89' Subararri

Wannacrawl

Well, i'm a brand new driver, and there's a great chance i will be inhereting an 89ish 4x4 Subaru wagon from my sister, as soon as she gets a new car. Now, i have looked around at off-road subaru's, and it seems that rock crawling is remotely possible with a good ol' subie. My question is if i buy a lift kit for it, and want to upgrade my tires to big old knobbies of some sort, am i going to have to drop a buch of money on custom wheels, or can i use the stock 14"ers and put them on there? Any help and comments would be awesome.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
do a google search for "lifted subaru" you will get a ton of sites

scorpionsubaru.com

there are some big Brats out there

old_brat.jpg

461019_21_full.jpg

car domain

Wannacrawl

yeah i've seen a bunch of these sites, they are pretty awesome. It seems like its around $500ish for a lift (kinda spendy) and around $100 a piece for a custom wheels so thats like 900 bucks right there. Does anyone know if i could drop some swampers or just maybe some all terrains on the stock 14" wheels it comes with? or any big tires at that?

Badger

I am the Brute squad
it would seem Super Swamper does make a 28x8.5x14.i think the problem you are going to run into is back spacing with the stock rims.if you really want to be asking these questions go hit up some Subaru forums nobody here knows anything about them to give you info on it.

Wannacrawl

Well, i just called Discount Tire, and asked the guy about getting a 14" wheel and a Bf goodrich all terrain tire for a subaru, and he kinda chuckled. He said that it would cost about $750 for 4 cheap-o plain black wheels, and the tires together. I kind of jumped when i heard that. Thats a bit of dough to drop on an old suby. Anybody have any ideas for a 4-lug 14" wheel that would work, or any ideas for that at all? Thanks

p.s. i tried to find a subaru forum to put this in, but i couldn't find one that was any good. Plus, rme is just freakin awesome.

tiny2085

HomeGrown
The problem with the factory suby wheels are that they are so dang narrow and have a terrible off-set to them, I'm not saying don't do it, but I am saying that i'd wait and buy a 1,000$ blazer. If you go to www.intercotire.com i think you can look at all the available sizes that they have.

Last edited:

Houndoc

Obviously not as big of a tire, but we used to run 185/85r13 snow tires to wheel an 84 Sub. With the adjustable suspension as the only "lift" still had almost 12" ground clearance.
Cheap and effective.