'97 tacoma build: Abner

sixstringsteve

thanks. The closer it remains to stock, the better it drives on the freeway. i didn't want to get too crazy and loose streetability.

zukijames

4 link rear radius arm front with ori struts and anti rock sway bars front and rear with hydro assist could do better on the free way than stock ifs.. you know you want too

sixstringsteve

I don't want to. Not even a little bit. Not even if it were free and someone else did the work. :)

I'm loving this truck.

Last edited:

yota87truck

Yotas ROCK
Nice work! I agree with the whole as close to stock as possible concept. People go all out and it just makes for a scary vehicle on and off road. Something like this is just as capable and more reliable and enjoyable. If I ever replace my Tacoma with a 4Runner I plan to run a similar setup. 2-3" lift with 35's and a little clean trimming.

sixstringsteve

thanks guys. I definitely love this truck. The only thing lacking right now to make it a better crawler is a second transfer case. As much as I'd like to run duals, I'm going to try to keep it stock. I realize that I'm not going to be able to run the rubicon until it gets duals, so I'm going to have to decide if running the rubicon this year is important enough to justify duals. If I could do a triple-shifter and keep my bench seat, I"ll probably go for it. I need to do a bit more research before then.

sixstringsteve

not with this rig. We had that discussion with my last rig, but it didn't work out. I tried to bend my shifters to clear the bench, but my legs are too short and I need the bench closer to the pedals than Goose does. :D A triple stick might work...

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
thanks guys. I definitely love this truck. The only thing lacking right now to make it a better crawler is a second transfer case. As much as I'd like to run duals, I'm going to try to keep it stock. I realize that I'm not going to be able to run the rubicon until it gets duals, so I'm going to have to decide if running the rubicon this year is important enough to justify duals. If I could do a triple-shifter and keep my bench seat, I"ll probably go for it. I need to do a bit more research before then.

Inchworm adapter and 4.7s? Or are you thinking you'll need a dual case with 4.7s for the Rubicon?

sixstringsteve

As you know, they don't make 4.7s for the taco t-cases (chain-driven), so I either need to swap the case out for a top-shift, or create a crawl box and put the taco case behind that.

I was thinking a TG adapter and a stock 2.28 crawl box in front of my taco case. I need to do some more research and see what modifications to drivelines/crossmembers would be needed to run a top shift case and ditch my stock case. I definitely miss my low t-case gears from my last rig.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I'm in kinda the same boat, I want duals or at least 4.7s behind my auto. I'd need to scrounge two gear-drive cases, an Inchworm auto adapter, and then the dual case adapter. That's bucks.

sixstringsteve

I've been enjoying the more scenic trails lately and I'm trying to decide if its worth it for me to go duals on this rig. Ultimately ill have another 4 door someday, so I may just hold off till I get a 4 door.

sixstringsteve

Here are some pics from the last trip I took. Quarterly Training Day at Miller Motorsport Park.

TrainingDayApr2012-123.jpg

TrainingDayApr2012-125.jpg

TrainingDayApr2012-134.jpg

TrainingDayApr2012-144.jpg

TrainingDayApr2012-155.jpg

TrainingDayApr2012-158.jpg