'97 tacoma build: Abner

sixstringsteve

No plans for WW, but that can always change with peer pressure on the spot. :D

The potential damage isn't really worth it to me. I've never done WW, but who knows, maybe someday. It seems a lot tougher than escalator to me.

zukijames

thats because you were on the right line in escalator lol but i think your probably right about it being harder.. but potential damage is prob about the same or less

sixstringsteve

A HUGE thank you to Kevin for helping me out tonight. Installing sliders has never been so much fun. Sorry for the smashed finger and the lateness of the hour when we finished. You are a pro welder now. Look out.

And thanks for swinging by Kyle, it was good to meet your wife.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
A HUGE thank you to Kevin for helping me out tonight. Installing sliders has never been so much fun. Sorry for the smashed finger and the lateness of the hour when we finished. You are a pro welder now. Look out.

And thanks for swinging by Kyle, it was good to meet your wife.

Thanks again for the pointers, and sorry we didn't get more done.

Soon as the caffeine kicks in, I'm gonna go stick some metal together and see if my welder holds a candle to yours.

sixstringsteve

he did an amazing job, I'm very happy with it. We got a lot of work done yesterday and took it on a shakedown run. I'll be updating the thread later today.

sixstringsteve

Well, it was an eventful weekend this past saturday.

I got to work on the sliders right away.

IMG_2816.JPG

IMG_2817.JPG

around 10 AM, Frieed showed up and went to work on adding to the rear bumper. He is quite the friend, and his attention to detail is crazy. Thanks for your help Eric!

IMG_2820.JPG

Me welding on the additions.

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

A couple hours later Brian showed up and went straight to work. We took the shell off, removed the sleeping platform, then he installed my diff drop in about 2 min. Then he started working on my rear targa bar. We were going for a 1st gen 4runner look. It turned out GREAT!

IMG_2862.JPG

Abner97Taco02

IMG_2855.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

As soon as I finished the last weld on the sliders, it was time to leave for our shakedown trip up Mineral Basin.

IMG_2824.JPG

It was a great trip. It had just rained a few hours before we were up there, so everything was loose and slippery. The duals are awesome, I couldn't be happier. The t-case skidplate sure hangs down low, I scraped it twice in the rock garden. I took all the easy lines because I still didn't have my budbuilt installed. I still get a lot of heat through the floor where the middle shifter boot comes through. I'd love to find a stock rubber shift boot to use, this cheap hurst one sucks.

sixstringsteve

On monday, 83trailblazer dropped off a TJ rear seat so we could see how that would work in the bed.

IMG_2864.JPG

IMG_2865.JPG

unfortunately it's too tall and my head sticks out over the top of the roof.

I've decided to go with some much lower profile Geo Tracker LSi rear seats. now I just need to find a pair.

sixstringsteve

Here's the to-do list before the Rubicon.

Immediate stuff:
- install bucket seats
- install duals w/skidplate/crossmember
- get driveshafts modified (shorten rear, lengthen front, build a spare rear)
- extend speedometer
- remove old sliders
- install new sliders
- install diff drop kit

- flush front diff
- install budbuilt skids
- install rear diff armor
- add tow points to rear bumper
- tie side of bumper into frame plate

Not as crucial, but still nice to have:
- install new CB/Antenna
- install cd player
- install cb radio
- install rubber shift boots

- purchase a spare lower ball joint and the tools needed to swap it
- install rock lights
- get the a/c charged
- put some Geo Tracker LSI seats in the back
- get a soft top

Someday:
- build a locking center console
- re-do the sleeping platform in steel/aluminum
- install/plumb york compressor

I'm halfway done with the rock light install, I should finish most of the wiring up tonight. I still need to find some geo tracker seats, but I may end up using the set from my current tracker until I can find some replacements. I need to install the budbuilt skid before my next wheeling outing.