98 S10 SAS build

leorn

reset
51" to the bottom of the door handle. Hope it will settle down just a little bit when its all done.

What is the measurement just to the frame?

Being one of the many toy guys I don't know a lot about s10's, so forgive my ignorance, but didn't zr2s come with a stock rear locker?

Is the 9-inch 31 spline?

There I think I exceeded my allowed # of ?s for the day

timsjeep

Being one of the many toy guys I don't know a lot about s10's, so forgive my ignorance, but didn't zr2s come with a stock rear locker?

Is the 9-inch 31 spline?

There I think I exceeded my allowed # of ?s for the day

No worries, I am full of dumb questions. At least yours are good ones. :)

I will measure the frame height when I get it back on the ground Monday or Tuesday.

Yes, the rear 10 bolt does have some type of locker in it. Not sure how good they are. I just really wanted more width or I might have kept it.

Yes, the 9" is a 31 spline. I hope it holds together, I have read nothing but bad things about the Currie HP's. I am gambling that my driving style (finesse and no hp) will keep it together.

Should be able to post up some more progress pics tomorrow. Lots of new items this weekend. :)

Last edited:

Chevycrew

Just for reference, we have a stock s10 here at the house, frame of 10" with 37" to the very bottom of the door handle.

Doing the math, tims s10 should have 24" under the frame.

timsjeep

Well here are some updates. Sean and I have been working like crazy out in the garage trying to get the truck closer to done. Here is a list of what we did this weekend.
Hydro assist mounts - still need to weld them to the arm and axle.
Trany crossmember installed
Rear axle truss
Rear brake lines bent and mounted
Rear shocks mounted
Rear axle anti wrap bar
some minor engine repairs... engine oil pan had crack and needed to be tig welded
Engine cross member made removable... was only welded in before oil pan problem
changed out the front output of tcase to yoke style for front driveshaft.

On to the pics. Sorry they are so bad.

IMG_2451.jpg

IMG_2452.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

IMG_2459.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

IMG_2464.jpg

IMG_2476.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg

IMG_2478.jpg

IMG_2480.jpg

IMG_2481.jpg

IMG_2483.jpg

Last edited:

timsjeep

Tomorrow I will start on the front shock hoops, mount the PSC ram, finish up some more engine mods, front ring and pinion and locker install, sliders and rear bumper. Should be drive ready by tuesday. :) EJS is getting really close. This is going to come down to the wire.

timsjeep

Is the 9-inch 31 spline?[/QUOTE

Ok, the frame is 23.5" from the ground and the bottom of the door knob is 50.5" from the ground. this is about as low as a leaf sprung S10 can sit.

leorn

reset
That should be a nice and stable. I'll keep an eye out for you at EJS. It would be cool to see it in action.

timsjeep

Nice fab work, the rear axle & traction bar look great!
:cool:

Thanks Greg, it was a lot of work but I thought it turned out good. I just hope I can keep the HP together.

That should be a nice and stable. I'll keep an eye out for you at EJS. It would be cool to see it in action.

I will be there from tuesday to Sunday or Monday. It would be fun to meet some of you so make sure and introduce yourself.

Tim

timsjeep

Update:

Sean finished the front axle today and mounted the assist ram. Did some more painting and cleaning. We also installed the new brakes, calipers, and warn hubs. Front axle looks really good. Going to take a few days off from the S10 while the snow flys. Hope to finish the sliders and rear bumper this week still. Might have to wait till saturday to work on the belly skid. We did drive it out of the garage today under its own power. :) Try to get some pics up soon.

timsjeep

Today we got the exhaust done and was able to drive it around town a bit. Does really well. I can't believe how great the truck handles. Its actually fun to drive. Get lots of looks. I with we could have put 5:13's in the axles instead of 4:88's, but oh well. Tomorrow we will get the front shock hoops in and mount the front shocks. I also started running the ARB line and mounted the compressor. Tomorrow we will get the wiring done and make sure the locker works. Sean is working on the sliders and bumper.

timsjeep

Today we mounted the front shocks and took it to a rock pile for a little flex test. Tried to flex it out in the garage, but couldn't get it high enough. The rocks were better but I had too much trimming to do and we still couldn't get it all the way flexed. We did get the numbers for the bump stops, they will be done tomorrow. We finished the sliders and bumper. Waiting for paint to dry so we can mount them tomorrow as well. I just find myself thinking how amazing this truck drives down the road. Its like it came with this drive train from the factory. It feels very satisfying to know how much work went into this rig and that the final product was worth it.

Here are some of the pics from the rock pile. Both front and rear have a long way to go before they are maxed out. This thing should handle really well in the rocks of a trail. Cant wait for moab.

IMG_2495.jpg

IMG_2496.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

IMG_2490.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

IMG_2492.jpg

IMG_2493.jpg

IMG_2497.jpg

IMG_2500.jpg

timsjeep

Big day today, got the sliders on, bumper on, belly skid on, front fenders trimmed, Front bump stops done and mounted. Truck is done for now. I am off to Moab to test and otherwise wheel the hell out of it. It seems to drive very well on road, off road is still an unknown. I think it will do great. Here are some pics that I took today just to show what it looked like before any rocks :) Never look this good again.

When we get back from EJS, I will start on a front bumper similar to the one on the blue S10 in the flex pic below. I will also be working on a bed rack for my spare, CO2 tank, ARB fridge, tools etc....

IMG_2502.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg

IMG_2504.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg

IMG_2507.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2520.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

IMG_2501.jpg