A Little Rant on Today's Generation of Kids and Their (lack of) Work Ethic

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I think each generation complains about the one coming up behind them, so there's nothing new there. However, I think this is definitely a harder workforce to navigate through than any I've personally witnessed. Granted I've only been in the workforce for 40 years now so not much in the form of experience.

I watch the younger generations come and go through our company's hiring like a revolving door. Some quit halfway through the first day, that is if they even show up for the first day, while most don't make it the first full week. We even only work our new hires 3 or 4 days for the first couple of weeks to "ease" them into the "work thing" plus we have lowered our minimum expectations quite a bit over the past 4 or 5 years now. And shouldn't that "work thing" have been taught long before now? I simply don't understand it, the pay is good, benefits are excellent, and we are offering many more shifts so kids can obtain that "work/life" balance that they feel they deserve. And I'm sorry but work/life balance is a farce, there is no such thing and don't even get me started on that word "deserve" that everyone throws around. I'm sorry, we only deserve things once we've earned them and definitely not on day one. Deserving something from your employer such as a good shift was to do your time in the trenches, sort of speak, and worked a variety of shifts doing a wide range of jobs and tasks to obtain skills and prove yourself. I remember actually working shit shifts and shit schedules to get more exposure to certain tasks that I could become proficient at and use it as some form of "leverage" in which to get a better shift eventually that I could earn, not deserve.

As productive members of a society we are to work and provide a product or service to society or we are a drain on society, one or the other and we shouldn't be a drain until we retire and after a long and productive career in the workforce where we contributed. People these days are always looking for the easy way out. I have watched my brother try every easy way out or get rich quick scheme my whole life. He was always looking for the easy buck yet now in his 70's and doesn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. IF he would have saved some of that money that he threw away chasing foolishness all those years or what he thought he "deserved" then he would have a pretty nice sized nest egg now to enjoy. I also see these "influencers" on social media and think that people are lulled into thinking that everyone should be able to make a living without actually doing anything. That's simply not how society was meant to function.

I think that parents over the past two to three generations now have set their kids up for more failures and disappointment than any generation(s) previously. I understand that we didn't want our kids to go without but by not teaching them to work for things and then appreciate them when acquired we have turned into a lazy and entitled society. I remember when our son was in grade school and neighbors were hand selecting the teachers their kids would have for the upcoming school year because they heard they were either "fun" or they didn't assign much homework. We did no such thing and when asked once I mentioned that our kids will not be able to select their bosses or co-workers and they need to learn how to fit in and associate with people who don't necessarily agree with them all the time on every subject. I was looked at like I had a second head. :thinking:

I realize I am probably a bit cynical about such things as work, but I was raised on a dairy farm and there was ALWAYS work to be done and no time to just sit idle. I watch our neighbor kids walk home from school with their heads down staring at their phones like zombies. They are slugs, they don't move with purpose, they walk right past the garbage cans that have been sitting out for a couple of days on the street because they are too lazy to bring them the 30' up the driveway and I watch their parents mowing the lawn or worse, hiring it out all while having young kids at home that should be learning to work. Last winter I watched our neighbors with 5 kids drive over snow in their driveway most of the winter because it didn't get shoveled. I watched the grandfather one day out there shoveling their driveway after clearing his own yet the kids were nowhere to be seen. They are doing their kids a huge disservice and setting them up for failure.

Work creates pride in oneself, regardless of the task yet we are depriving our kids and grandkids of this opportunity to feel good about contributing to society and the ability to accomplish tasks. We are teaching them that work is something to be avoided and all companies are bad and the leaders are even worse. Then by the time they get out into the workforce they don't know how to work and surely don't have any respect for the job or the leaders of the company/organization. I agree that not all companies are good and not all leaders are good, but I can say that a vast majority of them are much better these days than when I entered the workforce back in the early 80's.

Many people these days are entitled and simply don't understand basic economics. They don't understand that a company's objective is to make money. They think they "deserve" something before they have earned it and the company owes them just because they showed up and walked in the door. We have so many freakin' employee "appreciation" programs at work it sickens me. My hell, I get appreciated enough each time my check clears the bank, then the company and I are even until next week. They don't owe me anything more and I don't owe them anything other than the opportunity to come in tomorrow and prove myself again.

Like the saying goes "soft times create soft men".

I'll get off my high horse now as I realize that I am probably the minority in my ways of thinking. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

J-mobzz

I have zero loyalty to my corporate overlords but I'm loyal to my boss who has looked out for me for many, many years. I am also loyal to several of the people I work with who I've been friends with since before they had kids who are now in college. It's easier to be loyal when you are rewarded appropriately though.
Yes that is a great way to say it I am loyal to people. I guess my situation for the past several years has been different than Normal being a remote field territory manager I’m lucky if I talk to my manager for 10 minutes every other week. As long as my territory’s are producing they don’t seem to care.

My inside sales person just put in her notice. We have a relationship where I’ve known for months she was looking for something new. And if she walked out without notice because it was in her best interest I would be nothing but happy for her regardless of the extra stress it puts on me.

DAA

I need an intelligent, hard working front end girl (woman) to work at Wasatch Trailers. Do you think we can find one? Nope. Anyone know someone that fits this description?

I do but she's working the front end of a dentist office right now with cushy hours and benefits and probably more expensive than you are looking for.

- DAA

DAA

Which, is actually on point for the subject. It's my daughter I'm talking about. She has quit four jobs in the last year. Gave notice each time. But got a nice raise and/or better pay and working conditions for every time she quit one job to go to another. This most recent job, was a dentist she had worked for previously that opened a new office and called her and basically gave her what she asked for to come work the desk (she had been a dental assistant for him previously and quit that partly because she just didn't like digging around in peoples mouths, lol!).

- DAA

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I rarely share my controversial thoughts, cause Momma said if can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.
So this might piss some people off:
Work ethic includes working to take care of the physical body. This is the most visible proof of work ethic.
You can never own good health, and rent is due every day.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'll be forthcoming, I hear more about these employment woes than I realize as an employer. I'm very fortunate in that regard. I've got over a dozen employees on the payroll @ Cruiser Outfitters and regularly hire a dozen others for contracted work via my other business. On the topic of current generation kids, I've been very fortunate with our younger employees, we currently have 4 employees in high school, they come with their quirks but have overall been great. We've lost two to missions in the last few months, one to university pursuits (his wife's doctorate program). I've had a single high school age kid that just didn't work out over the years. Of the older staff, I've got some fantastic folks, I think I treat them right ($$) and they are honorable and have good work ethic.

Re: loyalty to the employer. It's a two way street and while the 'boss is always a dummy' to some employees, those same employers often identify those exact 'no-notice' employees before the situation ever exists to prove it. For example we won't hire someone that offers to 'quit today and start tomorrow' from their current job. Simply because whatever help they can offer us today will be catastrophically surpassed by the hurt they could/would put on us if they bailed with zero little/no notice during a rush busy week or a time when their counterparts here were traveling.

Likewise, pay increases and bonuses reflect that loyalty, it's been pretty easy to identify honestly. I've been fortunate to deal with very few employees that quit without traditional two week notice (just 2 or 3 in 20 years) and/or fire an employee (really just one to date). We've had many come and go, they get bigger better job offers after finishing school, find work closer to home or start their own companies. In the end I still have good relations with 95% of them and really do wish it were 100%.

Speaking of, we lost our shipping Manger today. Myles has been with us for 4 years and was a fantastic steward of shipping and trained many young employees in the shipping department, many of which count this as their first job so they had some adjustments needed :D

1694658295562.png

He (Hawaiian Cruiser shirt) gave us several months notice of his departure and worked to train new-hire Calvin (maroon shirt) to replace him. Several of the young folks are still at school and missed the team 'Bye bye Miles' lunch today.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Do you count Olly as one of the high school kids? He looks just like he did when I met him at T-Ville lol

No, he's definitely one of the more senior staffers both in age and tenure.

Funny, we actually tell young employees that Olly is HR. Have a problem, go talk to Olly. Nobody talks shit to a dude with cauliflower ear and a sailors mouth 😀

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I just feel like I need to rant for a minute.

We have recently been looking for more employees at the shop. It all started when we hired a couple guys and were doing pretty well. They had some experience when they hired on, and we continued training them and both were doing well. Then one day, one didn't show up. No sign, no call, email, or text. The next day (he was off on Monday) the other one called in saying today would be his last day, but he didn't come in, so wasn't sure how it could be his last day if he didn't come in. Still never heard from the first kid, I guess he did send an email to the boss asking about his last check, which he always gives in person if something like this happens, as he wants to know the reasoning behind quitting, leaving, no call/shows, etc. He still hasn't picked up his check. Fun fact I guess he's got at least 10 checks that previous employees never came to collect from over the years.

The second kid finally came in and said a big reason he left is no one would talk to him. Granted, this kid was pretty quiet himself, but I get it. I personally try to talk to every employee as I am going through the shop. From what I saw and our current staff I don't know why they wouldn't talk to him, or if he was just saying that to save face.

Now, we have been looking for new employees. In the last month we have had probably 12-15 people interviewed, 10 accepted positions, at least one no show the first day, 5-7 come in the first day, spend a full day training, then no show the next day. One kid was somewhat part time, had 2 days off a week, 3 days were half days, and 1 full day. He did not show what would be the 2nd day of work, and after I sent him a text he said he hurt his back and couldn't lift anything. Ok, come in and sweep floors, or clean or do busy work that we sometimes do not have time for as we are so busy. He came in 2 days total before he quit, but he did at least come in and talk with us and mentioned it wasn't for him. Another kid did email in (after one day - and after his day off) saying it was too hard of work and he wasn't expecting that when he hired on... Out of the 10+ people we interviewed, hired, did paperwork on, and started training, we have 2 that have stayed and are great additions to the team. The other guys they are working with are all great guys, none of them are mean or rude, and they are taking their time to teach and train every new hire we get. I personally talked with every new hire throughout the day, and at the end of each day seeing if things were going well, if they were liking the work, etc and all told me yeah and had good attitudes. So it is just mind boggling that we get complete no shows with no communication when every member of staff that has worked with them say they were doing great and had good attitudes when they were working with them.

I am sorry, but what were you expecting when you were applying to an automotive shop? And mind you, I don't think this is really that hard of work! Oil changes, tire rotations, and tire replacement is mostly what these kids would be doing! Yeah it is manual labor, but ultimately not hard work! We strive to have the best equipment for our staff and for our customers' benefit, and have many training tools at every new hire's hand. Not to mention great bonus programs for showing up, and doing some additional training. Plus more to grow and move up within the company.

Is today's generation just too soft? They want everything handed to them and can't be bothered to work? Are there new guidelines that they have to show they are 'attempting to work' to keep living off the government and thus costing everyone - including the would-be employee time, energy, and money? Is the interest in working on cars just not there like it used to be? I don't get it... But I would say Yes to almost all those at this point.

Thanks for reading my rant, if anyone is interested in working in the automotive industry, hit me up! :D I promise we really aren't bad people. :rofl:
I like all of the comments because they show that hard work and determination pay off in the end no matter what you do. All of my children and grandchildren have good jobs, some I would not choose, and all but one out of 13 are millionaires . Of course with today's government help that is not saying too much.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I like all of the comments because they show that hard work and determination pay off in the end no matter what you do. All of my children and grandchildren have good jobs, some I would not choose, and all but one out of 13 are millionaires . Of course with today's government help that is not saying too much.

That is AWESOME to hear. I get criticized by both family members as well as coworkers when I say that even in today's environment becoming a millionaire is not impossible. It does however, require discipline and hard work which unfortunately most people don't understand in this instant gratification society we live in. They don't want to accept that it takes two things to become a millionaire, time & money. If you don't have much time, it requires a lot of money. If you don't have much money, you need a lot of time. But it IS possible. I work with people that can't seem to visualize what 20 or 30 years down the road looks like because they are so focused on today. I tell them to take time to visualize what you want later in life then with each and every decision if they don't support that end goal, don't do it. Sounds pretty basic but most cannot visualize what they want other than what is right in front of them. I have family members and coworkers that have to have each and every new gadget out but can't seem to figure out where their paycheck is going each month. :thinking:

I agree that that a million won't go as far as it used to, but it is still a huge accomplishment and not one that should be scoffed at or discarded. I think a huge part of that is actually believing it can be accomplished. Once a person believes it then their behaviors and action almost instinctively reflect that belief.

Rather than criticize people with money I truly aspire to adopt those behaviors that they have used and enjoy hearing these success stories because inevitably there are things that I can do immediately as well. There are a lot of cars that I would like to build yet but I am unwilling to pull those funds from savings and investments because they will distract me from the end goal. Granted there is also that thought about no guarantees about tomorrow, but I like to think there is a nice balance between planning for the worst and hoping for the best outcome. I pray that by doing things now to support the wealth building will allow me to build some of the projects in my head when I retire.

I commend you on raising your kids and grandkids to be fiscally responsible and take matters into their own hands. 👏

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
That is AWESOME to hear. I get criticized by both family members as well as coworkers when I say that even in today's environment becoming a millionaire is not impossible. It does however, require discipline and hard work which unfortunately most people don't understand in this instant gratification society we live in. They don't want to accept that it takes two things to become a millionaire, time & money. If you don't have much time, it requires a lot of money. If you don't have much money, you need a lot of time. But it IS possible. I work with people that can't seem to visualize what 20 or 30 years down the road looks like because they are so focused on today. I tell them to take time to visualize what you want later in life then with each and every decision if they don't support that end goal, don't do it. Sounds pretty basic but most cannot visualize what they want other than what is right in front of them. I have family members and coworkers that have to have each and every new gadget out but can't seem to figure out where their paycheck is going each month. :thinking:

I agree that that a million won't go as far as it used to, but it is still a huge accomplishment and not one that should be scoffed at or discarded. I think a huge part of that is actually believing it can be accomplished. Once a person believes it then their behaviors and action almost instinctively reflect that belief.

Rather than criticize people with money I truly aspire to adopt those behaviors that they have used and enjoy hearing these success stories because inevitably there are things that I can do immediately as well. There are a lot of cars that I would like to build yet but I am unwilling to pull those funds from savings and investments because they will distract me from the end goal. Granted there is also that thought about no guarantees about tomorrow, but I like to think there is a nice balance between planning for the worst and hoping for the best outcome. I pray that by doing things now to support the wealth building will allow me to build some of the projects in my head when I retire.

I commend you on raising your kids and grandkids to be fiscally responsible and take matters into their own hands. 👏
Hard work and putting things off until you can pay for them is the answer.

rholbrook

I rarely share my controversial thoughts, cause Momma said if can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.
So this might piss some people off:
Work ethic includes working to take care of the physical body. This is the most visible proof of work ethic.
You can never own good health, and rent is due every day.
Hmmmmm. My fat ass begs to differ. I believe in working smarter not harder but I would put my work ethic up against anyone else’s. I work hard but I play harder.