A Plea For HELP! To Anyone Within A Reasonable Distance Of American Fork Canyon

jeepnski

I'm not a vehicle recovery expert, but have a lot of rigging, and anchor building experience. For rebar or angle iron "style" anchor I'd tilt back 15 degrees from load. There are several good ways to equalize your anchors for load sharing, however if done improperly, connecting anchors will weaken your system. Another technique that could probably be useful is a deadman (buried) anchor. Deadmen can be incredibly strong. Let me know if I can be of help. Either here, on the phone, or I could probably hike over on friday if needed. Basic 2, 3, & 5 point equalizing systems are pretty easy, but not necessarily intuitive. For load sharing images, google: magic x anchor, 3 point self equalizing anchor, load sharing anchors, etc.

jentzschman

Holey crap! From 2 pages to 14 in a single day! Awesome.

I have work Friday as well. If you can do it Saturday I would be free to help the entire day if need be.

snwbrdr852 PM me your number if you still need help or try Saturday.

Zam Man

Not sure if this will help But it gives an idea for some anchor systems and what they are rated at. With the 3 2 1 it is wrong in the picture.The one with 3 is in the front toward your load.Screen Shot 2013-07-03 at 3.45.35 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2013-07-03 at 3.47.15 PM.jpg

Team1k

Just had another thought. Depending on the weight rating of these spikes couldnt we simply put two stakes uphill (driver side) of the vehicle directly in line with the wheels/axles, chain a snatch block to each stake, put a chain/strap/whatever on the axle, then using two winches pull the vehicle sideways back onto the trail? My concern i guess would be putting too much strain on the axles. I wouldnt be worried if he had tons under there but maybe its not a good idea if hes running smaller axles. Although he is already on loose shale so maybe thats not an issue...

Team1k

Oh also im available anytime from right now til monday night so ill monitor this thread for anything i can do to help (looks like friday @730 am is the current plan)

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
Have we established a CB channel that everyone can turn to? It would be nice to have everyone on the same page, that way if communication is needed from the top of MEG, someone might be listening down the canyon. Conversely, people heading up during the day can get ahold of the working crew...

blznnp

man, I wish I was in town to come down and help, cool to see so many people stepping up and helping out, just shows how good this community is.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Have we established a CB channel that everyone can turn to? It would be nice to have everyone on the same page, that way if communication is needed from the top of MEG, someone might be listening down the canyon. Conversely, people heading up during the day can get ahold of the working crew...

I prefer Morris Code with the Jeep horn. :D

snwbrdr852

Funny you mention the horn morse code, cause that's exactly what I was doing trying to get the attention of a couple guys lower in the canyon when it happened. - - - ---- ---- ---- - - -

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Just had another thought. Depending on the weight rating of these spikes couldnt we simply put two stakes uphill (driver side) of the vehicle directly in line with the wheels/axles, chain a snatch block to each stake, put a chain/strap/whatever on the axle, then using two winches pull the vehicle sideways back onto the trail? My concern i guess would be putting too much strain on the axles. I wouldnt be worried if he had tons under there but maybe its not a good idea if hes running smaller axles. Although he is already on loose shale so maybe thats not an issue...

This was kind of a thought I had, you described it better than me. I was going to rely on a crappy drawing to show my idea

sixstringsteve

we tried that and I really don't think it's going to work. For some strange reason, tires don't want to slide perpendicular to how they're designed to. :D

We felt like we were more likely to flip the truck uphill than actually drag it sideways. We hooked the winch to the pull-pal above the truck, then hooked it to the front bumper. We pulled and pulled on the winch, and all it wanted to do was load the suspension on the driver's side. It didn't budge an inch.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
BUT if you were able to get a good attachment point directly to the axles it would no longer try to pull the rig over because it would be pulling straight on the tires pretty much but it was pointed out that the axles might not be able to withstand that kind of sideways pressure.

sixstringsteve

yeah, we were pulling from the frame/front bumper. We were afraid to pull from down low and decrease the weight on the uphill side.

It's going to make for a killer video when it's done!