A Plea For HELP! To Anyone Within A Reasonable Distance Of American Fork Canyon

snwbrdr852

Looks like my camera died right before the action started, but it might make for some good time-lapse style footage.
Uploading to Google Drive now, but it's gonna take a bit... 6 gigs.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
As others have said, the recovery could not have gone any more smoothly.

I was there taking a few pictures and shooting some video clips with my brand new camera. However, due to last-minute prep for my trip, I may not be able to share them with anyone until after the Rubicon. :(

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I believe bart said a coil pack died?

Does anyone know details of Bart's rig? If I have a coil pack in the garage that'll fit, I'll gladly donate it to him.

Also, great work guys! What a great example of the class and caliber of folks on RME.

snwbrdr852

I don't think Bart was able to nail down the cause out there, but the consensus was that it was very possibly just a loose wire somewhere.
Hopefully it will be an easy fix...

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Drive safe, Dempsey.

Who is getting stuck next month so we can tell our wives someone needs help?

snwbrdr852's recovery went so well that I was let down. I say we get him stuck better some place else and we'll have another go.

VICTORY!! Just got it home, but it looks like you guys have already heard.
I think we had around 16 guys, so once we all made it up there and decided on a plan, it went fairly quick.
Still a couple nerve-wracking moments, but no real issues. Between the trenches and those epic rebar anchor points, it was a pretty smooth operation.
Surprisingly, it didn't look like anyone had even touched it over the last couple days...

I can't even begin to tell you guys how grateful I am for all the help, in whatever form it's been given, to a total stranger.
You guys are awesome!!

Pleasure to help. If you hadn't gotten stuck I'd have been bumming around my house all day and cleaning the garage in 95 degree weather, so maybe I should be thanking you. :)

IMAG0917_zpseddc05b5.jpg

View from staging

IMAG0919_zps4ed9bc5c.jpg

Making a plan

IMAG0926_zpscbbbb3df.jpg

Trenches dug to level and direct the truck when he starts rolling (poor choice of words?)

IMAG0928_zps0f5ce88f.jpg

Setting the anchors

IMAG0929_zps22952567.jpg

Ready to hook up

IMAG0931_zpse65ca1c5.jpg

Each winch line ran uphill to a snatch block on the anchors

IMAG0932_zpse76e6642.jpg

And then to the side of the stuck truck. He drove out under his own power while the guys on the winches took in or paid out line to keep him on the trail. He turned around and drove through the same spot coming down, again with a winch line on his side to prevent any mishaps.

It was definitely a pleasure seeing the seasoned wheelers with recovery experience go to work. I'm happy to have learned some new tricks, stoked we got a fellow wheeler out of a jam, and the great weather and awesome scenery was a bonus. Great job, everyone.

Bart

It took almost 2 hours to get up to the 4Runner, but once there we formed a plan fairly quickly. We placed Brian and Mitch side by side facing up the hill. Mitch would anchor winch the front and Brian would anchor winch the rear. We decided it would be easier to drive out frontwards and dug trenches in front of front tires to help hold the rig. We used 2 of the wicked cool rebar anchors for the front and 3 for the rear. We chained them together, respectively, and set up snatch blocks, then found the best spots to attach the lines to the Runner. Once we agreed that everything was as good as we could get it we tightened up the lines and snwbrdr852 got into the rig and we began. He pulled forward and it came out well. There was a little rubbing in the rear where the chain was around the frame, but that was the only possible place for it. It was seriously out in 5 minutes once everything was in place. Then he got drive up and turn around come back to the washed out part of the road. We left one set of lines in place and put them through the door window, b pillar, and rear window, and tightened that up. He pendulumed him across without problem and we were home free. It was a blast and a true team effort. There was a lot of knowledge and great suggestions from everyone there.

It was a bummer to lose my rig so early in the day, but real glad I wasn't up at the top of Mary Ellen Gulch when it decided to not run. I don't think its much, maybe a lose wire, maybe the coil, maybe the fuel pump.

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Drive safe, Dempsey.

Thank you.

snwbrdr852's recovery went so well that I was let down.

Pleasure to help. If you hadn't gotten stuck I'd have been bumming around my house all day and cleaning the garage in 95 degree weather, so maybe I should be thanking you. :)

As many of you could imagine, Kevin made sure to keep the smack talk flowing throughout the ordeal... while Brian (and others) were all too happy to join him in that effort, as well.

The best (?) part: separate individuals independently made the same anti-Ford joke at the site of Bart's dead buggy within five minutes of each other.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
As many of you could imagine, Kevin made sure to keep the smack talk flowing throughout the ordeal...

Hey now, I didn't even start it this time. Brian was getting lippy, that's all.

And I want it on the record that I didn't make any jokes about the Stranger. I think that truck could beat up five of my truck. :ugh:

pcut

Saw the issue on expedition portal and decided to go along for the ride this morning. What an eye opening experience for a total neophyte off roader! A phenomenal group of guys who got me up what was far and away the worst ?road? my Land Cruiser and I had ever been on with only a few scrapes on my virgin sliders. It was incredible to watch this group of guys pull amazing amounts of gear out (including 2 generators and a hammer drill). Then they analyzed, planned and implemented- a great lesson for me all around. Thanks to all of you. I'll be visiting this site frequently in the future and look forward to meeting more of the crowd ( but please, on a little more mellow run to start out). Now it's time to take a nap and get rid of the adrenaline hang over.