Adding acetone to your gas can help increase mileage.

ZUK

crimsonride said:
Well, it may not have worked for you but I just finished my first tank and it's definitely helped me.

I usually have to fill up at about 170 miles on a tank. I haven't ever gotten more than 200 miles a tank on this engine and I'm at 220 right now and about to run out.

I'd be kind of interested what you are driving? is it carbed?

DrMoab

I have been running it in two of my vehicles.

My 97 ZJ with a 5.2L and my 89 XJ with a 4.0L. Both vehicles are MPI.

My Zj only gets driven back and forth to work. Its 15 miles each way all freeway. I use the cruse and always run the same speed(about 70 MPH)

Before the Acetone I was getting average about 14-15 MPG and getting 270-290 miles on a tank before filling it.
Since running the acetone I have been getting 17-19 MPG and have not got under 320 miles on a tank yet.(have run about four tanks)

Its a little harder to tell in the XJ because it sits on a trailer and only runs trails but this is what happend in Moab last week...

I got to town on Monday and filled the tank. Put acetone in. The first day there we ran Cliffhangar twice and ran around town a bit. The next day we did fins and things and spent more time running around town. I thought I better fill it because we were doing the spike in the morning. it took 11 gallons. So we did the Spike and the next day we did seven mile rim.
Got to town put another 11 gallons in. Next day did Pritchett canyon and spent more time running around. Burned 1/4 tank.

Now like I said checking MPG would be stupid doing trails but I know the last time I was there I was burning at least 9-11 gallons a day. This trip I put 22 gallons in for the whole week.

Seems to make a difference to me.

kirk86CJ

DrMoab said:
I have been running it in two of my vehicles.

My 97 ZJ with a 5.2L and my 89 XJ with a 4.0L. Both vehicles are MPI.

My Zj only gets driven back and forth to work. Its 15 miles each way all freeway. I use the cruse and always run the same speed(about 70 MPH)

Before the Acetone I was getting average about 14-15 MPG and getting 270-290 miles on a tank before filling it.
Since running the acetone I have been getting 17-19 MPG and have not got under 320 miles on a tank yet.(have run about four tanks)

Its a little harder to tell in the XJ because it sits on a trailer and only runs trails but this is what happend in Moab last week...

I got to town on Monday and filled the tank. Put acetone in. The first day there we ran Cliffhangar twice and ran around town a bit. The next day we did fins and things and spent more time running around town. I thought I better fill it because we were doing the spike in the morning. it took 11 gallons. So we did the Spike and the next day we did seven mile rim.
Got to town put another 11 gallons in. Next day did Pritchett canyon and spent more time running around. Burned 1/4 tank.

Now like I said checking MPG would be stupid doing trails but I know the last time I was there I was burning at least 9-11 gallons a day. This trip I put 22 gallons in for the whole week.

Seems to make a difference to me.

How much do you use? (per 10 gallons) and how do you get it in your tank? (Wondering about disolving the rubber in the filler hose)

Thanks for the update.

DrMoab

kirk86CJ said:
How much do you use? (per 10 gallons) and how do you get it in your tank? (Wondering about disolving the rubber in the filler hose)

Thanks for the update.
2 Oz per ten gallons of gas. Don't worry about it disolving the rubber. A guy took some rubber fill tubing and put it in a container of acetone for a week with no ill effects. Also you can fill the tank...put the acetone in and then sqirt a little more in to wash it down.(its what I do anyway)

XJEEPER

haven't tried it yet myself, but since gas contains low levels of acetone already, the fuel system components are designed to be exposed to it.

DrMoab

XJEEPER said:
haven't tried it yet myself, but since gas contains low levels of acetone already, the fuel system components are designed to be exposed to it.
Try it! I double dog dare you too! :D Come on Jeff you know you wanna come over to the dark side. Fix my trackbar and I will even give you a couple of ounces free :D BTW I gotta nut now.

DrMoab

crimsonride said:
So I ran another tank without it just to convince myself it really did work and I'm just about out and at 165 miles on this tank.
My dad found another article on this but its a printed one. This guy claims he has been running it in his vehicles for 50 years. According to him he said to run it in about every other tank. So this last time I filled up I didn't run any.(after two tanks with acetone) I am still getting high 17s which is about 3 MPG then I ever got before.

ryan31783

Drunken Monkey
I tried this in my 97 cherokee 4.0 auto, no lift with 235's I got 21 avg mpg (after accounting for the slightly taller tires) going to SLC empty and coming back with a 22RE in the back, cruise on 75 most of the way. I don't know if this is my imagination or what, but the jeep didn't downshift at all from OD on the way up there, even going up hills, so I'm thinking it has a little bit more power ...maybe. I usually get about 18 or 19 MPG going to Vegas and back (without acetone).

In the summer, I get better gas mileage than I would in the winter, doing the same type of driving, so it could be that they just changed back over to summer gas???