Toyota Advise on 4 Runner

Jeepj667

It says rebuilt title?

It was on a truck that got stuck in a hail storm. They totaled all the vehicles. It looks fine.

Man! These things go quick. I've called on three that had either just sold or have a deposit down.

Last edited:

Jeepj667

Well I bit the bullet. Bought a '98 SR5 today. 166k miles, No locker:(, Timing belt, water pump, radiator (preemptive) replaced last fall. New 265/75r16 Cooper tires. Great service history. Paid $5000.

4runner1.jpg

sixstringsteve

congrats, that's a sharp looking runner. Good call passing on the silver one. And yes, toyotas sell FAST.

Last edited:

cackalak

Just FYI, some (maybe all?) 98's had the rear springs recall. I'd take it by Toyota to see if yours falls under the recall. It was due to the excessive sagging issue.

Jeepj667

I haven't had a chance to look into lifts. What would 880's get me? What would I need/want for the rear? As for the recall, my rear doesn't sag but I'll try to stop by a dealer to check.

sixstringsteve

880s is about a 2" lift (that's what I ran on my runner). if you're not going to go with a big bumper and winch, I think 880s are the way to go. 881's are the next stiffness up, then 882's are even stiffer. There are a lot of budget lifts for runners, but I am 100% sold on Old Man Emu with the Light Racing upper control arms. In fact, that's what I've run on my past 2 tacomas and last 4runner too.

Jeepj667

Sounds good. I plan on a bumper down the road but probably no winch. I'm not really in the market for a lift right now, just spent all my money on the truck, but what are you looking to get out of the springs?

Jeepj667

I appreciate the offer Steve, but I think I'll wait and get 881's down the road.
Did you have a build thread for your 4Runner? What was her name? I'd like to look it up.

sixstringsteve

clara. I didn't do a whole lot to it. Kevin B. owns it now. 881s are good if you get a bumper, that's a good decision.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
The Wiferunner nee Clara is sporting 880s and Nitrochargers in front now, and I think it's perfect. No bumper.

Last edited:

Jeepj667

What's the deal with swapping an e-locker third into my non-locker housing? Will it just fit right in? Or do you have to clearance the housing too?

sixstringsteve

You have to grind the housing, add some weld to it, plug 2 stud holes, and drill and tap 2 new holes for the 2 longer studs. Kind of a pain. If you're really good at fab work and you're up for a challenge, I say go for it.

However, I think it's better to just get an entire elocker axle out of a 4runner and swap the entire thing in. It'd be WAY less work than modding yours, and it'll be leak-free and cleaner. I've retrofitted 3 different axles for the elockers, and they never end up nearly as clean as stock. 2 of mine ended up leaking, and one ended up coming apart at the studs on Elephant Hill, draining all my fluid so it had to be towed home. That's and a bend driveshaft are the only trail-breakage I've ever had in my life. :(