Advise on v-6 into 84 toyota

660griz

Looking for any advise on putting a v-6 into a 84 Toyota. Best engine, etc. Which adaptor would I need to bolt up to my stock tranny? Or would an auto be better. It also has a marlin crawler in it. Thanks for any advise.

marvin82

Rocking the Yota!
What do you do with your truck? DD? Trailer queen? Only vehicle?
It makes a big difference!

Example, have what's left of a '85 4runner, had 22re w56 marlin crawler.

Put in 4.3 700r4. Great torque and love the auto BUT hindsight as it is.... Wish I had kept the 22re w56 combo.
Mpg- dropped, reliability-dropped, adapters are Effin expensive! I have more into the swap without paying for the motor and transmission than if I had rebuilt the 22re.

I have to drive mine to the trail and back, still working on keeping it cooled down enough and well guess I'm a little simple!

Sometime in the future I could totally see trading motor trans back to the 22re/w56 set up! Just have to find a local to trade with and well... Start a new build!!

It can be done super clean but takes a lot of time and $.

Reguardless to what v-6 you choose you need a harness, (likely modified) transfer case adapter, lots of time and $ to make it work. Stock transmission can work if you play nice... Most have difficulty with doin that with the extra torque and HP.

My .02

Sent from magic wish granting phone

Last edited:

abhaulr1

Bush Eaters
I have one in my 95' 4runner. motor 97' 4.3, th350. yota case. I used a toyota v6 radiator. I have no issues cooling it with the stock fan. I get 17-19 mpg without od. I found a used adapter on pirate for 125 shipped. I used a stock harness and modified it. Use a ford bronco fuel pump with the stock in tank pump. SAS with 4:10s and 35's. I also run one in my cj7 with th350, dana 300, and yota axles. they work great.
Dwayne