AF Canyon 6/13/03 - Merry Ellen Gulch

allterrain

AllTerrain
As a matter of fact I did not. I had some previious family plans that could not be changed. I did however invite numerous people and clubs and met personally with the event organizers just days before the event at South Valley Motorsports. It was the first rally I have missed in the last 6 years and I apologize for my lack of involvement...

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Guys,
From what I know of allterrain, he doesn't have to apoligize for missing one rally.

Portnzuk, where are you going with this line of questioning? I mean, before you ask questions about a single event, you should know something about the person you are asking about.

I just now looked at the photos. I'd have to agree, the photos of the rigs running through the lake don't really look good, and it doesn't take too much imagination to see what a greenie could do with those photos of the rigs in the lake.

I've never been to that area, so it looks like a big mud puddle to me, but if that is truly the lake, I really suggest keeping out of it.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
I was just wondering didn't mean it in a bad way just wondered family first man.

I don't know if I like this whole forum thing kind of sucks when people bag on people and think there crap for what they do. sorry for not being a tree huggen squirrel humpen rockcrawler.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Hey I was one of thows who went through the lake one time i went through. I didn't meant to affend him in anyway it just sucks that everytime someone goes on a trail and some one see's that someone ran over a flower they get there butts kicked on this forum. do it in a better way come on.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Hey I was one of thows who went through the lake one time i went through. I didn't meant to affend him in anyway it just sucks that everytime someone goes on a trail and some one see's that someone ran over a flower they get there butts kicked on this forum. do it in a better way come on. I guess i'm the devil now for not comming to the rally well sorry for not going I'll make sure to go to teh next one even if I have to loose my Job.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Portrnrzuk
Hey I was one of thows who went through the lake one time i went through. I didn't meant to affend him in anyway it just sucks that everytime someone goes on a trail and some one see's that someone ran over a flower they get there butts kicked on this forum. do it in a better way come on. I guess i'm the devil now for not comming to the rally well sorry for not going I'll make sure to go to teh next one even if I have to loose my Job.

I'm not slamming you for missing the rally, in fact, I missed it as well. As far as this thread goes, and your attendance at the rally, they had nothing to do with each other. I misunderstood the intent in your question of allterrain, a hazard of communicating through the net.

As far as people getting slammed for this type of stuff, perhaps it comes off as pretty rough (again, a hazard of communicating through the net), but I'm hoping that the intent is to help educate us in what is right and what is wrong.

As I stated, I don't know that area too well, and if that is just a huge mud puddle, and not the lake, then I guess it isn't such a big deal. However, if that is the actual lake, you have to admit, greenies could do a lot of damage with one of those photos.

jeff cardall

Banned
Originally posted by BlackSheep

I've never been to that area, so it looks like a big mud puddle to me, but if that is truly the lake, I really suggest keeping out of it.
it is a big mud hole that isnt part of the lake.it is there from run off and the melting snow a couple more days of hot weather and it will be gone.the lake never gets high enough to put water in the mud hole.that mud hole is seperate from the lake.and the whole time we were up there not one person in the group went of the trails.;)

allterrain

AllTerrain
Look, I'm sure you are a great guy who loves to go wheelin. We all are. But listen, times have changed and everything we do is put under a microscope and watched by someone. There are no doubt SUWA members reading this post right now. I have been involved in the fight to protect trails from closure for a few years now and it gets political and at times we have to police ourselves.
What you guys did was obviously a ball and you had a good time. What I am here to tell you is that it is no longer OK to just go your own way and the rest of the world be damned. The Forest Service will close an area for less reason than what you guys did at the mud hole in a minute.
They can ticket you and even arrest you if warranted. That area is a key moose habitat and they rely on that mud hole in the dry times. The trail patrol builds fences and monitors the area on a regular basis and if the habitat is threatened, they will protect it. Bottom line.

I meant no personal offense to you or your friends, but you were out of line and we as a group of four wheelers need to protect our access. The trails are ours to lose if we don't all step up.

Preaching? Maybe. But sometimes we need a reminder lesson.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by jeff cardall
it is a big mud hole that isnt part of the lake.it is there from run off and the melting snow a couple more days of hot weather and it will be gone.the lake never gets high enough to put water in the mud hole.that mud hole is seperate from the lake.and the whole time we were up there not one person in the group went of the trails.;)

OK, then I have less concern for whatever damage the photos of the rigs in the puddle can do in the wrong hands.

However, as seen in the past, people can use stuff like that in whatever context they choose to if you (or I or someone knowledgeble) isn't there to defend them.

allterrain

AllTerrain
It is a mudhole now because we are the 4th or 5th year of a major drought.
That is Forest Lake and it has been a small lake in the past and beautiful.

jeff cardall

Banned
Originally posted by BlackSheep

OK, then I have less concern for whatever damage the photos of the rigs in the puddle can do in the wrong hands.

However, as seen in the past, people can use stuff like that in whatever context they choose to if you (or I or someone knowledgeble) isn't there to defend them.
yeah we see what every one is saying.we want the trails left opend to but people shouldnt chew as$es for a little mud puddle.and if our group did offend any one then we are sorry but we were very carful on what and where we went that day.and we didnt know people would have a heart attack over a stupid mud hole.i my self am willing to do what ever to help keep trails opened:p

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
As Jeff said i would do the same I love AF canyon yes I have made bad judgments on some of theplaces i have gone. sorry if I hurt anyones feelings i felt bad that people told me I should be ashamed.

allterrain

AllTerrain
Now you know a liitle more. SUWA is trying to close 9 million acres in southern Utah over atv tracks in some sand washes. I didn't say it made sense, it's just the way it is today...
Have fun, but be careful. End of speech from me.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
I'm spent. Hope no hard feelings. I'm kind of a soft spoken person and I guess teh rallys arn't my think I like to sit back and watch instead of get involved. I need to work on that.:D

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Funny thing, I noticed that pic earlier in the week and didn't say anything but had intended to send a PM encouraging the pic taker to remove it quietly.

AllTerrain is correct; none of the sort is allowed, and you can/will be ticketed for driving through the lake or any of the small mud-ponds that are left around the perimeter whilst the lake shrinks in the summer heat.

AF is a super touchy subject right now and all users really need to 'watch it'.

EZ