AF Canyon Night Run - July 10th, 2010

sixstringsteve

The more the merrier. I know it's three weeks out, but next week is MMP, then the week after is the 4th (way too crowded up AF canyon).

July 10th. Meet at the chevron below the mouth of the canyon at 7 PM (on highland highway, SR92). We'll run Mineral Basin and Forest Lake.

If you've never been up there and you like wheeling, this is the best chance to go with a big group who will be patient.

I'd recommend 33's and a locker if possible, but we've taken stock tacomas and sami's on 31's with no locker, but it was a LOT of work. You'll want sliders at least.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I don't have lockers or 33's but I do tend to sexy up the place. The road to Mineral Basin is still closed last I heard (this AM).

sixstringsteve

a diesel is close enough to a locker :)

You make that trail look easy, I'm not worried about ya.

If anyone with an update on Mineral Basin road can chime in when there's a change, that'd be great. Why is it closed? Storm damage?

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Totally wrecked by wash-out.... there's no road left on either side of the pipe that the stream is supposed to flow through. The road washed out in 3 places including the hole I fell into. The wash-outs were all fixed except that one, there's a barricade across the road that tards are driving around.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Went up this morning to survey the damage. The bridge below the rock garden is completely gone. I am going to be talking with the FS this week to find out what plans are in store to reopen the road. There is some major damage around the wash out from idiots driving across and disregarding the ROAD CLOSED sign. From the looks of it, could be quite some time before they get it reopened.

sixstringsteve

Dang. Too bad so many people don't understand the whole "tread lightly" concept. If we need to organize a cleanup/restoration day, I"m there!

sixstringsteve

Sweet! We'll see if Mineral Basin gets fixed by then. Anyone have any pictures of how washed out mineral basin is?

sixstringsteve

Thanks for pointing us to the right link Bear. I'll subscribe to it so I know when cleanup/construction work days are going on.

So, it looks like we'll just be running Forest Lake on the 10th unless a miracle happens and we get Mineral Basin fixed before then.

utahluge

Finally Got My Truck!!
Got the PM, I will be back in town this weekend from my ARMY training... then heading out before the trip for my duty station; Ft. Hood, TX. It was fun to go on a few runs with ya'll!