Northern Utah AF Canyon on 8-16-14

Is anyone going up tomorrow?

I'll be heading up with a friend who just bought a jeep. We may do the first part of Forest Lake, maybe up to Graveyard Flats (MEG) and then to the Rock Garden in Mineral Basin. If my jeep isn't overheating, we'll head to Tyng's Grave on Miller Hill.

9am (departing Draper) to 1ish, so 3 hours or so in the canyon? Hmmm....maybe 9am at Tibble (leave Draper at 8am?)

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Hey Brett,

I no longer have a suitable rig but if you have an empty seat I'd love to ride along. and I'm close

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I'm in. I'll try to steal the wife's 4Runner, and if I can't do that I'll be in my landwhale of an F150 and Forest Lake might be interesting :). Eric, I'll have a seat for you, do you want to meet or shall I pick you up?

ate oh won ate nine won seben for six seben

Kevin B.

New guy dominates Forest Lake.

20140816_104756_zpsbf6qivth.jpg

Old guy dominates Forest Lake.

20140816_104934_zpsjsfomgop.jpg

One of these things is not like the others (and I'm not talking about the Toyota).

20140816_105538_zpsad8nijdo.jpg

Eric took more pics than I did, hopefully he posts the good ones. Pleasure spending the morning upcanyon with you fellows, appreciate the invite!

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I'll play

Maverick in the Rock Garden at the start of Forrest Lake trail:

IMG_3227_zps6cd37c8e.jpg

Mavericks Friend with new Jeep in the same spot:

IMG_3229_zpscafd5735.jpg

MBryson in the Rock garden at the base of Mineral Basin:

IMG_3236_zps301af61b.jpg

Kevin B in front in smelly Toyota:

IMG_3245_zps8d277e81.jpg

Cabin in the meadow on Miller Hill
IMG_3247_zps4f73838f.jpg

Old Wheel Barrow

IMG_3252_zpsf7c28b6b.jpg

I have other Pics with the kiddos, but won't presume to post pictures of other peoples kids on the interwebs....
PM me if you want them.

Last edited:

aRR

I must have just missed this- I got up there about 7:30 on Saturday.
Are there signs that show the route to Forest Lake?
I was by myself and an ABS sensor failure has killed my 4x4 for the moment, so I just wandered around on some fairly mediocre trails, beautiful canyon though!

Kevin B.

Can't miss it, it's the turn down and to the right that crosses the creek just before Dutchmans Flat. There's a smallish sign. Once you're on it there's no turns except for a couple campsites and a loop near the top.

http://binged.it/1oJGrdK

Tonkaman

I was by myself and an ABS sensor failure has killed my 4x4 for the moment, so I just wandered around on some fairly mediocre trails, beautiful canyon though!

I'll have to take you up there sometime rob. The very beginning of the trail is a drop across the river. It's a fun drive but is a bit tougher than snakes so you may want 4wd if your alone.

aRR

Yeah, gotta sort that out. No ABS lines disconnected or anything so I haven't figured it out yet. Tires are getting a little bald too. Le sigh.
That'd be rad to head up there with you sometime Derek- I'll be living just one exit south of the canyon in 3 weeks!