AF Canyon singletrack day/weekend.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm hoping to be there. I've got new tires and tubes showing up tomorrow, oil's changed, air filter is cleaned, and I'm ready to ride :D (Haven't rode since our Moab trip)

:cool:

I'm really looking forward to riding AF Canyon, the Fall colors should be kicking in and the weather looks like it will be perfect for high mountain riding!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Oh man things aren't looking good for me right now. I drove the last nail in the ATK's coffin last week :rofl: and I haven't even fired up my new bike yet so there isn't much time to tune it in. I'm trying as hard as I can, but its not looking too promising right now :( I'll post up for sure by Friday.

pELYgroso

'Merica
sheeeooooot, what about us church-going people that have to teach classes and stuff? No biggie, I'll be up there in the next week or so anyways! AF canyon is my hands down favorite place to ride. I try and get up there every other week or so! NOTHING beats that single track!

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
sheeeooooot, what about us church-going people that have to teach classes and stuff? No biggie, I'll be up there in the next week or so anyways! AF canyon is my hands down favorite place to ride. I try and get up there every other week or so! NOTHING beats that single track!

X2 X2 there's some sections up ther that are just awesome!!!
I think my favorite section, is the one that takes you to the top ridgeline of brighton & looks down the ridge to alta.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Fiddlesticks! I'm stuck working in Phoenix for the next week and a half. Am I doomed to miss every RME ride?

I even brought my new DR-Z down with me to get some trail practice time.... and broke a hole in the side of the motor within 10 seconds of hitting the dirt.... and lost most of my engine oil without realizing it.... *sigh*

Yet again, have enough fun for me too!

Jared

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I haven't started the bike in a couple of weeks... dead battery. Put it on the charger for a few hours and it shows fully charge, hit the starter button and it spins for just a second before click.. click.. click. Time for a new battery and a clean air filter.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Oh man things aren't looking good for me right now. I drove the last nail in the ATK's coffin last week :rofl: and I haven't even fired up my new bike yet so there isn't much time to tune it in. I'm trying as hard as I can, but its not looking too promising right now :( I'll post up for sure by Friday.

That sucks Andrew! What happened to the ATK? Screw tuning it before hand, do it on the trail! :D

Easy answer... Skip church! :guilty:

60% excited to ride with ya.... :p

X2 X2 there's some sections up ther that are just awesome!!!
I think my favorite section, is the one that takes you to the top ridgeline of brighton & looks down the ridge to alta.

Not sure if I've ridden that one! You going to make it out Goose?

Fiddlesticks! I'm stuck working in Phoenix for the next week and a half. Am I doomed to miss every RME ride?

I even brought my new DR-Z down with me to get some trail practice time.... and broke a hole in the side of the motor within 10 seconds of hitting the dirt.... and lost most of my engine oil without realizing it.... *sigh*

Yet again, have enough fun for me too!

Jared

:( Sorry to hear, do you think there was any permanent damage? I actually did something real similar on my first ride out with my DR650. It wasn't as bad as yours, but I put a small hole in the engine case after dropping the bike on the shifter. I patched it up with JB Weld, then put engine case covers over both sides!

I haven't started the bike in a couple of weeks... dead battery. Put it on the charger for a few hours and it shows fully charge, hit the starter button and it spins for just a second before click.. click.. click. Time for a new battery and a clean air filter.

Motorcycle batteries are pretty picky like that, keeping them on a battery tender will keep them going for a long time. Really hope you can make it out Kurt!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
That sucks Andrew! What happened to the ATK? Screw tuning it before hand, do it on the trail! :D

After a long summer of riding everything basically fell apart around the motor... :p I found out the hard way Americans build their dirtbikes like their cars:guilty: :rofl:

I've been scrambling to build a last minute RMX but my desert tank won't be here in time so I'd be limited to 2.3 gallons and no spark arrestor. I'm going to try like mad to get something figured out but don't count on me :(

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
:( Sorry to hear, do you think there was any permanent damage? I actually did something real similar on my first ride out with my DR650. It wasn't as bad as yours, but I put a small hole in the engine case after dropping the bike on the shifter. I patched it up with JB Weld, then put engine case covers over both sides!

Too soon to tell if there was damage. It's likely, however! I broke it without noticing it at the time. I then proceeded to ride the bike about a half hour off road, and then 20+ miles back to the hotel at 60-80MPH down a highway and freeway. I actually noticed it when I stopped in the backed up traffic at my exit ramp. I put my boot down on the asphalt as I came to a stop and it slipped, almost dumping me and the bike on the ramp. I couldn't figure out why the asphalt was so darn slick just under my left foot. Then I realized it wasn't the road, it was my FOOT that was slick! My boot and everything rear of the motor is oily. When I tipped the bike to the left it came pouring out pretty quickly, so I'm sure I lost PLENTY of precious motor oil before shutting it down. I believe it holds 1700cc of oil.

It lost a bunch more oil after I parked it, so I know there was still a good amount in there. I'm hoping it was enough. I'm stuck in a hotel away from home so I have zero tools. So, I went to WalMart and picked up some carb cleaner and JB weld. I scratched up the area around the hole with a rock to promote adhesion, and cleaned it up good with the carb cleaner and paper towels and put a good thick patch of JB weld on it. Tomorrow evening I'll fill it up with oil again and try it out. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed... I only have about 5 hours on this bike since I bought it and needless to say would be quite frustrated if I smoked the motor so soon.

The bike has case covers on both sides, but I foolishly left off the main skidplate (everybody learn from my mistake!). The owner had it off when I bought it, supposedly because they had just changed the oil and had not reinstalled it yet. It broke about 1/4 inch away from the case cover....

Jared

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'll post up some pics this afternoon. What a ride! It was by far the most challenging ride I've done with several places that I simply couldn't ride, particularly tight, tight switchbacks that I had to drag my bike around. :eek:

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
I'll post up some pics this afternoon. What a ride! It was by far the most challenging ride I've done with several places that I simply couldn't ride, particularly tight, tight switchbacks that I had to drag my bike around. :eek:

Jealous!! :( wish I could have made it out for the ride!

which sections did you guys hit?