Air Intakes

diablokicks

I'm looking to get an intake for my jeep (4.0L) What is your opinion on brands (IE K&N, AirRaid Etc) What's the big differences if any? What would be better to get?
Thanks
Patrick

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have an 91 xj with the 4.0 and I got a kit from Rusty's off road house ( www.rustysoffroad.com )... it came with two types of filter... the long one and the shorter one... I got the long one and would just have settled for the shorter one, if done again...
The kit comes with a coupler that hooks into your stock downpipe and the pcv valve and air intake and then the filter mounts on the other end...
You have to take your old filter box out and then this conversion piece mounts to one of the fender bolts....

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Pre 91's had a different T-body and the only thing I cuold find was Rusty's that gets added to the end of the stock intake pipe. It helped alittle on my cherokee but nothing huge.

As for the different brands I had a K&N FIPK on my ZJ and thought it was great. I now have a AEM Brute Force onmy Ram and like it alot. I would go with the AEM version for the 4.0L for 2 reasons. 1. AEM metal pipe vs. K&N's plastic pipe: the metal may conduuct more heat but is much stronger and you will never crush it or have a bolt pull through it like with the K&N. 2. AEM's dry flow filter is reusable and does not need to be oiled after washing.....very nice and is actually more efficient than the K&N oiled filter.

shortstraw8

Really in my opinion they are all the same,(if you want the full kit W/box, or or the cone filter adapter) except the price I would just go with airraid, or k&n and Im sure that one of the vendors could get you a good deal.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I sell by far more K&N's than AEM's, AirRaids, etc. I have a K&N on my personal rig as well.

I think like other say, it's all preference. I think they are all good. Do you want oiless? Steel rather than plastic? Etc.

For a 4.0 TJ, I sell the K&N version for $215 +tax/shipping. They are in stock and ready to ship...

gijohn40

I have a K&N on both my xj and my expedition... on the expedition I have troubles with the mass airflow sensor due to the oil on the filter... if I was to do it again I would get the oil less type...

If your check engine lite comes on after installing oil on your filter just use some denatured alcohol in a spray bottle and spray the sensor and then let it dry...

gijohn40

JP magizine

I just got my Nov issue of jp mag and it has a story on this subject... air filters... which work and which provide some power... Might want to check it out... if you can't find it call me patrick and and I loan you my copy...

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
personally i would just put a K&N factory replacement filter in ur TJ, its protected from mud and water that way. also when i put one in my TJ i got 2MPG better i sell those for $50 if u want the K&N FIPK intake kit i sell it for $240 also with u being a Weber State student u get a 10% discount

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
every thing but oil spark plugs antifreeze and sumthin else i cant remember but i dont get a discount on those either but pretty much everything

cookfire

I have an Airaid kit w/ the throttle body spacer I took off my jeep before I sold it. PM me you guys are interested. It is just sitting in my garage.

leorn

reset
i bought a huge k&n filter from checker for $50 and adapted it with some sprinkler pipe. redneck, but saved about $200 to get the same job done. now that I live in the desert I would like one without oil