All things camp trailer..

ID Bronco

I have not searched this on the web, so maybe I should first.......I want to set up my trailer with some type of solar system. I don't understand anything electrical, but I know the RV places want mint for their set ups. Are there any well laid out, fairly easy DIY options? I don't really mind the generator, but I'd like a little juice during the day.

Thoughts, links, ect?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Are you wanting solar just to keep the batteries topped off or are you wanting to run things off a solar/battery set up? If you want the running things, then you need to evaluate how much battery you need first then what size of inverter. A complete set up with inverter, panel and charge controller can be around $750-1000 if you are running a 1000 watt inverter. A 2000 watt inverter will probably add about $500 to that. The 3000W inverter/charger that I replaced last winter in my motorhome was around $1300. If it is just to keep the batteries topped off, then it is pretty simple with a panel and a charge controller.

I have not searched this on the web, so maybe I should first.......I want to set up my trailer with some type of solar system. I don't understand anything electrical, but I know the RV places want mint for their set ups. Are there any well laid out, fairly easy DIY options? I don't really mind the generator, but I'd like a little juice during the day.

Thoughts, links, ect?
I don't have any experience with off the shelf. I'm building my own system. This is probably not much help, but just from what I have read, there are a bunch of solar systems out there that don't really work well because they don't ever get the batteries to a 100% charged state. This crotchety old guy, Bob, has a series of blog posts explaining why. I like reading his stuff, but understand it may be a bit much for most people.
Handy Bob's Solar Info

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Bob’s stuff is pretty good, but may be dated.

I’ve done a few systems both home and RV. 2 years ago we did my buddy’s 5th wheel using KSL surplus house panels and a Victron MPPT controller/charger sized appropriately.

Victron publishes some very good information and have good easy to read schematics.

When you can find people nearly giving away panels I don’t see much sense in buying the “RV” specific stuff. It’s usually lower quality and always more $$$ in my experience.

ID Bronco

Thanks guys, I just want to top off the batteries during the day so I don't have to run a noisy charger in the evening to run lights while we play cards and such. I'll check out Bobs solar.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Our toy hauler was totaled in the fall of 2019.

I picked this up for $1200 just before Covid hit. Wanted to see how we would like it now that the kids are on their own and we only occasionally have the grandson.

It works. Pros include quick setup and we can get into sites that others cannot. Cons are it’s small and no dry bath. Wife hates it.

View attachment 138555
Hates it ehh? Well I have $1200 burning a hole in my pocket 😂

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I had a panel on my last trailer and it did a great job keeping the battery topped off. It actually only had (1) 12v battery and we ran the range fan at night for white noise. Zero issues. I've thought hard about adding solar to my current trailer but I'm pretty sure I'll be trading it in on a newer model soon enough.

OCNORB

Supporting Member
0AB1E603-C217-483B-A8CE-546ED5B13501.jpeg

This may be my next charge/solar controller.
It takes power from your tow vehicle when the alternator is outputting and “boosts” it to match the correct charge profile. When you shut off the tow rig it will automatically switch over to the solar panels ; so you’re batteries should always be in good condition.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Might have to wait until I find another toy hauler.
I’m predicting a large number of used trailers are going to hit the market in about 9-15 months. Once the “we never use this thing” phase hits for many.

This:

I'm wanting to do the slide-in camper on the gooseneck to complete my redneckedness with the "Jeep" item.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Might have to wait until I find another toy hauler.
I’m predicting a large number of used trailers are going to hit the market in about 9-15 months. Once the “we never use this thing” phase hits for many.
Like everything else, the RV/trailer market is stupid right now. I expect you will see this same thing happen with boats and even side by sides.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
We are in the market to upgrade from our 5th wheel to a diesel pusher sometime. Like many others, we are watching and waiting for things to settle down.
I don’t think it will be this year unless it is at the end. I have had a few people contact me through some Super C and Toterhome Facebook groups asking me to sell my rig. They have offered me enough to consider it but the fact is there is nothing to replace it with at a reasonable price.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
This is my set up. It's long but we love the space. 2 awnings, on board generator and solar with a dry bath. Get crowded with every body in but that is usually only when sleeping or eating. Does have long extension but I bought the heavy duty hitch and extension and it works great. Towed to Texas and back with no problems.

IMG_76041.jpg

Bart

Over the weekend I had my batteries drop to 11.5 volts while using the ARB fridge, ceiling fan, lights etc.. When plugged into the house (or generator) my 12v voltage jumps around from 12.2 volts to 13.2.. I’m thinking this isn’t going to recharge my batteries. Is my inverter suspect or is this normal?

Should I look into a battery charger instead of trying to rely on my inverter to charge? If so will a 12v battery charger work with my 6v batteries wired in series? Thanks for any help!

Andrew
I know this is rare but one possible culprit is the CO/Low Battery detector. I hear they're only good for 6 years or so, and mine went bad and drained my system.
Thanks! We got lucky on that camper. We had been keeping an eye out for that model for a couple of years. About 2 years ago it popped up on KSL for probably $5000-$6000 less than it should have so we jumped on it. We love it. Dry bath, plenty of room but short enough to tow without crazy extensions.
Is your truck a long bed or short bed? I started looking a while ago, but like all things RV, the prices are crazy right now.

Bart

BTW, I have a 110 volt, 3 battery boat/RV charger that I took out of my boat and replaced with a 4 battery charger, that I would let go for fairly cheap.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
After some digging I found a inverter retrofit kit online that will work on mine. Mine is all one unit with the fuse panel, breaker panel, inverter etc.. This kit will replace my big transformer type that is known to overheat and even catch fire—yikes! Hope it solves my issue.

RockChucker

I don’t think it will be this year unless it is at the end. I have had a few people contact me through some Super C and Toterhome Facebook groups asking me to sell my rig. They have offered me enough to consider it but the fact is there is nothing to replace it with at a reasonable price.
I've thought about selling my pickup right now for the same reason...I think prices are going to come down. But I don't want to live without a truck for the next year or 2 waiting for prices to drop and also....if inflation runs away...then they won't ever drop.

haulinshine

2008 gold buckle classic, so a 4 horse trailer with a camper in the front. I pull it with my 08 f350 does well, actually just got back from a trip to bridger lake in the Wasatch mountains. I did find out on that trip that the previous owner of the truck had no idea how the front shocks go on and ended up pulling them through the mounting plate because both metal washers were on the very bottom with the bushings on top. It pulls well but the wife has decided we are selling it and getting something that does not weigh 11k empty, or is 36ft long.20200710_144923.jpg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've thought about selling my pickup right now for the same reason...I think prices are going to come down. But I don't want to live without a truck for the next year or 2 waiting for prices to drop and also....if inflation runs away...then they won't ever drop.
I sold mine and just ordered a new 2022 F-350 with the 7.3 Godzilla. It might ght not be here until 2022, but I think I can wait that long and I ordered a pretty specific truck.