Aloha!!

Nellie

Aloha - new to Forum, and new to Jeep. Just recently (3 weeks?) bought a 98 TJ - Yellow w/HT painted to match. I've always wanted a Jeep but never seemed to be practical with 6 kids. Kids all grown up and out of the house now so..... Currently sitting on 18" XD Rockstar rims w/Kelly Safari ATR (275/70/18 - so basically, 33's) tires. Jeep is 4.0 5spd w/D35 and 3.07 gears. Also has 2" BL. Frame has surface rust which I will be addressing right away...and it is surface rust. Already banged away on the frame and is still very solid. The 2" BL will be going away as will the 18" rims and tires. Will be dropping to 15" rims and for now, 31" tires (both rims and tires I already bought used for $100 total and will easily get me through the Summer/Fall). Will be buying new rims and tires come Fall...or latest, Spring 2016. Since the 33's are giving me a performance hit, I'd like to see how she does with 31's and will either stay there or move to 32's.

This will be my DD and off-road fun, but probably not any 'serious' rock crawling. That doesn't mean I won't be adventurous, I just don't want to have to do a ton of modifications with having to move to a 4" SL or anything. I will be doing, most likely, a 2" BDS SL (coils/shocks) as my current coils/shocks are probably original and are way tired.

Anyway, I look forward to conversing and meeting up with y'all. Oh, and I love having my Jeep!!!

Pic1.JPG
Pic2.JPG

Pile of parts

This will be my DD and off-road fun, but probably not any 'serious' rock crawling. That doesn't mean I won't be adventurous, I just don't want to have to do a ton of modifications
Famous last words. Welcome!

Last edited:

rholbrook

Careful with your suggestions--he's only got a Dana35 out back.

Glad you found us here on RME, Nellie.
I get what you are saying but to that I polished the turd on one of my old TJ with stronger axle shafts and a locker with 33's and ran a D35 all over Moab. I broke a stock axle but once I put the stonger axles in, no problem. If he isnt going to wheel it hard, he should be fine.

Nellie

Glad you found us here on RME, Nellie.
Thanks for pointing the way for me.

Welcome. Keep and the 33s and regear and while at it, put in a locker and really enjoy it.
33's would be nice, but not in my immediate future. Regearing is outside of my cost structure for now. Most of my driving will be street and then when I go off road, the majority of that will be, for the most part, a walk in the park. I do want to be somewhat adventurous, but I'm not willing to break the bank...or my ride to do so. I appreciate the thought though.

Famous last words. Welcome!
Thanks...and to tell the truth, who know what I will do (who knows what any of us will do in the future). I will say that I am a bit conservative...adventurous but conservative.

Anyway, I still have lots to learn so it's nice to have the combined experience of all of you!!

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Welcome. I wheeled a 4cyl 5 speed TJ for years on 31's. It was my first Jeep and it was amazingly capable. At the time it was capable of more than I was...at least for a while. You've got a very capable mild wheeler, learn it and have some fun.