Alpine Fire

GAR

We just got done evacuating. Everything was very orderly. The fire marshalls called us and left a message, and then they knocked on our door and told us we have 15 min to evacuate. We were ready, but the fire was still so far away. I highly doubt any of the homes in my mom's neighborhood are in danger of fire. Hopefully the winds don't shift.

Yeah, hopefully. We've found out it's common for the winds to come out of the canyon at night when the valley cools. Lets hope that doesn't happen tonight. Let me know if you need any help, since you're evacuated probably not much can be done.

It's pretty amazing watching the planes circle and drop down the side of the mountain and dump their red water/suppression stuff.

Oh btw, SR-92 is closed at the mouth of the canyon.

Here's a few shots coming home from work and in my back yard.

IMG_0777.jpgIMG_0778.jpgIMG_0780.jpg

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I know its a little far but I have a finished basement with a bed and couches in clearfield if anyone needs a place away from the evacuation centers.

I am in Cheyenne untill tomorrow but my house can be available tonight if needed.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
Looks like there's someone standing just to the right of it. As he looked up and saw the fire spreading, he had to be freaking out.

sixstringsteve

just my parents' house. My parents are away on vacation, but my two younger brothers were home alone. So I headed over to help them. They didn't need it, but it made my parents feel better that I was there. Lehi is just fine. In fact, 99% of alpine is fine.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I figured, with the way the winds are and the way canyon fires work I doubt it will make its way back to town.

I used to work for a wildfire fighter contractor company and it kills me that there's nothing I can do to help.

KWight

My family and I watched it start from the highland splash pad. We knew it was best to get out of AF canyon so went back and got our trailer. We are now in a run down rv park off 120 south and I-15 for the next 2 or 3 days. We felt bad for the resident evacuees we passed on our way out.

Update now that I have more time:

When we decided to go back up the canyon to get our stuff I decided to stop at Timpanogas Caves to check on the status of the fire. The ranger told us we were in no immediate danger, that they had a good eye on things and would let us know if we needed to evacuate. In the time my wife was talking to her the size of the fire seemed to triple in size from our vantage point. We decided to go ahead and get out anyways. On the way to our campsite we puled off to let a Search and Rescue truck by with two ATVs. I suspect they were on their way to evacaute campers from higher in the backcountry areas. We broke down our campsite quickly and saw the plume of smoke quadruple in size as we were doing so. We stopped to let the campground host and some other campers know about the fire and the campground host was nowhere to be found. On the way out of the canyon we were passed by several law enforcement vehicles who had their lights and sirens on. When we got to the mouth of the canyon we saw they had closed off the entrance of the canyon. I thinik if we had waited another 20 minutes we would not have been able to get up there and get our stuff. We took a few pictures but were mostly trying to get out of there as fast as we could.

Thursday we will head towards Salina for a Family Reunion and I hope that this experience will not repeat itself there.

Kevin

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I figured, with the way the winds are and the way canyon fires work I doubt it will make its way back to town.

I used to work for a wildfire fighter contractor company and it kills me that there's nothing I can do to help.

Me too. Every time I look at my pulaski I get a hankering to go dig some line or hump some hose.

I'm glad everybody is ok.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
The news is still saying evacuations are in place, and that the fire is out of control.. But I was just up there, and it seemed pretty contained to me. There was a ton of smoke up one slot of the canyon, and 2 heli's that were flying super slow between the fire and water hole. Does any body have more info??