Am I crazy?

Caleb

I'm considering selling my bike. I'm just not excited about getting out this year like I generally am around this time. I just dumped a ton of money in to it (probably $1500-$2000) hoping that would spark my excitement and it really hasn't. Talk me out of it (or maybe not)...

sixstringsteve

nah, you're not crazy. If you're not feeling it, you're not feeling it. The good news is, you can always get another one when the passion arises.

Caleb

That's the same thing I keep telling myself. I can buy a new bike when I have the desire again. My only real dilemma is I'd buy the exact bike I have right now. For me, it's the perfect bike. So sell (I'm sure at a loss) and buy the same thing again in the future, or just put it in the shed and sit on it...I guess I could get the current model when I decide to buy again, but mine's only two years old so it's not like it's outdated by any means.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Before selling, we should organize another RME ride. One of the best trips I've been on in the past couple years was with about 7 or 8 other RME guys last year in Moab. I think you'd be able to make a better decision after a good trip out riding.

Cascadia

Undecided
Although I would sell it if I was in you position, I wouldn't sell it. :D You'll have the perfect bike for you when you're ready to ride with all the mods that you want. It'll be hard to find the same bike again. And if you buy new like I assume you would then you still have to put all that money into it to get it where you want it to be. Even if you're not in the mood to ride this year, I guarantee you will still get out once or twice and if you don't have it you'll miss it. Just let it sit there and when you're ready to get out again it'll be sitting there waiting for you. You're not hurting for money so why get rid of it unless you don't plan on riding again for years.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Yes you are crazy. But to help in your dilemma, I will allow you to store your bike at my house until you decide you are ready to ride again. I will be sure to keep the fluids clean for you. That way you can have it back, at it won't get all old and dusty when neglected in your shed.

This is a great solution to your problem.

Cascadia

Undecided
Before selling, we should organize another RME ride. One of the best trips I've been on in the past couple years was with about 7 or 8 other RME guys last year in Moab. I think you'd be able to make a better decision after a good trip out riding.
I'd be down. Better make it sooner than later before it gets too hot down there. A few of us RME'ers are heading down there to ride this weekend also.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I sold my WR this year... I know the feeling. I was not crazy about riding at all last year. My back was killing me which is mostly the reason but even now that I'm mostly better I haven't quite been bitten by the bug.

I've always kept at least one bike. It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I learned that from my old man which fwiw he has a 99 KX500 that has sat for over a decade collecting dust lol :rolleyes:

Caleb

All good points (well, except for yours jeeper...that's a terrible idea :p). Von, I think an RME ride would be a great idea. I think the funnest ride I've been on was the end of season night ride up AFC canyon we did season before last...another great ride was Greg and I's Moab-Fruita-Maob ride. If I did sell, I'm definitely not desperate so I wouldn't give it away and if it sat for a while it wouldn't bother me too much. Another reason is because of a nagging injury that just won't heal and riding definitely makes it worse. I think a good ride is in order before making any rash decisions. :D

The rides that do get me a little excited are another long Moab-Fruita-Moab type ride and HITR (it is my nemesis :)).

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'd at least wait until the snow is melted before you try and predict how you will feel in 2 months?

If it isn't taking up precious space and isn't costing you monthly interest... why bail before riding season even really starts. My 2 cents. Then again... I'm not a good seller of toys until after I have the replacement in hand.

Last edited:

193kyle

Yes, you're crazy...I say keep it. I'm sure you'll miss it if you sell it. Plus I just bought a new bike yesterday, so the more people I have to ride with the better.:D

Moabxjeeper

I went through this same predicament a few weeks ago. I bought a trailer to haul my Jeep around on last year and think I used it maybe a time or two. Problem is I bought it about a month before I got my dirt bike and going out wheeling just isn't nearly as fun as riding.

My conclusion was that, unless I needed the money, I would hold onto it for the occasional use. As someone else said, better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

D

Deleted member 12904

I had this same talk with a friend last week. After prying it turns out he is worried about getting hurt. I told him I think it's that's a valid reason to not want to ride anymore.

I say hold onto it until you at least figure out why your not feeling it anymore. And if you decide it's a good reason sell it. If it's just the winter blues haven't gone away yet hold on because they will.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
The last couple years has been a turning point for me. I have moved away from track riding an into off-road/ trail riding. I have loved motorcycles since I was 5 but got the blues a couple years ago due to tracks closing and options for that type of riding going away. Then I realized it's just fun to be out with friends in the outdoors. There are so many ways to ride and enjoy motorcycling that I hope to keep doing it in one form or another until I'm in my 60's. Riding with my dad and Russ's group last year just cemented that desire even more. So I guess I'm saying don't sell but maybe try some other types of rides/terrain that will change things up a bit. Change is good unless it's changing to no motorcycles:)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk