Am I nuts?

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
So I just spent some time tallying up how much my planned rebuild will cost: Approximately $5500.
Keep in mind, this is pretty much a frame up rebuild of a Samurai with all heavy duty parts and no expense spared. Yes, I've thought, "Why not just buy a Toyota/Jeep/ect and build it?" But I have a sentimental attachment to my Zuk, and seeing as I've beat the crap out of it for 10 years, I feel it deserves a new lease on life. But I'd like some opinions (not asinine ones, please), am I off my rocker? Should I be doing this? Should I just buy something new?

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Yes you're nuts but this is a question about a samurai. :hickey::rofl:

I guess the question is what do you want out of the samurai? Are you going to spend $5500 get the project completed, take it for one ride and then try and sell it? (seen way too many projects where this has happened). Are you going to get $5500 of enjoyment out of the Samurai before you move on? (or are you going to move on?)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
IMO, dumping that much money into a Samurai is a bit much. But I understand having a emotional tie to a vehicle and spending more money than would be sane for most other people.

What are you going to get out of dumping $5500 into the Samurai? You're still going to have a Samurai and a big hole in your pocket.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
You'd better detail what $5500 is buying you. That'll buy you 10 parts Samurais.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Depends on what you want your Samurai to be. Putting $5500 into a Samurai might make a nice daily driver / moderate trail rig, but to build one that is truly capable is going cost a lot more than that. But then the same thing could be said about any rig. If $5500 builds you a rig that really makes you happy, then that's a bargain!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Depends on what you want your Samurai to be. Putting $5500 into a Samurai might make a nice daily driver / moderate trail rig, but to build one that is truly capable is going cost a lot more than that. But then the same thing could be said about any rig. If $5500 builds you a rig that really makes you happy, then that's a bargain!

I think his current tin-top is getting pretty rusty, so it might not be the best place to dump the $5500, either....

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Well, $5500 from soup to nuts isn't THAT bad..... but I wouldn't spend it on a Samurai. Seems like he'd have a BADASS Samurai if he threw that much money at it....

$2k on tires/rims? $1k for motor/drivetrain??? $2k for interior, winch, tubework???

Not an insane total I suppose. But again, for a Sami????? :rofl:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
This is what happens when most people spend that kind of money on a Samurai: They usually widen them with Toyota axles, then stretch them to a Toyota wheel base, suspend them with Toyota springs, then they power them with a 22re and double up some Toyota cases... Moral of the story? If you go that route just buy a Toyota to begin with :D

I understand the sentimental thing trust me. For me I'd try and not turn it into something it's not. If it was my $5K+ going into a Sami though i'd make sure it ended up being diesel powered :greg:

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I had more then that in my samurai. Then again I did get 4 hardcore out of if it and it was still going strong whenI sold it for a fraction of what I had into it. If you plan to keep it, then do it the way you want. I planned to wheel the samurai forever, but in the end a samurai is just that a samurai. I wanted bigger tires, bigger motor, well bigger everything. So I went that route and have more into it then I ever did my samurai and it doesn't even move yet. I liked my samurai, lots of people did, but some people hated what it was, but loved what it did.

Paul R

I think if you are totally happy with the Sami and are happy with where it takes you, and you have the money to spend and you know exactly what you will end up with and will be happy with it then do it :D

FWIW I would have a hard time spending that on a Sami

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I guess you need to tell us what you have in mind... because if it gets your rig built the way you want it, its sounds reasonable to me. Things add up.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
What I'm hoping to end up with is a rock solid vehicle that will last me for another 10+ years. It needs to be a reliable DD and a reasonably capable trail rig. After owning it for ten years it has seen lots of little patch job fixes and sporadic upgrades. I'd like to gut all that stuff out and build it solidly and completely in one swoop.
For your consideration, I've attached my parts list. Feel free to critique and offer suggestions (or discounts ;)). Obviously its all preliminary numbers, but its a rough idea.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
And that my friend is the answer.

IMO
split the money. spend Half makeing a good trail/camping rig then buy a DD
Or just buy a FZJ80 because that would be cool and i know you want one

We already have a DD. Plus, have to hold on to that until my Grandma decides to sell the 320i:D. Then you'll be jealous.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Looks pretty reasonable to me.

Trans rebuild is likely going to set you back more than $200 though? Did you account for a clutch?

Rockers/bodywork are likely going to double, but they won't hinder the rig from actually being usable?

I do have an FJ80 thats got all the potential in the world that you could have built for the same amount ;)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
When I had mine I thought the one thing that would make it better was power steering--do you already have that? Also is yours still a 1.3L? Perhaps you could save money by finding an EFI 16V 1.6 with low miles instead of a rebuild on your current engine...

I hope it works out for you. I wish I could do the same thing with my pickup the neglect it's faced lately is embarrasing.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Looks pretty reasonable to me.

Trans rebuild is likely going to set you back more than $200 though? Did you account for a clutch?

Rockers/bodywork are likely going to double, but they won't hinder the rig from actually being usable?

I do have an FJ80 thats got all the potential in the world that you could have built for the same amount ;)
I'm not sure on the tranny rebuild, thats something I need to call about tomorrow. Any suggestions as to where? I already have a clutch (knew a guy who knew a guy who was getting rid of a new one for free. People at Six States are good to know.:D)
As for the rocker/body work, thats all rough estimates. I figured those would run over, but thats why they are at the bottom of the list.

When I had mine I thought the one thing that would make it better was power steering--do you already have that? Also is yours still a 1.3L? Perhaps you could save money by finding an EFI 16V 1.6 with low miles instead of a rebuild on your current engine...

I hope it works out for you. I wish I could do the same thing with my pickup the neglect it's faced lately is embarrasing.
Honestly, I don't want power steering. I know, I'm strange. But its just one more thing to go wrong. And since I'm just running 235/75's, it's not really needed. I'm still running the 1.3L and I have another hacked up Sami (thanks Greg!) with an EFI engine in it. So I plan to just rebuild that and swap it in. If I didn't already have a donor I'd go with a 1.6L.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm not sure on the tranny rebuild, thats something I need to call about tomorrow. Any suggestions as to where?

Call Kent at Six States in Orem, he is a stand up dude with tranny skills!

Honestly, I don't want power steering. I know, I'm strange...

You will, I really think this is something you should incorporate into the build if possible, at least get a motor thats setup to add it later.