American Fork Canyon official news

Manlaan

Utah 4x4 Club was up there on Saturday evening installing some more friendly reminders to please not drive through the lake, whether it's full or not.

...As to the mud pit issue brought up by Manlaan, it was actually completely dry on Saturday (I haven't ever seen it dry this early in the year). We didn't see anything about it that section of the trail that made it "dangerous." Of course, if someone is uncomfortable with the obstacles on any trail, they should use their own best judgement to not drive the trail. There are plenty of easier trails nearby. Utah 4x4 Club is not in the business of making obstacles more "passable" to stock vehicles.

...And please... DON'T drive in the lake, pass it on! ;)

Its all good. As long as the general consensus is that its fine, thats good enough with me. One of my favorite trails to take newer people on and would hate to see something I/we were doing caused it to close down.

Just one of those odd things that everyone is so careful about not ruining trails that are still wet (specially in AF), yet this one location seems to be ok. Granted that it seems to be dry now, we all know thats really not the norm for this location.

When I take first timers up, I always make it a point to show them the signs and make it a big deal not to go beyond. Being brown, they do make it easy to miss, but that little extra pointing out they should read all the signs is usually enough.

Last edited:

RogueJeepr

Here!
Traffic

Last year while wheeling on a trail above silver lake I had an ATV come arond the corner and run into me . Didnt hurt my rig or him but shook him up pretty good then his dad showed up and told him he was going too fast down the trail. I herd him coming came to a complete stop and had my lights on so he would see me but to no avail.
Then last weekend just passing tibble fork barley into the dirtroad a big landcruiser did the same around a corner. He locked up his brakes then started sliding as Im swerving right then he swereved right also to miss eachother.
Both of us wernt going that fast 10 or so mph so Im not getting on anybodys case but the traffic is an issue.
I like all the trails up there and some of the improvements they have done to the area but I think im gonna do my part in thinning the traffic and not return . :-\

zukijames

i dont think there is anything they can do about the traffic.. and anything i could see would end it with too many regulations and just make everything worse

Caleb

i dont think there is anything they can do about the traffic.. and anything i could see would end it with too many regulations and just make everything worse

The biggest glaring issue they could do...STOP CLOSING TRAILS AND OTHER REC AREAS!!!

The traffic is also why I prefer to recreate up AFC on two wheels. While it's still worse than most areas, it's not nearly as bad on the single tracks as it is on the roads.

scrogg

Enjoying the Drive
We went up to Forest Lake earlier today. The new signs and the way the logs were set up around the area where people go mud bogging looks great. Very easily to understand that it's an off limits area. Looks great, good job to who ever went up and did that. Utah 4x4 club members I am guessing as mentioned previously.

gertsch

A group of us went up Saturday it was a great day of wheeling! Was there still the ford broken down on the trail when u went up yesterday?

scrogg

Enjoying the Drive
The yellow Bronco? If that was it then yeah. We assumed they were off hiking or something. Anybody know who's it is? Or if they need help getting it out of there?