American fork canyon (Silver Lake)

J-mobzz

I haven’t been up American Fork Canyon in years and I haven’t been up to Silver Lake in a really long time. I kind of just have felt like it’s turned into a zoo up there on the weekends. Someone recommended Silverlake as a place to go paddle boarding.

So couple questions, will my van be able to make it it? It does not have a low range. It’s just all wheel drive on 285’s. And is there even any water in that lake this time of year?

IMG_2286.jpeg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I haven’t been up American Fork Canyon in years and I haven’t been up to Silver Lake in a really long time. I kind of just have felt like it’s turned into a zoo up there on the weekends. Someone recommended Silverlake as a place to go paddle boarding.

So couple questions, will my van be able to make it it? It does not have a low range. It’s just all wheel drive on 285’s. And is there even any water in that lake this time of year?

View attachment 163265
I haven’t been up there in several years, but I would think you’d have no problem. I’ve taken anything from a 92 F-150 2WD to a 1984 VW Rabbit up there. It’s Subaru rated.

STAG

On my grind
I heard there was a road that majorly washed out due to this winter’s snowpack and is now inaccessible. I figured it was the road that leads to Silver Lake Flat Reservoir as that road is built on steep terrain.

I have no confirmation though.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I heard there was a road that majorly washed out due to this winter’s snowpack and is now inaccessible. I figured it was the road that leads to Silver Lake Flat Reservoir as that road is built on steep terrain.

I have no confirmation though.
The 085 washed out in the narrows. I believe Silver Lake road is still open. It'd be best to call the forest service for a definitive answer.

The_Lobbster

As long as the road isn’t washed out, you’ll be fine, I drove my jetta wagon up there last summer, been up in my parents Toyota Highlander, and FIL’s 2wd stock Tacoma before as well.

There will still be water, but the level will be significantly lower than earlier in the year. I’ll see if I have pix from July of last year when I was there last.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
The section between the switchbacks and the turn for graveyard flat (circled in red). It's the section where you can't pass because it gets too narrow through there.

IMG_5843.jpeg

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
You'll make Silver Lake Reservoir for sure, that's a basic gravel road. The road goes past the reservoir, up to Major Evan's Gulch - not sure how far up that you can get, it does get a little rockier and you hit gated private property at some point. That road does not get you to Silver Lake itself, which is in Wilderness and inaccessible by vehicle.

The reservoir will likely be crowded. Silver Lake is a nice hike and will be less crowded - it's a little steep in spots but if your boards are inflatable you could totally schlep them up the trail, and paddleboarding Silver Lake would be nice. It's gorgeous up there.

iceaxe

Backroad Adventurer
If a Volvo C30 R design can do it...(couple years ago)
Passing the crowds coming and going was the main challenge for a passenger car, it was a holiday weekend.
Nice hike up to the lake.

I was up there last week, didn’t know the gate was closed due to the aforementioned wash out shortly past Tibble (spoke with a ranger who said it’s closed indefinitely—bummer). With that closed we ran up to Silver Lake. I felt pretty silly in a Jeep on 40’s driving up the same dirt road as multiple Tesla’s, EV6’s and other cars and mini vans… you’ll be good 👍🏼😊

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Exactly. That area is reffered to as the narrows in many circles.

I don't know the exact location of the wash out, but that's where I've heard the damage is.
That damage is a small washout about 100 yards west of the big rock. You can easily drive a SxS past it. FR85 is actually not closed from the Snake Creek or Cascade springs side but the DNR and Forest Service has been writing tickets at Tibble and stating it is closed. The signs on the roads coming from the east say "FR85 closed ahead" Then there is never a closed sign. I have about had my fill of the forest service in AF canyon this summer. They have several routes closed. The reasons they have posted are not legitimate and I get the feeling they are just lying and don't want to open it. If it was a resource issue, that would be a simple honest answer. Several FS and DNR have told people I talked to that there is equipment up there working on the road when there is no equipment up there.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
They very recently opened the Snake Creek side to travel without a permit. I haven't followed close enough to form an opinion on management this year.

McFate

I volunteer with the Wasatch 100 race, helping run one of the aid stations along the route, Pole Line Pass. I've already gone up to visit Pole Line, but got there by coming from the east about two weeks ago. The race organizers have since told me that the route from Tibble is now open, but it's sounding like maybe… not?

I'm thinking I'll have to take a trip up there this week to check things out, but is it open enough to allow something bigger than a SxS? I'd rather not have to drive up Provo Canyon to get there again.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I volunteer with the Wasatch 100 race, helping run one of the aid stations along the route, Pole Line Pass. I've already gone up to visit Pole Line, but got there by coming from the east about two weeks ago. The race organizers have since told me that the route from Tibble is now open, but it's sounding like maybe… not?

I'm thinking I'll have to take a trip up there this week to check things out, but is it open enough to allow something bigger than a SxS? I'd rather not have to drive up Provo Canyon to get there again.

Nope not open, learned the hard way this morning. Also a lowered Subaru with canted wheels could make it to silver lake right now.

First time I’ve ventured to AF in over 10 years. Was super disappointed, last minute impromptu trip with a friend that was also off. But had a good ride up the silver lake side. Still a stupid amount of people up there even on a weekday.

Last edited: