Another Benchrace: family rig, reliable, cheap

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Oh sorry, I didn't even think about that rig when it was posted today. Doh. Thanks Chance for posting links to my site lol.

I also expect that the 8 cylinder thing was just a screw up on the drop-down menu

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Seriously - Where are all of the cheap Cherokees? Looking for a clean 98-01.

As of today, this is the direction I'd like to go. A simple rig just to get us back out wheeling. I've been watching copart for a salvaged JK, and have found a few that look perfect. Between having to hire a broker and fear of the unknown, I just don't think I could commit to a wrecked JK.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member

As of today, this is the direction I'd like to go. A simple rig just to get us back out wheeling. I've been watching copart for a salvaged JK, and have found a few that look perfect. Between having to hire a broker and fear of the unknown, I just don't think I could commit to a wrecked JK.

I assume you've gotten with Jon at Impulse? He's usually got a line on things

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
They're harder to find, that's for sure. I'd suggest a '97-99 as the '00-01 had the head crack issues and the stupid pre-cats. JMO.

Last time I was looking (for fun) I noticed that ZJ's and even WJ's were more plentiful and often cheaper than XJ's. Something to consider I suppose.

joez

Have an 80 series LC and a first, third, and fifth gen4Runner in the garage right now. I really don't get the underpowered 80 series thing, it's by no means fast, but I drove it from Chicago to Black Hills SD on 40's fully loaded for 10 days of wheeling with the cruise set at 80 and AC on. This summer I'm driving it to Moab from Chicago as well. It's a great family rig, and if you pick up a factory locked one you don't have to do a whole lot to have it more capable than the sheet metal will allow.

3rd gen 4runners are a dime a dozen as well, and very often come with factory rear elocker. The double cab taco's are nice, but cost significantly more than a same year 4Runner. If you don't need a bed, look at the 96-02 4Runner, especially if you are also looking at a 98-01 Cherokee.

Toad

There is a Land Cruiser rolling around Logan with a 4.8 gm 4l60 swapped into in. Mid 90s. Sorry I am not a LC geek. :) It sits on 35" KM2. I know he was looking for a set of the oem locking diff axles. Don't know for sure if he ever located them. Only reason I bring it up is he has tried to sell it in the past. Might be just what your looking for. If your interested or want more info I could find out for you.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I love my XJ but sometimes fell its under powered. Id consider the 99-04 wj with the V8. Power and room and easily modified. Almost wish I could start over and go that route. Range from 2500-6000$$

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
There is a Land Cruiser rolling around Logan with a 4.8 gm 4l60 swapped into in. Mid 90s. Sorry I am not a LC geek. :) It sits on 35" KM2. I know he was looking for a set of the oem locking diff axles. Don't know for sure if he ever located them. Only reason I bring it up is he has tried to sell it in the past. Might be just what your looking for. If your interested or want more info I could find out for you.

I would be mildly interested in knowing more about this one.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member

Thanks, tried selling the wife on just test driving a LC, and she passed :rofl: brand loyalty something something...

I love my XJ but sometimes fell its under powered. Id consider the 99-04 wj with the V8. Power and room and easily modified. Almost wish I could start over and go that route. Range from 2500-6000$$

I've done the rounds on a WJ, seem to be a great value. I just don't see being happy with it long term.

A couple good deals have come and gone on XJs in the last few days. I think I've realized the only rig I'd be happy with long term would be a JK. Right now I'm thinking we're just going to travel a bit this summer, then get into a JK this fall. Maybe see what the JL turns out like (I guess the cheap part is out the window if we go that route).

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I was thinking about this thread the other day, have you guys made any progress on the idea Ben?

Returned from our RV trip around the country 2 days ago, unfortunately we left as a dual income household, returned as a single. Once I get the money in order I'll be on the lookout for an XJ, but it will take some time.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Returned from our RV trip around the country 2 days ago, unfortunately we left as a dual income household, returned as a single. Once I get the money in order I'll be on the lookout for an XJ, but it will take some time.

Gotcha.... I'm looking forward to seeing how it all works out for you.