Another Benchrace: family rig, reliable, cheap

Coco

I would do a 3rd gen 4runner over an Xterra personally. I miss my SAS'd 3rd gen like crazy. They are bigger inside as well.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
You're probably right.

I've also considered some alternate ways to get the initial purchase price down... Salvage/wrecked, super high mileage, use a buddy to check the auctions?

Salvage JKU would be where I would go if I were to buy one again. Get a 2012+ and disable the stupid traction control crap. Beefy axles and 37-38" tires. You'd push it pretty hard on Pritchett and Coyote Canyon but my 35" tires on the JKU pushed it pretty good on Cliffhanger (some beef skids would be good).

Didn't Chevy put a 5.3 in a Colorado? Do a SAS on 37s and call it good? Maybe a bob and dovetail for departure angle?

They did. I've looked HARD at those a few times.

My FIL thinks we should do an Xterra, says older ones have gotten cheap? That's definitely uncharted territory for me

My wife just bought a 2010 for $15k from a dealership. Private party should be $10-12k? She traded in her GX470 for it (which was a good rig but probably not quite what you are looking for).

Along those lines, how about a 90's bronco or a Blazer?

Those are sweet and simple (and large) rigs. I used to wheel a lot with a built Ramcharger (front 60, semi-float 14 bolt(?)). Pretty capable, not exactly small and light. Easier than a TJ to get kids in/out of but not a lot.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Older xterra s are cheap. But we were dumping 1500 to 2k to get them reliable again. Get a 100 series. I love ours

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I think JKU is really the best option for you. Buy a wrecked one at auction and put axles under it.

If you were an XJ guy I'd say to go that route but space would be a concern. That being said, Kevin (kmboren) put a third row in his and packs all 12 of his kids in there. I'd still go that route over Toyota or XTerra's based on the purchase price and ease of customization.
My dos pesos

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I think JKU is really the best option for you. Buy a wrecked one at auction and put axles under it.

That's what my head (and wife) keep telling me too. Best place to shop for such vehicles? I've been perusing Copart, anyone know of other avenues available to the public?

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
If you were an XJ guy I'd say to go that route but space would be a concern. That being said, Kevin (kmboren) put a third row in his and packs all 12 of his kids in there. I'd still go that route over Toyota or XTerra's based on the purchase price and ease of customization.
My dos pesos

I've thought hard about an XJ... I've been watching KSL as much for XJs as I have for JKs. Seems like decent ones are asking 4500+, which seems a bit steep for what it is. I probably would go that route if I could find a good deal.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Not too much to add to what's been already said, but I can tell you we really REALLY love our FZJ80. Yes, it is underpowered. I should have put a V8 in it instead of fixing the head gasket when I first got it. That will happen one day, but for now we'll deal with it. We have the 3rd row seats, but they are not installed most of the time. It is a daily driver, and it provides quite a bit more room for growing kids compared to my previous 2nd gen 4runner.

Edit: You can pick up a reasonably nice one for around $5k. Many are lifted a bit already, or maybe have a front bumper/winch, or whatnot...

Bart

Just my humble opinion, but there's no way I would take a JKU on Coyote, even with 40s. Upper Helldo, sure.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I think you guys are going a little overboard. He said that 90% of the wheeling can be done in a street legal rig. So a SUV or truck moderate lift etc.

Ever thought about a commander? Yea they are kinda ugly but with a few mods they make a decent family exploitation rig.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I've thought hard about an XJ... I've been watching KSL as much for XJs as I have for JKs. Seems like decent ones are asking 4500+, which seems a bit steep for what it is. I probably would go that route if I could find a good deal.

Yeah that's spendy for an XJ for sure. They're fun rigs if you know what mods to make