Another KX250 Project...

Tonkaman

Well I broke down and paid to have the forks rebuild, they needed a little more than just seals and fluids...

What else did it need that you couldn't do?

So when I ordered the front sprocket I was confused about what tooth count I should order to get the same as stock...?

I'll bet it would be hard to find a replacement with a tooth pattern like the one in the photo. Id get one with one more tooth, you won't regret it [emoji12]

I'm going to bring it down to St. George with me and maybe I'll get to rip it a bit in Santa Clara or something after Rhino Rally

Only a psychopath goes riding just for fun after a race!!

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Shiny

and expensive

Also I got a chance to do 42 miles on this ripping around some gnarly offroad and WORCS race course stuff in Cedar the other day and it rips, makes great power on the bottom end, low enough gear to rock crawl, the suspension is excellent (albeit a little stiff for a light weight guy like me on hard enduro with stock clicker settings), turns well, and the power is VERY smooth with the Gnarly pipe it gets on the pipe very smoothly.
I really really like it. It starts REALLY easy too.

The only downside is it doesn't have wide enough gearing to go 80 but... that's not really a downside (unless your trying to chase Ronnie and Luke).

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Ever wonder how a two stroke works?

Spec is 90-150psi Hot
I got 132PSI (then 135 psi) cold. This number should bump about 10 PSI hot, so the compression is basically as if it has a brand new piston.

I actually pulled the pipe and spark plug and physically looked at the piston and cylinder. It has no scoring and no blow by. The skirt and rings look great and there's still some cross-hatching on the cylinder. Not much if any carbon on top of the piston so it's probably jetted pretty well too.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Silencer. Eeeesh. Lots of work into this.

First I cleaned it, then buffed with steel wool and WD40, then full tear down, cleaned the turbine core and perforated core, then reassembly with high temp RTV and new packing.

And new stickerzzz, rivets and hardware.

And it's as good as new!

Turbine Core Q is kinda cool: I learned it's basically a Turbine Core II with more length and and extra perf core (just on the turbine) to make it quieter, but still the same boost is HP over stock.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Plastics: Usually I'd replace these, but they are salvagable.

Before:

After degreaser and 500 grit on the big scratches, working my way to 1000 grit wet, then 1500 grit wet and plastic restore.

I did this on the tank too; it was a little oxidized.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
The forks leaked, the seals and dust boots where junk.
And these studs are broken.
The P.O. gave me fork seals so here I go.

The fluid was basically mud.

So full rebuild: with all new wear parts, oil and dust seals.

and instead of 5w fork oil I bumped it to 7w to get the forks a bit more damping (they're pretty soft for spirited riding). (530cc in case anyone cares).

and bonus, it's registered till February of next year.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
The rear fender was garbage and the stock light expensive.
Luckily UFO makes a reproduction part, unlucky for me: it's expensive.

but it's a super high quality piece, nicer than OEM Kawi I think.
and filter got cleaned

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Sprockets and chain were poo.

New Partzzzzzz.

Again all my bikes get a case saver, this one already had one.

and new chain and sprockets are on and looking very nice.
Also had to get a chain adjuster cam as one was missing.
All mocked up.

At this point I think I may possibly swap the bars and I'm looking pretty hard at a newer KLX 450 headlight and switch gear. (Kinda like Steve had on his Hybrid bike).
What do you think? I think it's pretty sharp.