Another KX250 Project...

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
KLX 450 headlight would be an awesome look for that bike. It's coming along nicely!

D

Deleted member 12904

Looks awesome! I really enjoy see you clean up these bikes.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
KLX 450 headlight would be an awesome look for that bike. It's coming along nicely!

Thanks, I think that's what I'll do!

Looks awesome! I really enjoy see you clean up these bikes.

Thanks, tons of work, but I'm going to ride this one today!

You need to put some rubber fork boots on it to keep the mud and crap from falling into the groove. They came with them.

I got the new updated fork dust seals, they don't have a groove, they have a tapered-up profile to shed mud and crud (it actually omits the OE dust boot clips too).
I think the accordion style rubber fork boots are not good looking, but they're only $26 bucks, if someone down the road wants to put them on they can.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I found a new clutch lever, and found a cross bar pad then ran wire for a headlight and switch in the future (someone had clipped the OE headlight run lower in the loom) pulled the triple three clamps to check the grease in the headset and finished reassembly and I took the KDX for a rip yesterday. I ran out of dirt pretty fast in every direction, but I got a good test ride in some nasty conditions: mud, snow, rock, a few big hill climbs etc.

Initial thoughts:

This bike would make a great first bike, it starts first kick every time: hot or cold, choke off, in gear, weak kick, the thing just wants to run.

It makes very smooth power it almost feels like a very small KTM 300 (in how it delivers power).

The clutch pull is soft, it took me a while to figure it out because it's so unlike anything I'm used to.

It's very hard to stall and has a good range because it's a 6 speed. I think I ended up with a 13/48. I'm pleased with the gearing and and the slightly lower than stock (13/47) gear tightens up the ratio just right for the power.

The forks are very good now, they don't wallow like stock and they don't bottom off of large drops (like a 4ft loading zone) and stay up in their stroke well in choppy square edge rocks. I did 500cc's of 7w and 30cc of 5w = 6.88w in each fork based on some valving recommendations on a KDX forum. The stock fork setup felt unbalance with too soft forks and too firm shock. Now it's much more balanced: I may slow the low speed rebound in the shock because it kicked my butt when I jumped low jersey barrier, but I'll start by setting the sag and putting it back to stock clicker settings.

I didn't realize how comfortable a wider saddle is.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Already?!! Your a bike flippin ninja!

Ha thanks, I like doing it, I hooked up another RME'r as a first bike, so it's "staying in the family" so to speak.
I didn't really make anything, it was just cool to hook up a friend and hopefully get him out there.
I'm sure he'll love it!
And talk more about it once he gets more used to riding.