Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Join the revolution and buy a JT

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Okay almighty RME brain trust here is the deal. I need help with this weeks vehicle ADD moment. After many years of having zero time in my life i've become fortunate to have an abundance, and if I don't want to get a divorce that means I can't spend my average of 19 days off a month in the house with my wife :rofl:.

Here is what I'm after, I want to explore the great state of Utah more, but I also want to start exploring CO, WY, ID, NV more. Due to my schedule, many of these adventures will be solo.

I love my F350 for known trips, nothing else to say about it.... its giant. If I know where I'm going and I've been there before and I know it will fit, its my preferred platform. I'm on the hunt for something to explore the unknown to me, that I don't have to trailer. I love my sxs its great for what it is, but I don't want to trailer for these kinds of adventures.

I want something that can tackle medium to hard obstacles (think poison spider not pritchett), and can fit camping gear, most of the time for one but room for 2 and the dog. Also want to head to Moab again, this last trip in the sxs refreshed my memory on just how beautiful that area is. But again don't want to always trailer and stay in a hotel, I want to camp out away from people, down roads I don't want to drag my trailer down. I was thinking I wanted to go the buggy/truggy route but see trailer argument.

Will be a daily, but I don't put a bunch of miles on a daily. Outside of bad snow days won't even be commuted in as long as the Jetta keeps running.

I currently own a 3rd gen runner, bone stock with 205k. My initial thought was to build this, OME lift, add a locker or two. 32's maybe 33's call it good. But if i'm honest i'm not super fond of getting out in narnia and encountering something hard with IFS. Different ball game for sure, but wheeling the sxs on off-camber stuff has not made me appreciate independent suspension in that element. That and breaking front end drivetrain parts.

So whats the other option. Started thinking about picking up another JK (sadly the going rate for an "older" JK is not much less than I traded my virtually new one in for 10 years ago) Many of you have the JL platform and have spoken about how much better it is than the JK. Early JL's are within the conceivable budget but the Rubi's seem to be out of range unless they have a rebuilt title.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
JL non Rubi. The 8 speed negates the need for a 4:1 t-case, and they drive way better than a JK. A very mild lift and 35’s will tackle PSM quite easily. I hesitate to say JT, just because of the overhang. You’ll need more tire and lift to get through the same obstacles as a JL. The road manners and storage capacity is awesome, though.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
JL non Rubi. The 8 speed negates the need for a 4:1 t-case, and they drive way better than a JK. A very mild lift and 35’s will tackle PSM quite easily. I hesitate to say JT, just because of the overhang. You’ll need more tire and lift to get through the same obstacles as a JL. The road manners and storage capacity is awesome, though.

I support this statement and believe it to be truth. You're welcome to ride along in my cute JT one of these days. I don't see anything on the horizon as far as a trip until about mid-late January for me though. I'm still on the fence on whether I'd buy a diesel if I had to do it over again. Just like when I bought it, there are good/bad things about the diesel vs the 3.6.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
WJ with JK axles. And no debt.
Honestly, this. With some goodies/upgrades

I love my JT but I’d love something cheaper to be honest. If I could sell it without a major value loss, I would. But I know I can’t, so I keep it.

I get it and if I was going to get something of that era it would be an LJ. But the debt will be minimal, we own all other cars outright and our only debt is the house, no kids and OT should be plentiful next month. By the time the trigger is ready to be pulled should have a good amount saved and 4runner sold if I go the JL route.

JTs pretty much off the table as well. They are just too long, I already have a land yacht. The real choices come down to 4runner build, JL or JK.

Thought with the JL over the 4runner build/axle swap. If I’m in Narnia, WY and need a part, I feel the an availability of the JL is going to far exceed trying to track something down for an SAS 4 runner. JL seems to be the consensus over a JK and honestly the price gap isn’t that big.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I voted build the 4R, but for what you're after a Lexus GX470 would fit the bill nicely (other than IFS). It's comfy to lay down road miles, wheels pretty well, and has loads of room for gear. You also get reliability from the Toyota name without as much of a Toyota tax. I miss my GX for most road trips I do in my Land Cruiser. It was a super fun platform.

mbryson

Supporting Member

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I've seen that! It's got an LS

mbryson

Supporting Member
I've seen that! It's got an LS

@ebryson was tormented by it for 3 trail days at EJS this year. It's good I was only tormented by it 1 day. It's a sexay rig

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Only reason I say look at the JT’s are the great value proposition vs JL/JLU, possibly better road trip manners, and overlandy gear storage bonanza.

If you’re looking to explore all the states you mentioned, I would make sure the right weight is being placed on road manners vs technical trail rating. If it’s a chore to drive, you will drive less.

So a well built IFS Toyota (per @moab_cj5) is my first choice for overland type exploring, then JL/JLU/JT. Rubicon. (If the solid axle has to be a requirement, then so should lockers.)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
If you decide to go with a Jl, I would highly recommend that you look for one that has the option of LED headlights and fog lights if possible.

The factory headlights on my JK were terrible and I upgraded to aftermarket LED's, but even they weren't great.

The factory LED headlights on the Jl and JT are amazing, they put out so much light and it's easier/safer to drive in the dark.

02SE

I haven't kept up with all the different Jeep versions, so can't comment on those. I did have a 3rd gen 4Runner for 22 years. During that time the only repair it needed was a hydraulic clutch hose, about $20 and maybe an hour of my time. It went anywhere I wanted to take it with it's locking rear diff, although admittedly I never took it into anything really extreme. I'm sure in extreme circumstances a SFA with a locker would do better.

They're kind of small, so they fit where some bigger rigs just don't, but that also limits what you can take. Being a long time Toyota guy, I say Toyota. But recognize that a vehicle locked front and rear W/solid axles, will handle extreme terrain better.