Any ideas on this clunking/popping noise?

Wasatch Rebel

Man of the mountains
So today when I got home from work, I got underneath and bench pressed the rear end a couple of times and found the sound. It's a broken shock as a couple of you mentioned it might be. In my Haynes repair manual it says to jack up the rear of the vehicle and put it on jack stands, then remove the tires, then put a floor jack under the axle. So I have some questions regarding this...

1) If I'm putting jack stands under it, I would think they'd go under the axle. If so, why the floor jack?

2) I have an old floor jack that for some reason doesn't go up any more when pumping the handle. Is it broken or is there something I can do to make it work?

3) By "under the axle" would I be using it under the differential? If not, where?

sixstringsteve

Congrats on finding the issue!

1) you can't get jack stands under the vehicle without first jacking it up. And no, they will not go under the axle this time. You need the axle to droop, so you put the jackstands under the frame and let the axle droop.

2) It may need new hydraulic fluid, or it may need to be bled. I would strongly advise against using a jack that isn't in perfect operating condition. I'm sure you have 5 people on your street who have floor jacks. See if you can borrow one.

3) I usually jack my truck up by the differential.

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
Honestly, I would just unbolt it and pull the shock down (compress it) and replace in the same order, you really should not need to do any of that stuff. "If" you cant compress it enough to get it out (and the new one in) than just jack up the body of the car some. its a pretty easy swap.

Shocks are about the easiest thing you can replace.

sixstringsteve

old man emus are great, but I've also had excellent results with the cheapo monroe shocks. I like 'em better than my bilsteins.

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
Well done on finding it.

I would agree with both above. OME are nice, also seen Monroe work well too.

If you can't get the nut to spin (they like to sieze up there) A last resort trick I do is Bend the shock front to back, side to side, over and over, and it will snap the top off and fall out. beats buying a torch... But can still be rough on your arms.

It's a 14MM nut on top of the shock Just FYI, its hard to see up there. Good luck! (if your already done hope it went well!)