Any interest in buying a Roof top tent?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
anything you can tell me about them how do they work? what do they work with? give me everything you can. website?

I'm also curious... How difficult is the take down, and how long does it take?

They are tents that mount on your roofrack or other roof load bars. They usually have a built in mattress and a hard floor. Generally, half of the tent sits on the roof and half is supported by a ladder. The two halves fold together over the roof like a book, collapsing the tent so you can zip a waterproof cover over it. To deploy, you just zip off the cover, fold it open and maybe set up a few support bars.
This shows what I'm talking about

Some tents, like the Maggiolina are a hard fiberglass shell that pops up or folds open.
http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/maggiolina.php

Yep, setup is just like he said! They're super easy, just unfold it and it's ready to go. No messing with poles, spikes, rain flys, etc, etc. It takes about 2 min to pull the cover off, then unfold the tent. When you're putting it away you have to take a little more time and tuck some of the loose material inside folds, but it's much easier than breaking down and then rolling up a tent. You stay warmer being off the ground, less time to setup & breakdown camp, there's a nice mattress and tons of room. Our Mombasa is huge, you could comfortably sleep 3 adults side-by-side in it.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Does anyone one have one that they use with a Jeep? or do they?

Plenty of people do use them with Jeeps, you just need roof rack bars to mount the tent to. The tents are usually pretty heavy, mine is about 200#'s so it can be a chore to lift up onto & remove from the vehicle. Being mounted on the roof they will also increase the wind resistance at speed quite a bit. When we took our 4Runner out on a recent trip with the RTT mounted, it knocked 2 MPG off our average. We also had a nasty headwind, which I'm sure didn't help.

I plan to build a trail trailer soon and mount the tent on it. That way it will be off the top of the vehicle and we can park the trailer, setup camp & the tent and take the 4x4 exploring.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
rooftop-tent.jpg

car-top-tent-2007-expedition-series-roof-top-tent.jpg

tjpr2.jpg

oasis_tent.jpg

0709_4wd_01_z+arb_simpson_ii_tent+jeep_liberty+front.jpg

425_Overland_spiaggia_front.jpg

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I wanted one badly last year. This year I am broke.

ditto, and I already sold my trailer trying to keep up on my bills :(

I wouldn't put one on my ZJ due to it's already top heavy nature, but if/when I get into a tacoma I'd put one on the back in a heartbeat.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Hey did you post this on EXPO Portal as well? you might get some more bites over there as well.. While I can't afford a new one I have personal interest in people getting a good deal on this HEHE :)

burke

yeah, i thought about portal but they all need to ship to the same address. And I am not sure that Campinglab wants this promoted where people are likely to pay his regular price (which is really good compared to his competition that are essentially selling the same tent). Being that i can't find the other two folks i will probably succomb to the wife and her desires for another tent trailer. if you see a m-416 up for sale you'll know i wussed out.