Any Interest in doing part of the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route in 2014?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12904
  • Start date

Tonkaman

I haven't pulled the trigger on a desert tank yet. I can't decide which one to buy since they all have mixed reviews. It seems none if them fit well

D

Deleted member 12904

I haven't pulled the trigger on a desert tank yet. I can't decide which one to buy since they all have mixed reviews. It seems none if them fit well
At this point you will end up buying what you can get in time. A lot of them have a fair amount of lead time I think

D

Deleted member 12904

Got my rack bent up and tacked

pulled off and welded up. Now time to pack

D

Deleted member 12904

That is awesome!! I've been wanting to do something like that for a while now.
Good work!
Thanks I'm only into it 1.5 hours so far and I took the material from Dugfabs garage so the price is right.

D

Deleted member 12904

It was a success in that we found out how unprepared we are for the big trip.

D

Deleted member 12904

What did you lack in the way of preparation?
one of my dry bags ripped. Andrew had a yard sale a handful of times with his gear. Tonkaman ran out of gas and melted a strap on his giant loop. And a bunch of small stuff

D

Deleted member 12904

Looks like they lied.. "Will not melt they said"..
His bag is awesome! I don't think the bag would melt. It was one of the nylon webbing straps sitting on the exhaust header. We made a bracket real quick yesterday to fix the tie point and dugfabs wife said she will sew the strap back together.

My rack did great but I am going to make a few minor changes.

Tonkaman

Im really glad we were able to do this ride. It took a while to find the new balance point with all that gear on the back. I love my bag and with the new bracket Jacob made for me it will be problem free. I also learned that this 511 motor is using double the fuel that it used to so even the biggest desert tank available will leave me a bit short. No matter the problems I know now more than ever that this will be a life changing trip

D

Deleted member 12904

It took a while to find the new balance point with all that gear on the back.

I never really did find it. I felt like I was going to wash out in every corner. Oh well I will just ride at the pace I fell ok with and hope you guys wait up for me. Im sure I will at least catch up with you when you run out of gas and need to pull some from my tank lol.

dugfab

I will take one for the team and take the tail : ) and meet you at camp with all the stuff you dropped . Only because I will be the slowest : )

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12904

So one thing we all learned from the dry run is that aside from the giant loop Voile straps are the JAM! Backcountry.com just sent me an email with a $20 credit so I ordered another 10 of the 15" voile straps and two new heavier duty dry bags. I am officially ready to go now. Bike is ready, Have all the gear I need and the luggage I need to take it.