Any Interest in doing part of the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route in 2014?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12904
  • Start date

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I borrowed my dad's KLR and have been riding it for the last two weeks. That was a bad idea. I'm putting the TTR and the YZ up for sale. Replaced the TTR with a KLR and the YZ with a KTM 300. Best of both worlds. So get on the KLR bandwagon Jake!

D

Deleted member 12904

I borrowed my dad's KLR and have been riding it for the last two weeks. That was a bad idea. I'm putting the TTR and the YZ up for sale. Replaced the TTR with a KLR and the YZ with a KTM 300. Best of both worlds. So get on the KLR bandwagon Jake!

So far most of the people selling them think they are worth far more than they are worth to me. I plan on keeping my eye open and if the right KLR shows up for the right price I will snag it. I'm thinking it will be anytime from fall-next spring for me though as right now is the time to sell not buy.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
A KLR... oh noes! :eek:

A Suzuki DR650 is 3x the bike of a KLR and a 5 gallon tank for a DR is just a couple hundred dollars. I had a KLR for about 6 months, plenty of people love them but the engine is weak, suspension sucks (the front forks are scary on the freeway) and it's hideous. The engine upgrades don't do much either. The DR650 on the other hand is air cooled (versus the watercooled KLR), makes more power and the rear subframe of the DR is extremely strong for loading up with gear. Plus the aftermarket supports the DR very well....

If I were to ride to South America, I'd take a DR650 all day long rather than a KLR.

D

Deleted member 12904

I keep an eye out for a dr650 also. I really need to get a few projects finished up and let my wife have a spot back in the garage before I bring a bike home. So it I can wait for a deal.

Greg

Admin
I keep an eye out for a dr650 also. I really need to get a few projects finished up and let my wife have a spot back in the garage before I bring a bike home. So it I can wait for a deal.

Not being in a rush is the best way to buy.

If anyone gets a DR or has some questions, I've owned a couple and highly modified my 2nd one... I honestly miss that DR, if I could swing it I'd have one as a in-between bike to fall in line with my 250 and the 990. :D

1165792891_oLyVz-M.jpg

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Well, my TTR sold today and I'm picking up a 2000 DR on Friday. I may hit you up Greg. I have read your Dr thread. Did you think the fork upgrade was worth the trouble and money?

Greg

Admin
Well, my TTR sold today and I'm picking up a 2000 DR on Friday. I may hit you up Greg. I have read your Dr thread. Did you think the fork upgrade was worth the trouble and money?

Congrats!! Yeah, let me know if you have any questions... loved my DR!

I really liked the RMZ forks over the stock DR forks, but there are other upgrades you can do to the factory DR forks for huge improvement. A pair of heavier springs and some Ricor Racing Inertia Fork Valves will drastically improve the front end feel without requiring a ton of effort to swap on new forks. My suggestion would be to get the bike setup (bigger tank, if that's your plan) and see how the front end feels to you and if it needs help, then modify from there. I could easily bottom out my stock forks, but I tend to ride pretty fast in the dirt.

BTW... my favorite DR aftermarket parts supplier is ProCycle - http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html

D

Deleted member 12904

This cold has me depressed and wanting to look forward to something next year. Who is up for Dirt Bike adventure in 2015? Where should we go? Lets set a date

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
This cold has me depressed and wanting to look forward to something next year. Who is up for Dirt Bike adventure in 2015? Where should we go? Lets set a date

I'm down. My schedule is looking much calmer for 2015 (so far) and I'd love to get some adventures on the books. I'd really like to do our 2010 UCEII route on a dirtbike. Fuel would be tricky so perhaps we either cache fuel or find someone to play Sherpa?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I'm down. My schedule is looking much calmer for 2015 (so far) and I'd love to get some adventures on the books. I'd really like to do our 2010 UCEII route on a dirtbike. Fuel would be tricky so perhaps we either cache fuel or find someone to play Sherpa?

Throw up some dates, I could be talked into schlepping fuel and tents and such.