Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

sixstringsteve

interesting does it drop off the big ring, or the small ring? Meaning toward your right foot, or does it slip down to the bb shell?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
It drops to the left. It is in the big chain ring but that is really the middle since it started as a 3x10 and I replaced the big chain ring with a bash guard. I could probably drop a link or two from the chain too.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

I'm surprised the front der can't keep it on line. Probably not the case with you, but I've seen a lot of people pedaling backwards (in increments) while going downhill, and never pedal forwards. This can definitely lead to the chain coming off. I used to do an occasional full pedal revolution on long downhills to make sure the front derailleur keept the chain on track. I don't have to do that anymore now that I have a clutch derailleur and a wide-fat chainring.

You can't argue with the weight of the little chain device, that's pretty cool. I wonder if the constant rubbing would get annoying. I'm excited to hear what you think of it.

Last edited:

UFAB

I ride an old school 26er. Ha ha

Bought a bunch of parts online and lock tighted it together..

Its around 24.5 lbs

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1402629366938.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1402629366938.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 17

Caleb

Ok, guys...I'm sure this has been discussed a time or two in here already but here goes. If I were to get back in to mt. biking, what bike would you suggest I look at? I'm 80% sure I want a hard tail, my last bike was a FS Cannondale Jekyll. Nice bike, but I didn't enjoy the FS like I thought I would. Mind you this was probably 8 or so years ago, so I'm open to being convinced otherwise. I mostly plan to ride the trails I normally would on a motorcycle on a mt. bike instead (AFC particularly, but I'm sure Millcreek and other areas where I can't ride a motorcycle will work in to my rotation as well). I'm largely looking to do something to get/stay in shape. Budget I'd put it in the $1k-$1.5K. I'm open to buying everything and building it, it wouldn't be my first build, but I'm also open to a complete bike. I'm also open to used if I knew I was getting a good deal.

Suggestions? What lbs's should I check out, or is online where it's at? I bought my wife's road bike at Canyon Bike Shop and they treated me great I felt, but every time I say that most guys cringe. So, it's been a long time since I've biked, educate me a little :D

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I ride a Giant reign and love it. I think I would also like a 29e with 3-4 inches of travel. I used to ride a hard tail but I would never go back. Soft tails are so much easier on my ass that even if handling rough trails wasn't an issue I would go soft tail for comfort in the saddle alone. I would go ride a 29er and see if you like the handling. They really are a lot smoother if you want a hard tail or short travel soft tail.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'll be riding AF Canyon tonight if anyone wants to join.

I am almost done with my house work and will be able to get out and do some riding and some wheeling soon. Its been killing my to work inside every weeknight and weekend with the awesome weather we have had. My deadline for the housework is Monday night. I'm headed to Moab Tuesday and we get new carpet the following Monday which is what the work has been preparing for. So, give me a couple weeks and I'll be down for some trail rides, maybe someone will be able to give me tips so I don't fall off my bike and dislocate my shoulder again. :eek:

sixstringsteve

Ok, guys...I'm sure this has been discussed a time or two in here already but here goes. If I were to get back in to mt. biking, what bike would you suggest I look at? I'm 80% sure I want a hard tail, my last bike was a FS Cannondale Jekyll. Nice bike, but I didn't enjoy the FS like I thought I would. Mind you this was probably 8 or so years ago, so I'm open to being convinced otherwise. I mostly plan to ride the trails I normally would on a motorcycle on a mt. bike instead (AFC particularly, but I'm sure Millcreek and other areas where I can't ride a motorcycle will work in to my rotation as well). I'm largely looking to do something to get/stay in shape. Budget I'd put it in the $1k-$1.5K. I'm open to buying everything and building it, it wouldn't be my first build, but I'm also open to a complete bike. I'm also open to used if I knew I was getting a good deal.

Suggestions? What lbs's should I check out, or is online where it's at? I bought my wife's road bike at Canyon Bike Shop and they treated me great I felt, but every time I say that most guys cringe. So, it's been a long time since I've biked, educate me a little :D

I rode my new hardtail today up AF canyon and I loved it. It's bumpier, it transfers more jolts to my wrists and calves, and it was at least 5 mph slower on the downhill, but it was so much fun to ride. I'm not going to sell my full suspension bike, but I do see the hardtail getting far more use than my dually.

If you want a hardtail, I strongly recommend getting a chromolly (sometimes just called steel) frame. Aluminum is slightly lighter, it's cheaper to build, and easier to find, but aluminum is stiff and aluminum hardtails beat the crap out of you on trails like AF Canyon. Not many companies are building with chromolly these days. Some cheap chromolly hardtails that come to mind are the kona honzo (29er) and the Kona explosif (650b). They fetch a pretty penny even used, but they're supposed to have great geometry. If you enjoy the downhills, I recommend a bike with a slack head angle. XC bikes will have a head angle of 69-71*, and it's so upright that it's twitchy at speed. Great for climbing, sucky for just having fun on the downhills. Downhill bikes, on the other hand, have 65-66* head angles. Slack head angles (the lower the degrees) steer awesome at speed, feel super playful, but tend to wander a bit when climbing. My current bike has a 67* head angle and I really like it. 66* would be even better for my tastes, but that's pretty tough to find in a hardtail.

As far as local shops go, I love the Bike Peddler in AF (though they have some pretty pricey bikes) and Canyon Cycles in Draper. I love those guys. SOme don't, but they've always been extremely knowledgeable and not condescending to me. I would avoid infinite cycles like the plague.

So, to answer your question. I'd look for a steel/chromolly hardtail with a 67* head angle and a fork with ~120 to 140mm of travel. Older Rocky Mountain blizzards are awesome, older kona explosifs had the 26" wheels, and current explosifs now have 650b (27.5") wheels. You'll save a ton of money by buying a complete bike. Building a bike piece by piece ends up costing 1.5-2x what a complete bike would cost. I like Pinkbike's classifieds, they have some fun bikes on there. Good luck.

sixstringsteve

I ride an old school 26er. Ha ha

Bought a bunch of parts online and lock tighted it together..

Its around 24.5 lbs

I don't see myself riding anything with wheels bigger than 26". That's super light for that bike, I'll bet it does really well.

sixstringsteve

Last night was one of the best rides I've ever been on in my life. I'm not sure what it was, but it was incredible. Coming down the 040 switchbacks was perma-grin for half an hour all the way to tibble. SOOO much fun. It was a lot of work to get to the top of 040, but it was well worth it. We did our fair share of hike-a-bike.

Once the snow is cleared, I'd like to ride from Pole Line Pass down to tibble via 157 and 040.

sixstringsteve

My favorite shuttle is to ride 157 from the summit over to 41. Then the 41 to Tibble.

I'll bet that's a fun one. the guys I was with have ridden that and they liked it. have you ever descended the switchbacks on 040? It's 10x more fun than on a dirt bike. We passed 5 dirt bikes on our way down.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'm working nights or I would.

I ended up riding corner canyon from anne's up then down rush then But over to potato hill. It was cool and not too crowded. Great ride.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
Well, my wife and kids surprised the heck out of me this weekend. They had ordered me a new Fezzari all-mountain bike for Father's Day...wow. I got the call yesterday that it's done so I can pick it up today!!!