Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Samersen gave me a good tip. The bike I just got from him, he'd gotten at a good discount from a rental company in Park City. It'd been ridden hard and then he rode it harder and it needs some maintenance, but wrenching on bikes is much easier than wrenching on trucks. Don't be afraid to get something super cheap right now to get you through the summer, and then look for the really good deals once the riding season is over. Rentals are upgrading their fleets, shops are getting rid of inventory, the prices on KSL will be lower too.

cackalak

Keep in mind, though, if there are issues with the frame (cracks, failures, etc.), the warranty is not transferrable from the original owner. The risk of frame failure is probably low, but just something to keep in mind if you buy used. (Note that some bike shops will still honor the warranty if you buy one of their used rentals--but not all shops do this).

sixstringsteve

i went to draper's new bike pump track today. It's amazing. it was still under construction, So i didn't get to ride much, but it's going to be amazing. There were some small, medium, and large dirt jumps in addition to everything they had before.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Let's talk bike stands. Anybody had any luck with with under-$50 stands I see on Amazon? I know the Park stands are quality but I can't bring myself to drop $100 when I can fab something functional for far less. I'm just curious if the cheap ones (like this or this) are durable enough for a casual user. I see a lot of plastic and that makes me nervous.

Kevin B.

I bought one of these and fabbed up my own mount for it to slide into a 2" receiver:

http://www.parktool.com/product/deluxe-wall-mount-repair-stand-prs-4w-1

I wasn't a huge fan of all the plastic on the other models. There have been some great reviews on some cheaper stands.

That's exactly what I had in mind. I wish I could afford it, I'm sure it's a great stand.

I found some good ideas here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Bike-Stands/. Think I'm going to skip the cheap MIC stuff on Amazon and make my own. I think combining the pony clamp setup with a vice mount will be perfect. Or as perfect as I can get without spending $200 anyway. :D

Rottenbelly

I stink.
Well my son took a really bad spill. Concussion and 2 layers of about 40 stiches and a broken thumb.
Helmet was split and chunked up. Hate to think how bad it might have been if he didnt have it on.
Good thing is he is already asking for a full face helmet for when he gets back on the bike.

Rottenbelly

I stink.
Poor guy! Did he get stitched on site, or did the ER guys just not want to clean him up? :D
They didnt clean him up at the ER till after the stiches, I had to ask them if they where going to do it.

Still really not sure how the gash happened. He crashed on the left side but his right brake lever was broken.
He wears glasses and it smashed them up so they could have cause the cut also.

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
OUCH! Hope the little guy is OK. It sucks seeing your kids crash and get hurt. My only solace is that they don't get hurt playing video games. They get hurt living an exciting life in the real world. Maybe I have a screw loose but it helps me not feel like a crappy parent when my boys get hurt doing something I encourage.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
That is a gnarly cut. What were the circumstances of the spill? I would imagine he was riding somewhere a bit more sketchy than the driveway. Also, how old is he?

Rottenbelly

I stink.
That is a gnarly cut. What were the circumstances of the spill? I would imagine he was riding somewhere a bit more sketchy than the driveway. Also, how old is he?

He is 14 and was riding home from school on the street. Its a huge down twisting road that I hit 48mph on easily.
He lost the front wheel in the gravel at a pretty good pace. He wears glasses so when he faceplanted I think those cut him some how.
But he is healing pretty fast. Got a new cast on today and doctor said there was no damage to the left eye.
He keeps asking when he can get on the bike again.
He is ready to ride again!!!!
Heres a before and now shot. Thats 8 days of difference in these shots.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Here's a quick video we took from Canyons bike park back in September. I sprained my foot about 30 min in, so most of this riding is quite mellow. That's a fun place to ride. I can't wait to go back with my new bike.

[video=youtube_share;y3NA3jOGdXM]http://youtu.be/y3NA3jOGdXM[/video]