Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

sixstringsteve

Well, he saved half and we went shopping. He wanted a 27.5" Specialized Enduro Comp. It has a Fox Shock on the rear and PIKE forks. We had a dropper post put on it and he tells me its perfect. He rides every day, rain, snow or cold and I am told by some adult friends of mine that have taken him that he is a helluva rider. I wish it was something I liked to do but I don't. So if any of you need a riding partner, he will go and I will haul him to you.

I'll let you guys know when our next big moab trip is. We're planning on riding 90 miles on the white rim trail in March/April. We could actually use a driver and a support vehicle or two, so you'd be invited to bring your rig and camp on the trail with us.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Ok, white rim trail isn't going to happen for us this year (all the camp spots are gobbled up, I wasn't fast enough). Now we're shooting for the Kokopelli trail in early May. I'll let you guys know once I get the dates nailed down. We'll have spots for support vehicles too, if you don't feel like riding.

About the Kokopelli trail:

The kokopelli trail is 146 miles long and goes from Fruita, CO to Moab, UT all on dirt. It ends on the bottom portion of the whole enchilada trail. I've only done parts of the trail. Last year, white rim trail was the highlight of the year. I'm thinking this trail may have the same potential to be the best trip of the year.

Everyone attending should read the ebook:
http://www.bikerpelli.com/KPT-guidebook.pdf

http://bikepackersmagazine.com/kokopelli-trail/#prettyPhoto

We'll be planning on the 4 day tour:

Riders should be fit & capable, having trained specifically for the ride. Plan on riding 5-6 hours per day.

Day one – Loma to Bitter Creek 33mi

Day two – Bitter Creek to Cowskin (Consider cutting off YJC) 50mi

Day Three – Cowskin to Bull Draw 33mi

Day Four – Bull Draw to Moab 26mi

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I know whistler has some of the most premiere camps in the world. It'd be an awesome trip. I've never heard of someone going to BC and not loving it.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Ok, we're riding Kokopelli trail in Moab May 10-15th. This is an unofficial trip. I'm not guiding or hosting it. I'm just riding the trail, and if anyone wants to tag along they're welcome to.

We've got room for a few support vehicles if anyone doesn't want to ride, but they do want to camp with us every night and carry a spare bike or two.

This will be a pretty strong pace. You'll want to do a little training before this trip. I think we have one 50 mile day (though that day is pretty flat and wide).

Samersen

The Kokopelli trail sounds awesome. I have talked to a buddy who would be interested as well and he said his dad could drive support most likely.

I would have to start training now for sure. Any ideas on how to train to ride for that long for so many days?

Samersen

Tonight my wife and I rode out at Solider Hallow with Slim and Knobby's bike shop (here in Heber) every Tuesday they are doing free demos on fat bikes. I have to report I did not think, that I would have so much fun on groomers as i did today!

sixstringsteve

Cool, it'd be great to have you and a friend. I'm plotting out the map right now, and I'm getting extremely excited.

I'm not going to do any intense training. Just a couple weekly rides, with a few 20 miles days thrown in. There are segments where you can hop in a car if you're feeling dead.

We're a pretty mellow group. We'll stay up all night at the fire, but we don't blast music or get hammered. You and your friends are more than welcome to join. If you're partiers with lots of music and booze we'll probably have you camp 100 yards away so we can get some sleep. :)

sixstringsteve

Tonight my wife and I rode out at Solider Hallow with Slim and Knobby's bike shop (here in Heber) every Tuesday they are doing free demos on fat bikes. I have to report I did not think, that I would have so much fun on groomers as i did today!

Man, I need to do this. I didn't have fun the few times I was out on a fat bike. I think if I had a good riding group it'd be a different story.

sixstringsteve

Ok, here are the official Kokopelli dates.

Tuesday, May 10th
6PM - Leaving Lehi/Highland area and driving to Fruita
10 PM - camp for the night

Wed, May 11th - Loma to Bitter Creek 33 mi
9 AM - begin the Kokopelli trail
6PM - arrive at Bitter Creek camp

Thurs, May 12th - Bitter Creek to Cowskin 50 mi
10 AM - start riding
6PM - arrive at Cowskin Camp

Friday, May 13th - Cowskin to Bull Draw 33 mi
10 AM - start riding
6PM - arrive at Bull Draw

Saturday, May 14th - Bull Draw to Moab via the Whole Enchilada (with an option for part of the group to ride kokopelli all the way to town26mi
10 AM - start riding
3 PM - finish

Sunday - recovery, and head back home

Even if you're not a biker, and you want to drive, you're welcome to join us as a support vehicle. My in-laws are driving my van as a support vehicle, and they'll be making food for everyone at night (provided you pay your portion of the food costs). If you'd rather cook your own meals, no problem.

This has the potential to be an amazing trip, but it really comes down to who ends up joining. The trail is plenty epic, as are the camp spots and the terrain. The only missing part is the people right now.

sixstringsteve

i was actually about to send you an email inviting you and your wife to join us. It'd be so much fun if you can make it. I totally get it though. One day we'll come visit you in Tennessee, we promise.

MattL

20160217_173510.jpg
Got out with the dog. First time this year. Was nice considering weather. Hardly any mud as you can tell on the bike. Pup loves the run. Both of us worked over by the time it was done. Tooele county.

sixstringsteve

That place looks so cool. Definitely on my bucket list. Someday I'll make it out there...

I rode 20 pavement miles on Saturday. It was good to get outside again. I am out of shape! Ican't wait for spring/summer. We're thinking of a few fun training rides in St. George and Moab in the next few months before our big trip in May. I'm thinking bearclaw poppy, Jem, gooseberry, and church rocks in St. George. Maybe Thunder Mountain too, if the snow melts in time.

And I'd like to ride Mag 7 soon. I rode a couple of the trails in the Fall and it was a riot.

Last edited: