Any river kyakers out there?

sixstringsteve

I need a new hobby like I need a hole in the head, but I've always enjoyed leisurely Kayaking down mellow rivers. I'm thinking about getting a Kyak for the wife and I so we can do some more exploring on the rivers when we camp. This is only a whisp of an idea in my head, so I'm not committed yet, just seeing if anyone out there kayaks.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I've canoed the Green from Crystal Geyser to Mineral Basin, it was a kick in the pants. I'd love to do more multi-day river trips and need a partner, so yeah, get you some boats and lets do it. :)

sixstringsteve

Do you have a boat? I did a 3-day trip down the American River as a scout and it was a great time. We built our own kayaks out of plywood and canvas and it was great. I don't want to get into any hardcore rapids, but I don't want a sea kayak either. I'm thinking the provo river, green river, muddy river, colorado river (those are the only ones I know of in UT). It'd be fun to kayak in some lakes in the Unitas as well.

Kevin B.

I have an 18 foot Grumman. With me and camping gear it sits pretty low, so I'd have to pick my rivers and time of year carefully, and I wouldn't want to go much over a class 2 either, at least not until I get some dry bags :D. The section of the Green we did last summer barely had just enough riffle in a couple places to keep it interesting, so that was ideal. The Little Grand Canyon in the Swell is supposed to be a good overnight trip too. I don't know what sections on other rivers are doable, but it'd be easy as pie to find out.

Kevin B.

which section of the green did you do last year? Maybe we'll rent a kayak first to see if the wife likes it.

Crystal Geyser to Mineral Basin. Most of our group was rafts, and the water was slack, which made it a 2 night float. Kayaks are fast and could easily get away with only one night in the canyon.

sixstringsteve

Ok Kevin, I'm talking myself into this more and more.

[youtube]mQ86mCMY61U[/youtube]

[youtube]AfRYGAQPwqs[/youtube]

[youtube]FkX1EaOD4vE[/youtube]

[youtube]_n-Kk36Im48[/youtube]

airmanwilliams

dang steve not you have me searching the internet for a kayak now. what size are you looking to get? I think my younger brother up at BYU-I has one he wants to sell thats 8' or so with paddles and a few other things for about $150

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
How funny, we recently purchased a recreational kayak that's rated for class I and II rivers, which isn't much. I want to buy another so the wife and I can head out in our own boats. I would love to eventually get into play kayaks, but that would be a long way down the road, if I get the time to play.

Living so close to the Colorado and Dolores rivers, I figure we should get into playing in the water!

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
You're not helping my wallet Steve. :shawn:

Growing up I had a pond in the back yard to paddle around in. I've always wanted to get back into it. My dad picked up a new canoe a while ago and I got the chance to take it out and wow it was fast. Hull design or something was different from what I was used to. In the back of my mind I keep telling myself it's exercise and I really ought to be doing something and paddling would be great for upper body.

Boats aren't that bad to start, probably less than a doubler if you look around. ;)

Caleb

I've actually been looking at getting a kayak. There's a couple guys I work with that are way in to it. One of them teaches an advanced kayaking course up at the U. The smaller white water kayaks would be fun, but really I would love to get a nice one and go explore Lake Powell for a couple nights or something like that.

sixstringsteve

Boats aren't that bad to start, probably less than a doubler if you look around. ;)

DEFINITELY less than a doubler!

I've actually been looking at getting a kayak. There's a couple guys I work with that are way in to it. One of them teaches an advanced kayaking course up at the U. The smaller white water kayaks would be fun, but really I would love to get a nice one and go explore Lake Powell for a couple nights or something like that.

I'm to scared to do the whitewater stuff, but exploring slot canyons in Lake Powell sounds killer! Pack a little tent and sleeping bag in there and explore. Let me know if you get one Caleb. I'm still a few months out, but i could see it happening.

Kevin B.

Ok Kevin, I'm talking myself into this more and more.

Let me help you out with that. :)

DSCF3042.jpg

100_3615.jpg

100_3617.jpg

P9170004.jpg

DSCF1877.jpg

sixstringsteve

I've got my wife on board, she wants one too. As soon as I sell a dirt bike ill start looking seriously and get a couple kayaks.

sixstringsteve

Thanks for the heads up scott! My stuff never sells when I want it to. :( Time to lower the price I guess.

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
So taking this discussion in a slightly different direction... What do people recommend in a kayak? What kind of length is desired if my target river was something like the Green that Kevin mentioned earlier? I see a lot of Rec boats with lengths between 9 and 14 feet about the only thing I see different other than length is the number of bungee cords attached to the outside. Some mention a better seat but general shape looks similar.

Any brands to recommend or stay away from? Anywhere to buy or has someone that knows something about boats?

Kevin B.

So taking this discussion in a slightly different direction... What do people recommend in a kayak? What kind of length is desired if my target river was something like the Green that Kevin mentioned earlier? I see a lot of Rec boats with lengths between 9 and 14 feet about the only thing I see different other than length is the number of bungee cords attached to the outside. Some mention a better seat but general shape looks similar.

Any brands to recommend or stay away from? Anywhere to buy or has someone that knows something about boats?

I'm no expert, but you could take any length you wanted on the section of the Green I was on. The shorter yaks are more nimble, but you don't need that on flat water. Longer yaks will be faster and more stable.