Any river kyakers out there?

sixstringsteve

That's an excellent resource Kevin, thanks. I was riding my bicycle along the provo river trail last night, and there's a really cool section just before the river dumps into Utah lake. Super calm, no current, and a great place for me and my wife to start. As soon as the dirt bike sells I'll be getting a pair of kayaks.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
That's an excellent resource Kevin, thanks. I was riding my bicycle along the provo river trail last night, and there's a really cool section just before the river dumps into Utah lake. Super calm, no current, and a great place for me and my wife to start. As soon as the dirt bike sells I'll be getting a pair of kayaks.

If you're looking for a local paddle spot I've also seen kayaks on the Jordan river between the golf course and inlet park.

TScott27

Tried kayaking before but never got to do it in dangerous waters. Does anyone know how long it would take before you can go kayaking in raging rivers? Would it take months of experience, perhaps years?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Tried kayaking before but never got to do it in dangerous waters. Does anyone know how long it would take before you can go kayaking in raging rivers? Would it take months of experience, perhaps years?

I think that depends on your comfort levels and what you consider raging. I've watched various videos online and some of them I don't think I would ever do. A 10 foot drop off a waterfall isn't something I think I would ever do. I've been up in Jackson on the snake river and watched the guys in the playboats hanging out on the Big Kahuna and I think that would take me a bit to get comfortable with. I was talking to a guide up there that Kayaked the area and ran rafts and asked if he did what the playboats did and he indicated that he just went through it and didn't try and surf on the big standing wave. He also didn't do the Eskimo rolls and said if we got stuck upside down he pulled the skirt and pushed out of the boat.

sixstringsteve

bringing this back from the dead. I hope to do a 2-3 day overnighter in a kayak soon. Does anyone know of any kayak rental places near the green river?

I did that same section of the green last month in canoes last month. We did the whitewater section above green river in kayaks on the same trip. The whole trip was a blast! Definitely be doing it again.

sixstringsteve

Yes, they do. I'll have to experiment with a few different ideas. I'll need room for my gear, and I'm not sure if he'll be able to fit once my kayak is packed up. I've heard of lots of people doing the raft thing before, but I'm not sure how it'll work.

I'm also curious about which type of kayak is best for overnight camping. I'm guessing a fishing, climb-in kayak may be the way to go. A buddy has a hook-up on emotion kayaks, so for cost alone I'm sticking to that brand.

Rock Taco

I'm also curious about which type of kayak is best for overnight camping. I'm guessing a fishing, climb-in kayak may be the way to go. A buddy has a hook-up on emotion kayaks, so for cost alone I'm sticking to that brand.

[video=youtube;98u0AVqQlt8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98u0AVqQlt8[/video]

sixstringsteve

That looks like just the right type of boat.

I'm limited to the emotion brand, they're the only ones I can afford. But I'd be down to rent one in Moab for a trip.