anybody survived the Baja 1000?

slim

Give it the berries
A friend is trying to talk me into running the Baja 1000 on motorcycles with him in November. I'm no stranger to extreme sports and used to desert race when my back was stronger and brain was weaker.

Anybody ever done the Baja before on two or four wheels?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
No one has ever done that. You guys will be the first.

BWWWAHAHAHAHH just kidding. You're gonna die though. 1000mi is a long way at speed, offroad. How's your stamina? Feeling strong? I might be able to kick in a tiny, tiny corporate sponsorship, or maybe just a small one.

slim

Give it the berries
Not to worry, this year it's almost 1150 miles not a sissy 1000. That means we get to die much more slowly and potentially more painfully. We've made arrangements with Honda to pit but it would be fun to explore sponsorship. We could put your company name on the bandages.

No one has ever done that. You guys will be the first.

BWWWAHAHAHAHH just kidding. You're gonna die though. 1000mi is a long way at speed, offroad. How's your stamina? Feeling strong? I might be able to kick in a tiny, tiny corporate sponsorship, or maybe just a small one.

Houndoc

ya, but don't they get to sleep?

Very little. With each check point, most of the mushers time is spent feeding and caring for the dogs. By the time that is done, it is usually about time to get back on the trail.

Race time usually runs 9-14 days or so on the trail. Temps -30 or colder are very common.

Overall, I think it is much harder on the mushers than the dogs.

TK1

Full Mall Crawler Status
Are you prepared for trophy trucks to come up on you at 100+ and then blow by you like you are standing still and then eat their dust for a while?:eek:

Seriously though, I'd do a few of the "shorter" BITD races or even some of the USRA races and see how you feel before committing to the 1000. If you decide to go for it I wish you good luck and be safe.

Houndoc

and the Drivers usually only drive one leg ;)

Are you meaning the Baja or Iditarod? Iditarod is one man and the dogs for the entire trip. Outside help (besides previously arranged food drops & veterinary teams at the check points) is banned.

Now....back to the topic of the Baja on motorcycle.....

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Man I wish I could even watch the 1000, but I work 355 days a year....:rolleyes:

A friend of mine raced the 1000 for many years on a KTM 360, and could talk your ear off with stories about it.

Caleb

Are you meaning the Baja or Iditarod? Iditarod is one man and the dogs for the entire trip. Outside help (besides previously arranged food drops & veterinary teams at the check points) is banned.

Now....back to the topic of the Baja on motorcycle.....
Baja

neagtea

Supporting Member
I would think about doing the san felepe 250 or baja 500 first to kind of figure the logistics as these are a loop race. Figure out the logistics on these and multiply by about 5. You will need at least 3 good chase trucks with all gear and also you will need to rely on some one like baja pits or one of the other pit organizations as you may never see your chase trucks after the start. You will need to spend some time down there in Oct. to figure out a game plan for support and to pre run. When I raced it the vehicles were not as fast but we still passed bikes and quads in a class 8 chev. truck. The advent of Sat. phones will help all we had was race radios.There is a million other details to cover.