Anybody wanna watch the Perseid meteor shower on August 11th with me?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I've always had a low-key interest in most things celestial. One of my favorite activities is to go out of town (relatively speaking) to catch a good meteor shower. Year in and year out, the Perseid shower is one of the best. As an added bonus, it takes place in August so you don't need to freeze your tail off to watch it. ;)

Random meteor image:
Martin1.jpg

This year's peak is Sunday night, August 11th and into Monday morning, August 12th. Unlike last year, the lunar cycle won't cause much interference... so, weather permitting, this year ought to be a fantastic show. I usually head out and set up camp (read: my folding chair and a cooler) around 10:30 or so, and I generally pack it in and head back home around 3:00am or so depending on a few factors.

I typically get just far enough out of town to eliminate close-up light pollution. Most of the time, I just head out to Five Mile Pass and park just beyond the parking lot (that way passing cars won't ruin my night vision). This is not a 4WD adventure by any stretch of the imagination; I typically don't venture more than 100 yards from the pavement.

Anyway, does this interest anybody else? If so, perhaps we can make it a group outing.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Maybe I'll see it from Wyoming Friday night?

For any given year, the Perseid meteor shower is generally visible from July 20th to August 20th. However, the number of meteors visible on any given night in that date range forms a bell curve (more or less). This year's peak is August 11/12, so that's why I'm going out on that night (again, weather permitting). Assuming you are someplace without light pollution, I am certain you will see some meteors on Friday night.

Can this be seen from anywhere in Utah or is one location better than the other? I'd be interested.

Anyplace throughout Utah will be fine--in fact, all of North America should offer a great show. The further you are from civilization (read: sources of light pollution), the better you'll be. Wide open spaces are preferred over mountain canyons, as you'll have a wider field of view.

Where are you thinking of going?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Any tips on where in the sky

For this specific shower, meteors typically radiate from the constellation Perseus (hence its name) and thus people will tell you to look to the northeast. However, when viewed at the peak period you are likely to see meteors almost anywhere in the sky. I'm tellin' ya, this is a good show. If you've never sat out to watch a shower before, you are in for a real treat. The only annual shower that beats it is the Geminids shower, but that takes place in December (brrr!) and will be seriously compromised this year by a full moon.

or how to best view?

I cam sum it up this way: look up. :)

BTW: here is a fantastic web site to track showers, eclipses, and other celestial phenomena. I keep it bookmarked on my phone.

http://www.seasky.org/astronomy/astronomy-calendar-current.html

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
That figures, something fun happening on my days off. Of course it happens on THE day my days off switch

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
UPDATE

Well, we are just over a week away from the big event. Assuming no precipitation and few clouds, I am guaranteed to be there. Anybody else?

There are usually other people that congregate in/near the 5MP parking lot, so I am willing to head around the corner to the parking lot at the Snakes trailhead. If we head all the way to the inner edge of the parking area, we ought to be comfortably away from the road so that passing cars won't bother us. Does that sound good?

04whitetj

I am definitely interested...need to check with the boss to make sure we are free.

Would anyone have any interest on doing an evening run up the snakes? We could get back down in time to meet the others to watch the show at the trailhead.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
We're in the "likely" category (pretty good commitment from my girl when it comes to Jeeps). I like your idea of the snakes parking lot. I'll see you there unless something is posted differently

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I've got 3 children 4 and under, and we plan on going out to see it, do any have you have small children coming? I figured we would go out on our own to prevent any frustration from folks, but if there will be other children we would love to be in the group. My children are rather friendly and enjoy meeting new friends.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I have no problem with kids being there (even though I have none of my own). However, would they be old enough to appreciate the situation? An 8-yr-old should be no problem, but wouldn't a 2- or 3-yr-old be bored out of their mind? All we'll be doing is sitting in lawn chairs (or lying on a blanket) and looking up. Of course, I guess if they just fell asleep....

As for wheeling before nightfall, my schedule won't allow it. But if anyone else wants to go, don't let me stop you.