Anyone an expert with Chevys?

embabe

My own epidemic!
My mom's tahoe is having... issues... and I need some help. I'm about 70% sure its a problem with the starter motor... Anybody know anything I can try? It won't start at all. :(

Caleb

embabe said:
My mom's tahoe is having... issues... and I need some help. I'm about 70% sure its a problem with the starter motor... Anybody know anything I can try? It won't start at all. :(

does it crank? if there's nothing then the first thing I would check is if you have a good battery, if it cranks then start checking to make sure you have spark and fuel getting to where it needs to get to...

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Why do you think it is the starter? When you turn the key what happens? Does it sounds like the starter is turning the motor over? If so does it ever "cough" like it is trying to start? Or when you turn the key to start it is everything quiet?

One common problem is the fuel pumps go out. Turn the key to the "on" position while someone listens really close by the gas tank. When you first turn the key to "on" the fuel pump should make a noise for about a second. If you hear no noise, it could be a fuel pump.

Post up more info for more ideas

embabe

My own epidemic!
Well we just jump-started it and it turned over, but when we were trying to start it on its own it made a strange thunking/clicking sound that sounded like the starter motor just wasn't working right... I'll go check the distributor right now. :D

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I vote that it is a dead battery now. Sounds like maybe not enough amps to turn over the starter. Loosely speaking "amps" is how much strenght the battery has. Any checker / auto zone / pep boys will check your battery for free to see if it is strong enough.

embabe

My own epidemic!
The thing that made me think it wasn't the battery is the fact that it made the clicking sound like it was trying to start, and the gauges all read normal for battery power. She just had the battery cables replaced back in April, so it can't be that again. The terminals are clean. It just sounded so strange... like something wasn't connecting correctly in the starter motor? My dad just took it for a drive, so I'll have to look at the distributor when he gets back.

Meat_

Banned
What year of Tahoe would have helped ;)

If it did nothing on it's own, then clicked when you jumped it the battery is either dead or you aren't getting a good connection to it. The later can cause the former, and the former can cause the later but both can happen on their own :ugh: The alternator could be going on you.... being a Tahoe it's fuel injected, which means electric fuel pump, computer and a host of other power hungry things, so a battery has to be GOOD. If it's new enough it could be multi port injected which means no distributor ;)

embabe said:
...She just had the battery cables replaced back in April, so it can't be that again...
Don't be so sure ;)

embabe

My own epidemic!
It's a 95 or 96 I think... but I'm getting the drift that a new battery would be a good start.... so we'll start with a new battery. :rolleyes: If it still makes the great sound when we try to start it... well then we'll look somewhere else too. *sigh* Hopefully now my dad will start looking more seriously at that new Rubicon Unlimited... ;)

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
embabe said:
It's a 95 or 96 I think... but I'm getting the drift that a new battery would be a good start.... so we'll start with a new battery. :rolleyes: If it still makes the great sound when we try to start it... well then we'll look somewhere else too. *sigh* Hopefully now my dad will start looking more seriously at that new Rubicon Unlimited... ;)

Em,
Have your mom or dad drive it over and I'll look at it. I agree with most of the others that the battery or battery cables are the problem. If it starts with a jump then the starter motor, fuel pump and distributor are fine.

I woulodn't buy a new battery just yet. A common problem with Tahoes of that year(My mums and a friends did this) is the battery cables. Just remove the cables and clean all the connections. Buy a battery cleaner if you don't have one, if there's corrosion you can use a mix of baking soda and water to clean it. Once you have nice clean surfaces, hook it back up the same way you took it off.
Also, if you have a multimeter, try testing your battery. Check with key in off position and while cranking...Should give you an idea if you need a battery.
Hope it helps :D