Anyone into 3D printing?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'm still working on learning Tinkercad and having fun with it. Today I built a little piece that keys into itself around a 1.5" tube. The idea is having a nice, flat surface to make a straight line (around the tube) with a sharpie- which is the hardest thing ever if you've ever seen me try and mark a tube...

Is it dumb, yes? Do I like the idea of it? Also yes. Most importantly it helped me learn some stuff and things and I'll learn even more about tolerances and whatnot when I go to put it on a tube. Hopefully I can get the neighbor to print it for me.

View attachment 168644

Oh and I also designed a piece to fit over a Ryobi battery that holds a velcro strap in place. It has a little more detail underneath but it's still nothing that neat to look at. This one should be helpful for me. I actually designed it first today and then realized I could've done it way faster with some tips and tricks I learned later in the day lol

View attachment 168645

Sorry for continually derailing the 3d printing thread :rofl:
Not derailing at all. I have barely dipped my toe into the cad side, I'm pretty impressed with your learning curve.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I'm still working on learning Tinkercad and having fun with it. Today I built a little piece that keys into itself around a 1.5" tube. The idea is having a nice, flat surface to make a straight line (around the tube) with a sharpie- which is the hardest thing ever if you've ever seen me try and mark a tube...

Is it dumb, yes? Do I like the idea of it? Also yes. Most importantly it helped me learn some stuff and things and I'll learn even more about tolerances and whatnot when I go to put it on a tube. Hopefully I can get the neighbor to print it for me.

View attachment 168644

Oh and I also designed a piece to fit over a Ryobi battery that holds a velcro strap in place. It has a little more detail underneath but it's still nothing that neat to look at. This one should be helpful for me. I actually designed it first today and then realized I could've done it way faster with some tips and tricks I learned later in the day lol

View attachment 168645

You're not derailing. You are bringing up items to consider when printing and designing though. Supports on both models would be a consideration. could they be modified so instead of a 90 degree part that sticks out to something like a 45 degree that could be printed without supports?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
You're not derailing. You are bringing up items to consider when printing and designing though. Supports on both models would be a consideration. could they be modified so instead of a 90 degree part that sticks out to something like a 45 degree that could be printed without supports?
He just printed the strap holder for me and sent a pic. I need to go grab it. I told him to just flip it on the “back” so it wouldn’t need supports. The texture on the top (and how fast it printed) makes me guess he did ludicrous speed but 🤷🏼‍♂️
imagejpeg_0.jpeg
For the supports on the other one, I figured I’d just print it with auto-supports on and see how it goes. I’m sure it’ll depend on filament and machine settings as well. I don’t plan on having him print that one anytime soon though, gotta prioritize my print requests for stuff I need lol

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
My printer came with a filter but I have to source the activated charcoal for it and have not intalled it. The printer sits in a basement utility room so I decided to put the fan in a window to keep a low-level negative pressure in the room and not worry about charcoal. I can control the fan with the same G-code that would have run the filter fan.

N-Smooth

My printer came with a filter but I have to source the activated charcoal for it and have not intalled it. The printer sits in a basement utility room so I decided to put the fan in a window to keep a low-level negative pressure in the room and not worry about charcoal. I can control the fan with the same G-code that would have run the filter fan.
Oh yeah I’m sure you’re fine

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
This guy is on a whole different level, holy cow. Learning some things too:
Print me one when you print yours. ;)

View attachment 168644

View attachment 168645

I've always just used cheap blue painters tape to mark a line on tube. As long as you line both ends of the tape up with each other, it should be an accurate and straight line.🤷‍♂️ Your line guide would be quick and handy though. Maybe don't make it as long as the drawing shows so you can mark closer to bends or nodes...?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I've always just used cheap blue painters tape to mark a line on tube. As long as you line both ends of the tape up with each other, it should be an accurate and straight line.🤷‍♂️ Your line guide would be quick and handy though. Maybe don't make it as long as the drawing shows so you can mark closer to bends or nodes...?
Check this out - would be easy to re-create for the common tube types you use. I'm super impressed with Brennan's idea and the cost is low enough to just buy from him. It's mostly just shipping cost.

N-Smooth

Yeah that's one thing where I may just slice it in half. I really need to get a printer so I can just mess with this stuff and tinker. I'm thinking I may make one with common angles as well, we'll see. If I'm feeling really crazy I could do common tube notches too :grimacing:

At the very least I'll get more proficient at CAD which is cool with me

N-Smooth

I would, but in the end he pretty much said it was a waste of time, didn't work well enough for the hassle. X-D But the build process was the cool part.
he said it caught like 60% of the shavings or something, right? I agree that's kinda meh. It was fun to watch him design it though

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I've been trying out onshape for drawings. Pretty slick tool with lots of similarities to Fusion360.
I needed a stand to hold my tablet, kindle, and phone, so 15 min in onshape I started with this:
Screenshot 2024-01-11 103943.png
Which yielded this:

Screenshot 2024-01-11 103132.jpg

Which allowed me to print this:
20240111_103948.jpg

20240111_104008.jpg

N-Smooth

Umm that's amazing and I didn't know it was a thing. I've been wondering why Tinkercad doesn't have a function like that. I just got signed up and I'm messing with it now. Thanks for the tip!

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
The really cool feature about onshape and fusion360 is they are parametric solid modelers..
All of the dimensions on the sketch are constraints, not passive measurements.
I can go back to the initial sketch and change the spacing for the middle slot from 10 to 30mm and the model readjusts..
Screenshot 2024-01-11 124855.png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 125029.png

all I did was type in a new value for the middle spacing.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

The really cool feature about onshape and fusion360 is they are parametric solid modelers..
All of the dimensions on the sketch are constraints, not passive measurements.
I can go back the the initial sketch and change the spacing for the middle slot from 10 to 30mm and the model readjusts..
View attachment 168701
View attachment 168702

all I did was type in a new value for the middle spacing.
That was one of the first things I checked out because I had to widen that stupid battery strap I had the neighbor print yesterday. Widening it from the middle in Tinkercad without changing the distance between 2 inner pieces. So I had to cut the ends off and move them around until I got it right. Dumb. It’s cool to see the pros and cons of both programs though

N-Smooth

Signed up for onshape and quickly realized I have no idea what I'm doing... :D
It's a lot different from Tinkercad, that's for sure. I've been fighting with it quite a bit today. I did make a shape like @frieed and then moved it to Tinkercad. So that's a cool option for simpler stuff. It's better than building stuff with cubes I suppose 🤷‍♂️