Anywhere to shoot along the Wasatch front??

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I used to go shooting at least once a week. Either up Farmington Canyon or up to the horseshoe in Weber Canyon. Since both places have been closed to shooting, I really havent been out at all!! :-\

I know about the Ranges in Kaysville and Bountiful but Ive never been one to go to a range unless I have to. Indoor ranges are ok for pistols and the like but I REALLY want to shoot my AK 74 Ive had for a year and havent shot yet. The ammo isnt allowed in indoor ranges.

So..

Does anyone know of a good safe place to go throw some lead?

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
I would like to know as well, I know there were plenty of restrictions last year, but are they still there? Or have they been lifted.
Please and thank you.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
One thing I have heard at Lee Kay is the pistol range is closed till April or something, due to a fire.
However I don't know if it's true, I haven't gone there in a couple years.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I only know about the ranges you mentioned in your first post. I have seen people out by Antelope Island, and people out on the north end of the GSL past Promontory, but that is about all I know of.

skeptic

I've seen and heard people shooting up AF canyon almost every time I've been there. Personally, I shoot pistol at an indoor range and rifle at an outdoor range. I'd like to find a safe and legal area out of town with nobody around, even if it's in the desert.

ChestonScout

ya.

My thread title is Wasatch front but I would like to hear where everyone is going.

AF canyon scares me to much. WAY to many people around to shoot. Im sure there are good places up there as long as its legal but like you said....I would prefer no one around

Caleb

Go out by Soldiers Pass, it's legal and if you're smart about it, it's perfectly safe. There's a great area I always go to that gets me back in to a canyon with no trails behind my shooting and a great back drop of dirt that's a couple hundred feet high (it's actually are very large hill :) ). I can safely shoot anything from pistols at 10-25 yards to rifles at 25-100+ yards. There's lots of places out there that you can shoot and be safe, however there are also a ton of places you can shoot our there and be shooting across roads or trails and be a complete moron about it. Be smart and it's a great place to shoot. It's a bit of a haul even for me and even more so for you but you can shoot whatever you want our there.

Last edited:

ChestonScout

Love it!

I dont know why I didnt think about out there. It is far but it does fit the bill.

One of the times out there on the bike I ran into some shooters that were shooting over the trail I was on. Im glad they saw me because I didnt see or hear them until I was passed. lol

Thanks Caleb!

ChestonScout

I need to make you take me bunny huntin Russ!

Well.....I had some errands to run in SLC today so I threw the guns in and went out by Soldier Pass. I think half of Utah county had the same idea! I couldnt believe the amount of people out there.

I was kinda mad and bummed for a minute but then I quickly changed to being proud that so many Americans were taking advantage of their rights just like me.

So I found a little cove that looked good.

My feelings quickly turned to disappointment. Shot up trash and bullet shells EVERYWHERE. This is exactly why I dont have any place close to home to shoot. Damn people haul their old junk out, shoot the crap out of it and leave it.

We may have to try to do a cleanup day out there.

But I set my targets up and had some fun.

The AK 74 is a flippin riot! I really really enjoyed shooting it. Ive owned a ak47 before and it was cool. But this one hardly kicks more than a 22, never jammed on me (the 47 did everytime I put a 30 rd mag in) and was really pretty accurate. I have considered selling it in favor of a AR....NOPE. I love it. I would like to get a scope and a couple accessories but it was a hoot!

I cleaned up my garbage and filled the 5 gallon bucket I had with me with trash and headed out. Nice to finally get out and send some lead down range

blznnp

Drives me crazy when we go out an see trash, I just don't get how people can be so disrespectful an leave crap everywhere

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Agreed, I have always hated seeing all the garbage, I usually pick up the brass I see, yes even the .22
Glad you had a good time, sounds like the 74 is a keeper!

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
You guys didn't know the rule about things not being trash or the responsibility of the person once it has been shoot to hell;) It really sucks people are so stupid!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

rholbrook

We shot up a few targets at the range in Fruit Height this afternoon. Harrison's new gun is now sighted in and he was putting a descent groups the size of a silver dollar at 50 yards. Next Saturday on bunny hunting Cheston. Call me mid week

Caleb

Yeah, the trash out there gets really bad, especially in the popular shooting areas. This is a big reason of why I'm glad they've shutdown shooting at Redneck hill.