Anywhere to shoot along the Wasatch front??

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The shooting trash is rampant in that neck of the hills and your absolutely right, it can/will and does lead to the areas being closed off to shooting in the future. Tread Lightly and others have really started pushing shooting trash campaigns, picking up your shells, etc. We were shooting west of the 5MP (outside the no shooting zone) and had a BLM ranger stop by, he asked us to pick up our brass (which we had already intended to do), pointing out that they are trying to spread the vibe. Any of you that have participated in the RME 5MP NPLD cleanups know how much shooter trash we bring in, guessing at least 50% of the garbage out was a target of some variety.

4554x4

always modifing something
I went to a place today that I had shot at before, Along Redwood Road near Utah Lake. Pelican Bay I believe? It was posted no shooting. I went to Rush Valley along the Pony Express trail. Years ago I hunted rabbits out there. Alot. It was posted as closed by the BLM. I came home and got on the BLM site. It is way out dated. It shows these areas open. Where Is it legal in Salt Lake County, Utah County or Tooele County without going to the range? I wanted to teach the boys some more on the .22's, and I believe some ranges dont allow .22's? I miss America.

Last edited:

blznnp

You can shoot out near pelican point, the signs do say you can't, but as long as you are between mile marker 16-20 and on the west side of the power lines, you are good to go. There is a map on the blm site, if you look close, you will see the area west of the power lines is ok to shoot.

4554x4

always modifing something
I went today, at Mile marker 16 I found this map posted on a bulletin board. The Orange areas are the no shoot areas. The "You are here" in the bottom left leads to Soldiers Pass. Thank you for the info!

Attachments

• shoot here.jpg
    shoot here.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

blznnp

yep, thats the exact same map I take with me everytime I go shoot out there. Just to make sure I am in the right area and in case any of the officers try to tell me other wise. I don't think they will but they did mess with some friends of mine one day and tried to get them for some stuff they didn't do. west of the green line and find a good spot

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
So the blue is State owned, has anyone confirmed it is in fact open to shooting? I know they had closures on some of their lands during the fire craze, still ongoing?

blznnp

So the blue is State owned, has anyone confirmed it is in fact open to shooting? I know they had closures on some of their lands during the fire craze, still ongoing?
looking at that map again, it looks like the place that I go is state land, and I have had officers drive past us while out there and not say anything, and I know they were hanging out in the area since I saw them going into the spot in a area that was a no shooting area and also when we were leaving they were still watching the area. this link might give you/us a little better info. Looks like according to the very first line, as long as you are out of city limits, then you can shoot on state land

http://www.utahcountyonline.org/dept/Sheriff/Information/FAQs.asp

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
That link also says you can shoot on BLM land which often is not the case, it isn't up to the County to decide where it is legal if it isn't their land :D That said I can't find anything in a precursory search on SITLA's reg's outside of their closure during the target shooting fire scenario in 2012. I'd consider it good to go unless posted in that case.

Caleb

When I was out in that area a few months back shooting, it was posted no shooting pretty much everywhere north of soldiers pass road. This was also the area that was all burnt from the fires.

wheelewagon

Drives me crazy when we go out an see trash, I just don't get how people can be so disrespectful an leave crap everywhere

I couldn't agree more. Sadly this is also why a lot of places are being closed to shooting. People go out there, trash it up, ruin the area, then they have to close it to try to get it to rehab. Also as the populations grow and places become more popular, the more everywhere gets closed to shooting for people hazards. The time of being able to drive anywhere and shoot is really gone out the window. I remember being able to drive in about any direction about 10 to 20 min depending on whee you lived and shoot. Where exactly on wasatch front are you? cuz I can think of places that might seem far to drive but actually are prob only 30-60 min from you depending where you are. Which now days is a short drive to do some free range shooting. The trash every where has gotten so bad now that when we go out, we don't even bring anything to shoot. Cuz there's already so much crap out there we just shoot whatever is out there already. Then do some cleanup of our own and get out of there.