August in Uintas

DAA

I was at Marshall lake on Saturday. No snow. Very little mud. Pretty much dusty all the bumpy way there. It was way crowded up there on Sat. too - people everywhere. Hopefully, going on a weekday, it won't be like that for you.

- DAA

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I was up at/near Trial Lake midweek last week which is much higher than MB, and there was not much mud to speak of.. Some snow pockets here and there up high, but just in shady areas. No snow at the Murdock Basin level, so it will only be wet by the recent rains.

DAA

I was up at/near Trial Lake midweek last week which is much higher than MB...

;) Pretty sure Trial lake and Marshall lake are at almost exactly the same elevation. Definitely, Trial isn't any higher, let alone "much". Actually, I think Marshall might be a scant 50' or so higher than Trial?

- DAA

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Take lots of repellant, we were up in the Uintas last Friday and most of the family stayed in the jeep the whole time we were there since they were getting eaten alive.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
;) Pretty sure Trial lake and Marshall lake are at almost exactly the same elevation. Definitely, Trial isn't any higher, let alone "much". Actually, I think Marshall might be a scant 50' or so higher than Trial?

- DAA

Really? Well then, that shows you how much I know about the Uintahs. I don't spend much time up there.. I thought Murdock Basin was 'much' lower than Trial Lake. I guess MB goes higher than I'm aware of..

Even still, to the OP, there's not enough snow at the Trial Lake area to cause mud, so don't let that hold you back.

DAA

Mozzy nets at the ready, spray can in hand.

Definitely a good idea! Before we left the Jeep I hosed the kids down with deet but forgot to put any on myself. By the time I got them going fishing I was about as mosquito chewed as I can remember being in a long time. Ran back to the Jeep and hosed myself down, brought the can back down to the lake! It did the job though, the mosquitos weren't a bother at all once we covered ourselves in bug dope.

Coupla pics from Saturday just for grins...

IMG_3655W.JPG

IMG_3669W.JPG

- DAA

DAA

I guess MB goes higher than I'm aware of...

Understandable mistake if you haven't take the MB road to the end. The turn off for it is much lower, less than 9,000'. But then it goes for 10 miles from there, basically climbing gradually the whole way.

- DAA

roverrocks

Definitely a good idea! Before we left the Jeep I hosed the kids down with deet but forgot to put any on myself. By the time I got them going fishing I was about as mosquito chewed as I can remember being in a long time. Ran back to the Jeep and hosed myself down, brought the can back down to the lake! It did the job though, the mosquitos weren't a bother at all once we covered ourselves in bug dope.

Coupla pics from Saturday just for grins...

IMG_3655W.JPG

IMG_3669W.JPG

- DAA
Very, very nice brookies! I can hear and smell them sizzling. My mouth is watering.

dash

I am new to the canyons around here and am wanting to know where are the good trails to ride on at and where the best fishing is. i went up A.F. canyon today. went to silver lake flat and there were a few people there but not too many. there was a old road/trail that crossed that inlet and i went through that but then i ran into a gate farther up the trail. towards the middle part of the day i went down to one of the old mining roads that was by tibble fork and went up that for quite a while. i was constantly getting dirty looks from the 4-wheelers(atvs) that i was passing but the views were incedible. Where else can you go there and how do i get to them? :confused:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I was at Marshall lake on Saturday. No snow. Very little mud. Pretty much dusty all the bumpy way there. It was way crowded up there on Sat. too - people everywhere. Hopefully, going on a weekday, it won't be like that for you.

- DAA

What were you guys using for bait (besides yourselves of course for the bugs)? I need to catch some brookies, rainbows just don't taste as good to me.