Auto VS Manual Trans

redrussell

I am stuck at a crossroads, I have both auto and manual transmissions and can't make up my mind. I have an SM465 4 speed, T-18 4 speed and a TH350 trans. I don't really consider the t-18 because I am running a 350 small blockChevy so that would require an adapter. I want to know guys expeeriences and prefferences for a trans in a Jeep. I have grown up driving a stick so it is second nature to me but I have never done crawling or anything like that. I have gone mudding, hauling, snow and ice in a stick, grew up on a farm etc. I am the only one who can drive a stick, my wife can but refuses to do so. (Could be an advantage keeping her from driving my jeep) I am thinking about if we are out hunting though and she has to drive or something along those lines. I currently have a manual in my jeep but since I am getting ready to do the engine swap anything is able to be changed right now. Plumbing a tranny cooler, pedals being different and such isn't a big deal. If I go auto I would run a tunnel shifter, what shifter would people suggest? I will have a Ford Ranger front seat in my jeep so I will have a middle passenger from time to time(One of the kids). What would people suggest for tranny though? I have a stock TH350 but I want to know if people have a bunch of cons for it. Anything suggested I need to stay with a tcase that has a passenger side drop.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Manual transmission all the way. (if nothing else it drives the guys that picked an auto nuts). ;)

If you're looking for a less biased answer:
Pick what you like, you're the one that has to live with it.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I run autos in all of my Jeeps. I have different family members using them off road and the auto is way easier and safer for inexperienced folks. I have a chevy 350 in my commando and run a 700R4 and the other off road rigs use the AW4.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
for any technical wheeling the auto will win every time. I like manuals but in my trail rigs and buggies I run autos

redrussell

I love a manual! I feel an auto is just not as manly, But I have also toasted a clutch before and been stuck waitng for it to cool down as the auto guy pulls around to pull me out. Is there an advatage when offroad in a jeep (this is going in my cj-7) to an auto when trying to climb? I have never driven an auto off road except my 76 blazer mud truck and I don't really count that because all I did was hold the gas down, it was spooled front and rear with 35" swampers. My offroading consists of hunting, ranch work and mud, haven't gotten in the rocks before so I guess my inexperience in this genre is coming out. I understand crawl ratios, with my SM465 in first I would end up with like a 127:1 ratio, is that big of gearing really needed though?

Sidious

Auto with a manual shift kit is my preferred trans.

I ran a manual in my crawler for a long time, but pretty much lived in low/low with my dual transfer cases. Never had any trouble, crawled with no issues. When I did the motor swap I switched to a 700R4 with an art car shifter. Now I hardly ever use low/low.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Why is that?

The problem with a manual is you need low gearing to make it work well, the problem with low gearing is there is no wheel speed and sometimes wheel speed is more important and crawling. being in the middle of near vertical climbs and stopping half way up makes a clutch suck to run. I am not saying it cant be done and done well. its just that it sucks to do. By the time I cram cutting brakes, atlas shifters, and my trans shifters into my **** pit i really dont want to have to worry about another pedal. Front digs and any dig is way easier with an auto as well. Look at every competitor in We Rock in the pro mod and unlimited class they all run autos for a reason.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I vastly prefer driving a manual, and that goes for wheeling too. Skippy is right that gearing makes all the difference, and with it I feel like I have more control with a standard shift.

But I wheel an underpowered Toyota on 33s with no cage, which probably leads to a much different set of tactics and definitely happens on different terrain than Mr Moneybags up there with his superchargers and forty inch tires and stuff.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I vastly prefer driving a manual, and that goes for wheeling too. Skippy is right that gearing makes all the difference, and with it I feel like I have more control with a standard shift.

But I wheel an underpowered Toyota on 33s with no cage, which probably leads to a much different set of tactics and definitely happens on different terrain than Mr Moneybags up there with his superchargers and forty inch tires and stuff.

you prefer driving a manual becasue you dont actually wheel....:p

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I don't currently own anything with an automatic tranny. (nothing that runs, anyway) I very much wish my Jeep had an auto though. I used to be a manual-transmission guy, until I learned "the way". Auto all the way for offroad stuff. (I still prefer my manual trannies everywhere else though)

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Look at every competitor in We Rock in the pro mod and unlimited class they all run autos for a reason.

Just because there is always an exception, Dean Bulloch has probably won more (comps, championships, etc.) than most folks out there, and he has always ran a manual tranny.

That being said, not everyone is Dean Bulloch. :D (or Carl Nielson for that matter)

After running a t-18 for years in my CJ, about 13-14 years ago I converted over to the auto and have never looked back!

Just a lot more control on technical stuff, not worrying about killing it all the time. Granted you can gear a manual low enough with the right engine set up to drive it like a auto, but then you lose functionality.

I run a 700R4 and my wife runs a 4L80e, first gear is nice when you putting around but the over drive is nice when you get on the road.

Random side note: the first gear in a 700R4 is something like 3.06 to 1 over the th350's 2.52 to 1, so "in theory" making 4.56s act like 5.13s. Where you are using your rig multiple uses this might be something to consider...

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I don't currently own anything with an automatic tranny. (nothing that runs, anyway) I very much wish my Jeep had an auto though. I used to be a manual-transmission guy, until I learned "the way". Auto all the way for offroad stuff. (I still prefer my manual trannies everywhere else though)

I feel pretty much the same way. I used to be a hardcore manual proponent-- until I missed a shift into reverse on a steep, steep hill and freewheeled to certain doom. After that I thought "hey, maybe automatics are better for me". Still prefer manuals for daily drivers and whatnot though. But never again on a trail rig, unless it's a sweet FJ40 or something.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Manual all the way. It takes serious skill on some hardcore obstacles, but that's half the reason I love it; I love technical driving.

In my opinion, for technical driving the worst option is an old clunky, slow shifting farm tractor transmission (T-18, etc.). The transmission needs to interface seamlessly with the operator or it's just crap. Granny low first gear is usually completely unnecessary anyway if you have the appropriate axle gears.

Last edited:

Bart

I haven't seen this thread topic for 15 years and the answers are still the same. I like autos, but I'm a firm believer in run whatever makes you happy or "run what you brung".

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
The wheel speed explanation is probably my #1 reason for loving automatics. I used to be a hardcore manual guy but I saw the light years ago and have never looked back.
That coupled with the fact that the Jeep AX manuals are pretty much junk IMO makes it an easy lifestyle choice for me :)

redrussell

Just because there is always an exception, Dean Bulloch has probably won more (comps, championships, etc.) than most folks out there, and he has always ran a manual tranny.

That being said, not everyone is Dean Bulloch. :D (or Carl Nielson for that matter)

After running a t-18 for years in my CJ, about 13-14 years ago I converted over to the auto and have never looked back!

Just a lot more control on technical stuff, not worrying about killing it all the time. Granted you can gear a manual low enough with the right engine set up to drive it like a auto, but then you lose functionality.

I run a 700R4 and my wife runs a 4L80e, first gear is nice when you putting around but the over drive is nice when you get on the road.

Random side note: the first gear in a 700R4 is something like 3.06 to 1 over the th350's 2.52 to 1, so "in theory" making 4.56s act like 5.13s. Where you are using your rig multiple uses this might be something to consider...

The side note part caught my attention. I plan for this to be more of an overland rig (Like theRubicon etc) than straight obstacles but I want to be able to go at them and have a decent shot. The 700r4, 4l60, 4l80 etc, what has better gearing but also can be made to be manual valve body and what shifters do people like to use and why?

Last edited: