Automatic or manual tranny for off-roading?

Wasatch Rebel

Man of the mountains
A guy I know is considering buying a Wrangler and wants to know if he should get an auto or manual trans. I know what I prefer, but then again, I don't do a lot of hard-core offroading. But I do a lot of driving on extreme dirt roads and every once in a while, challenge myself. I like my manual trans, but that's on a 4-runner, so it may not be the same because of that. Well, what are your thoughts?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Bunch of girls don't know how to drive a stick.

(had to provide some opposing point of view, It's been debated over and over and it really just comes down to what you are most comfortable with. I wheel a stick and most the time I am the only one in my group there with a stick.)

DAINTY*4N*JUNK

Not All Angels Have Wings
I'm a girl.. and yet I drive a stick... :) My dad wheeled a stick for 20 years, told me automatics were for lazy people, but both my uncles wheel autos in their cruisers, it's all preference.

hoosier

mtn yot
this is a chevy v.s. ford, fuel inj v.s. carb. you will get both oppinions in this. you need to decide for your self. I have a manual and I want to run an auto just because my knees are getting bad but i enjoy running the manual.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
The more difficult the terrain, the more the advantages of automatic transmissions become clear. If you drive easy to moderate trails, a manual transmission may even be better, due to the improved compression braking. Once you get into very difficult and extreme terrain an automatic transmission becomes a big advantage. Go ahead and take a survey of WEROCK rigs. Nearly every one is an automatic transmission.

rholbrook

I taught my son at 13 to wheel a stick. Now at 16 he has an automatic in his LJ and is a very competent driver. I owe this to learning to drive in Moab with a stick. He stalled it a ton at first but after a few years of driving the stick down there, he has really become really good driver. Now with an automatic, he really understands the art of wheeling.

Bart

Wheel what you want to wheel. Most people don't wheel hard core stuff and manuals with low gears are fine. 99.9% of all comp rigs are auto and there's a reason for that. There are some great drivers that stayed with a stick, Dean Bullock among them, but overall its an auto thing for rock crawling.

I do get a kick out of "people that really know how to drive" drive sticks. Thanks for the chuckle. I love to be schooled by big talkers with manuals.

roverrocks

Manuals are definitely more fun on easy/moderate stuff and the paved roads to get to the trails but I have had autos for a number of years now and would never go back to a manual. I almost killed myself a couple of times years ago off road with manuals. Autos are simply safer off road plus increase your truck's trail worthiness in my opinion. Won't stall when you most need your truck to keep going. The only manual I want is the one in the Porsche 911 my sons are going to buy me when they get rich someday. Fat chance!