aw4 problems

74highboy

tonight on my way how that trany started slipping and shifting all funny but also when it starts to slip the power to everything starts to cut out

any ideas im thinking time for new trany but that doesnt explain the power cutting out well in 1st and 2nd gear when i get in to 3rd everything is just fine

74highboy

ok so i just went out to swap the tps and im finding out their is a diffrent one if you have an auto or manual does it realy matter because i have been using the one for the manual in order to use the auto one i need to swap out the motor harness and i would need to find one

Brett

Meat-Hippy
When I have had a TPS go bad on mine, it causes all sorts of problems, including weird shifting patterns, idle control and throttle response.

As for if it matters if it's auto or manual, I am not sure. Was your Cherokee a manual to start out with? You should run a search on NAXJA and see, I'm sure there are plenty of thread that would be helpful with your problem.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Yes it matters. Since the TPS for the automatics have a connector for teh engine computer and the trans controller. The manual trans just has a connector for the computer.

74highboy

yeah i did a swap on it i have been driving it for 3 weeks now with the tps for the manual im headed to get the harness for the auto and see if that helps but other then that i think its a trans problem

i can understand the odd shifting but what about loosing power to the lights

Brett

Meat-Hippy
yeah i did a swap on it i have been driving it for 3 weeks now with the tps for the manual im headed to get the harness for the auto and see if that helps but other then that i think its a trans problem

i can understand the odd shifting but what about loosing power to the lights

The electrical power loss is pretty odd. I don't know how that could be tied to the trans problem at the same time........:confused:

74highboy

see thats whats throwing me off last time it did this it was a ground problem but it was doing a few other things as well but never afected the trany

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
you could have a electronic solenoid going out in the trans and causing a short? That could explain the power loss and erratic shifting.

DOSS

ya a tranny shop should be able to diagnose it. The first things I would do is look into your TPS issue but if your tranny was working well with your Manual TPS before it may be getting the correct signal from the TPS and could still be the TPS but I doubt it with the loss of power issue.

A tranny shop is going to charge at least $60 for a diagnostic and may come back with the answer that you have a solenoid that is sticking and that the first thing they would do is change the fluid out and see what happens as burnt fluid can cause them to stick. Once the solenoid has stopped actuating such as when you are in 3rd the issue would stop. This is only my opinion and other people may confirm or invalidate my thinking.

you can change them out in under 2 hours (I just did this recently) and it cost me $75 to do the fluid change and filter change and the solenoid (there are 2) was another $30 to change out.

74highboy

thats not bad i know the trany has 200,000 on it so im thinking just change it out with one i found and swap put the tps with the correct one and go from their

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
you could have a electronic solenoid going out in the trans and causing a short? That could explain the power loss and erratic shifting.

This is what I was just going to say... 1st and 2nd use the first solenoid, where 3rd and 4th don't.

It goes something like this

1st - sol1 on and sol2 off
2nd - sol1 on and sol2 on
3rd - sol1 off and sol2 on
4th - sol1 off and sol2 off

So the only thing that 1/2 have in common that 3rd doesn't, is solenoid 1.

I know this because there is a guy up here (for the life of me now his name escapes me) but he makes manual shifters for AW trannies (Acura, Jeep, etc) and is now in development on GM electric trannies. He contacted me to carry his product and I looked at his site and saw that diagram. But for the life of me now I can't find it.

DOSS

Woohoo I win.. no really I have seen that guys site before and was going to wire up switches myself on my tranny but I have never gotten around to it.. Don't know where the writeup is anymore either.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I just got a trans for my 98 from all truck and car for 95 bucks with 70 k on it. They had about 10 of them