Backpack shoulder straps

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I took a youth group backpacking in the Uintas a week ago and my old Jansport backpack showed its age when one of the shoulder strap mounts broke off due to brittle plastic. Jansport has a lifetime guarantee but in order to get them to check it out I have to ship the pack to them. The warranty says it doesn't cover age related normal wear and tear so I doubt they would fix it under warranty. The estimated UPS cost for shipping was about $60 due to size. I have found several aftermarket straps but none have the same mounting points. I would think that people upgrade their straps but so far I haven't found that many options. Have any of you ever upgraded your back pack straps ? if so where did you find them ?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Not sure how old your pack is, but I have an old pack from the 90's and I bought a new Osprey two years ago. The new pack was around $150 and is at least 10x more comfortable. I only use it once a year but it was well worth the money to upgrade.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I ran around to several places that should have had straps but nothing was even close on mounting points and strap width. One of the REI sales folks told me about a gear repair shop down the street from them so I took the strap there and they are going to fix it for me. We'll see how they do.