Bad motor?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Just called.. Yes I did have an extended warranty (came with the deal/lease 84 mo or 70k miles), but no it's not valid anymore....Expired at 70k miles and I'm pushing 85k now :( So much for the cheap motor ;)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Stroker Or Hemi ???

I've thought about the hemi swap, but I think that's wayyy too much money just to be able to say it's got a hemi. SBC I think is the way to go...

Stroker is a waste of money, IMO... Now if you did the stroker, a Hesco aluminum CNC hi flow head, cam and roller rockers then you'll have something!

78mitsu

I've thought about the hemi swap, but I think that's wayyy too much money just to be able to say it's got a hemi. SBC I think is the way to go...

Stroker is a waste of money, IMO... Now if you did the stroker, a Hesco aluminum CNC hi flow head, cam and roller rockers then you'll have something!

I'd personally add a little compression, 8.8 is pretty low, 9.2-9.5 would be better. ->sbc may be cheaper then re-building the 4.0

MRJ

Just a user

This is what I am doing, but no Hesco stuff. I have a cousin that hand ports heads and flows them for circle track folk. We are working on the best numbers for the 4.0 with a custom cam and roller rockers. I am also doing the new AEM, I believe, (I'll have to ask Jimmy who it was again) Jeep computer.

I am only going this route for my sheer cheapness.

I have a Northstar that would be really bitchen in a TJ....

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
This is what I am doing, but no Hesco stuff. I have a cousin that hand ports heads and flows them for circle track folk. We are working on the best numbers for the 4.0 with a custom cam and roller rockers. I am also doing the new AEM, I believe, (I'll have to ask Jimmy who it was again) Jeep computer.

The biggest problem with the 4.0 is the head. Casting 0331 is junk and is very well known for cracking. The head also doesn't flow well, it creates hot spots in the cylinder (pre detonation/ping!), etc. It also has thin water jackets and runners. All of this is the reason they are very ineficient and have high smog numbers.

If you did nothing else, you should at least get the Hesco head. They've addressed all of those issues....IMHO...;)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
still sayin it
http://alltruckinc.com/
every thing from 4.8liter for 645$ to a 8.1 Liter for 1800$$$
the 5.7 (350) is 1050$
mine goes like bra bra BRAAAAAAAAAAAT:D

I hear ya.. But I need to figure out what it will cost to fix the 4.0 I have now first. I mentioned to the wife yesterday that my motor might be shot, and the first thing out of her mouth was that I don't need the Jeep! She needs furniture!! And then it went into a b!tch session about me only thinking about my Jeep and never about her and how much nice furniture we could have with what I've spent on the Jeep over the past 6 months :ugh: She's right, but:-\

Bart

I hear ya.. But I need to figure out what it will cost to fix the 4.0 I have now first. I mentioned to the wife yesterday that my motor might be shot, and the first thing out of her mouth was that I don't need the Jeep! She needs furniture!! And then it went into a b!tch session about me only thinking about my Jeep and never about her and how much nice furniture we could have with what I've spent on the Jeep over the past 6 months :ugh: She's right, but:-\

BTDT, and you'll never win that argument. Good luck. That's why I'm without a buggy and slowly building the TJ.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.

Please post up what you find out. I'd love to get a little more punch out of my 4.0L with out breaking the bank. The HESCO head is nice but wat over priced. Once you add up the parts the SBC would be cheaper.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Please post up what you find out. I'd love to get a little more punch out of my 4.0L with out breaking the bank. The HESCO head is nice but wat over priced. Once you add up the parts the SBC would be cheaper.

I think so, too... That's why if I have to do anything, I'll go the SBC direction.... :-\

The most I'll put into this motor is a re-ring kit ($30), some new main/rod bearings, a gasket set and some minor head work/used head. ...And thats only so I can get it back on the road until the little lady gets what she wants ;) Gotta keep her happy. When she is happy I can have anything I want (and she's buying kinda thing). But when she's not happy....:-\:eek::sick::rofl: