Ball Joint Installation

I was able to finally get the bottom ball joint out last night (after bending not one, but two presses from Advance Auto) and a combination of torch... PB.... torch.. PB... torch .. PB... I've searched many threads, watched several good videos, and didn't really find what I was looking for.... so here's my question! I've seen in some of the youtubes people spraying the ball joint and seat before installation. I'm looking for recommendations what to use as an installation lube... should i just use some anti seize or not... Thanks... Roger

zander13

Buy one of the cheap harbor freight free-standing hydraulic jack presses. They are well worth the money if you plan on doing very much work on your vehicle. I use it to press in and out ball joints, separate bearings from axle shafts, press bearings onto and off of ring carriers and ton of other stuff. If you have access to a press you can put a large diameter deep well socket over the lower ball joint and use an extension or piece of scrap metal to run through the upper ball joint hole in the knuckle and press it in. You shouldn't need any lube to press in a ball joint. Ease of pressing in the ball joint will also depend on if the ball joint has knurling around where is presses into the knuckle. Some ball joints have no knurling and some have light to deep knurling. Usually depends on the quality of ball joint you are installing. If you are still using the "wrench" down type press; sometimes hitting the knuckle with a hammer will shock the joint a little and let the ball joint slip in a little. It just needs something to help release the stored up energy from the press. A little lube may help with this type of press, but I normally don't need any lube when using the harbor freight press.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
The trick I learned while working on SixstringSteves taco was to apply a significant amount of pressure with the press then start tapping on the mount with a hammer. I was doing this with a 2lb hammer and would work my way around the ring the ball joint is pressed into. The tapping would cause the ball joint to move a fraction of a mm to relieve the pressure from the press. Tighten, tap, repeat till it falls out. This worked when no amount of torque on the press screw would budge it.

thenag

Once I get the knuckles off the axle I take them to Six States and throw some money at them. I think it is like $40.00 to remove the old ball joints and install all 4 new ball joints. I buy spicer ball joints from six states so I have to go over there anyway. Usually they have them done the same day or next day.

But you were asking about putting lube on the ball joint before installing presumably to make them easier to get out next time. I have no clue, but I did put anti-seize on the last ones I did so I will let you know in 5-10 years.

Nathan
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?83436-Nathan-and-Tanja-s-99-XJ-Build-up

gertsch

I use the copper antisieze usually. Not all ball joints are mounted in the knuckles some are mounted in the inner c's. so some would have to take the whole jeep in.

Not sure if I'm getting weak in my old age, or if this is one tuff u-joint in the passenger axle.... finally got it half apart tonight!!! part of me wishes I had pulled the bearing assembly so i'd be working with only the axle, but then again, considering how seized up everything else has been, i'm sure that would have been equally as difficult!!!! at this rate I ought to have one side done in about another week!!! LOL and yes I can still laugh about it!!! although it is tempting to run it by the shop and pay the $30 for them to do it... but living on a fixed income that takes away from other things i want to do...