ballastic fab and their shipping

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
I know Ballistic Fab has taken a lot of knocks lately over there slow shipping or back ordered products. I know I really bashed them in the last few weeks, but I also believe when a person (or company) goes out of their way to make things right, they also deserve some praise.

After checking all the parts I had purchased for my project, I realized I had made a mistake on several brackets. After looking around to try and match up what I already had, I decided to take another chance with Ballistic fab and placed another order. (Just to make sure I had the same matching brackets.)

After reading my posts about the experience I had with Ballistic Fab in the last few months, Dave at Ballistic Fab sent me an email stating he would send me a free spanner wrench for all the trouble I have had with his company. (This was on Saturday the 16th) I replied to his email informing him of the pending order. Dave went out of his way to make sure I would receive my order and the spanner wrench no later than Tuesday the 19th. (He sent me an email on Sunday the 17th after driving to his office and checking my order and products to verify everything was in stock and would be shipped on Monday, next day air.) I received all the products on Tuesday as well as a free $45.00 spanner socket and a free spanner wrench.

Dave has assured me, his top priority is to regain the trust his company has lost. He states, part of the problems stem from his company’s inability to get parts plated in a timely manner casing everything to back up. He states he is now working with a new company on the plating and should be able to get back to having parts in stock. (This new plating is a different color which is why I believed the joints I received a few weeks ago where not plated, but where, just a different color of plating).

I don't know how much things will change at Ballistic, if anything, but I can say, Dave went out of his way to make things right with me and I'm sure he would do the same for anyone having problems with orders. I would and will continue to do business with them knowing if there is a problem, I now have an inside guy to go to.

If you are having problems with Ballistic, contact Dave at: dave@ballisticfabrication.com

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
dave really worked hard at setting things right for me like i said above, he is a stand-up guy and ended up sending me a backordered part via overnight-air. it's very clear he wants the company to have a good rep

take it FWIW

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Exactly. If you're gonna be honest, be honest. If the company sucks, then say so; but if they step it up, it's only fair to say so as well.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
What's that? Ballistic ripped someone off, AND stole their design? But... but.. they have a new philosophy!!!

...and I think it's "be slicker and more secretive when we steal". :mad: That's really a shame.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
It really is... (a shame)

I can see an individual copying a cool product for his own use. But it's just flat unethical to copy another businesses product to sell for yourself. Never mind about it being legal or not, it's definately an issue of morality.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
It really is... (a shame)

I can see an individual copying a cool product for his own use. But it's just flat unethical to copy another businesses product to sell for yourself. Never mind about it being legal or not, it's definately an issue of morality.

Problem is that it's really hard to "take their word" that they didn't copy it because of their history of copying MANY other products for many other designers / shops.

I mean, if your going to "copy" something, make it better and make it your own. Build upon the idea to come out with something better. They don't even try.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Problem is that it's really hard to "take their word" that they didn't copy it because of their history of copying MANY other products for many other designers / shops.

I mean, if your going to "copy" something, make it better and make it your own. Build upon the idea to come out with something better. They don't even try.

Exactly!!!

BallisticDave

I'm more than happy to address any questions any of you may have, or there is the pictures of the design work that was done in 2006 available for all to view on the Pirate forum.

I believe I have been able to help all of you who have asked me for assistance, so this case in no different. I am happy to help where I can.

Hope everyone is having a good 2011 so far. Dave

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Are you going to repost all your deleted responses?

Personally, while I am inclined NOT to believe you, I think (regarding the Pirate thread) that:

1. your pictures DO prove that you had a similar frame plate in the works before your detractor sent you files.
2. your FARO arm pic doesn't prove things either way.
3. there are only so many ways to skin a cat.

4. your laser operator screwed the pooch and never should have sent those sh*tty pieces out, ESPECIALLY considering past issues.
5. no matter what you say, people are going to keep their opinions, likely based on past actions.

*sigh

BallisticDave

Are you going to repost all your deleted responses?

Personally, while I am inclined NOT to believe you, I think (regarding the Pirate thread) that:

1. your pictures DO prove that you had a similar frame plate in the works before your detractor sent you files.
2. your FARO arm pic doesn't prove things either way.
3. there are only so many ways to skin a cat.

4. your laser operator screwed the pooch and never should have sent those sh*tty pieces out, ESPECIALLY considering past issues.
5. no matter what you say, people are going to keep their opinions, likely based on past actions.

*sigh

I am assuming your first question is in reference to all of my deleted posts here in RME, which for clarification were deleted because I felt I was unable to effectively help the folks here and became concerned that my presence was spawning more negativity from the members here. When I began to pm members here, I was able to assist them on a one on one basis and in turn have opted to try again. I really enjoy this forum and the members I try to come here to read about what's going on often, but rarely post in any forum with the exception of maybe Pirate, but even there I am not a super poster.

At this point, you're absolutely correct, there is nothing more that can be said to change anyone's mind. People will always believe what they choose to believe which is their right.

All the best! Dave

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Thanks for your input Dave, but just like all the other vendors here that support our forum I have to ask (again, for the 3rd time) that if you want to run a customer service game here you need to get a red blue gear next to your name.

http://www.rme4x4.com/vendor_rules.php

Last edited:

BallisticDave

Thanks for your input Dave, but just like all the other vendors here that support our forum I have to ask (again, for the 3rd time) that if you want to run a customer service game here you need to get a red blue gear next to your name.

http://www.rme4x4.com/vendor_rules.php

Please feel free to delete my posts if I am violating your rules. I understand if that is what you must do. I just hoped that RME and the members here would like to know all sides of a situation, not just one.

brandonlmb

brandonlmb
I feel a bit reasonable for this thread. I started it a few months ago since all the issues I had with ballistic Dave and Dave along has gotten things straightened out for me

Dan Fredrickson

Quick with a Laser!
Not to be PRO or CON about Balistic but yes, I do watch my competitors and their actions very closely. I hope this dosen't sound to crass but it is the way I see it.

There seem to be 3 types of companies in this business. The ones that stock what they sell, the ones that think they can make it as they sell it, & the drop shippers. You want to deal with the companies that stock what they sell.

We take great pains to stock everything we sell. I have over $500K in inventory sitting on the shelves, it costs' alot to do that. When we opened I decided from the start that was the way we were going to run things and we slowly built up inventory levels but the day I opened the doors we had $40,000 in parts and we only made 50 items. We only sell our own designs and I have a pool of 5 laser cutters and benders to draw from.

We try very hard to never run out of anything but the dynamics of the internet and the way things go on a tear we do run out of something now and then. When I do we do our best to get in back on the shelves immediately. We run about 98-99% in stock with 460 items to keep track of.

Trying to keep up with a claimed 3500 part numbers with one average size laser could be the problem they have. If they are as big as they say they must be farming out 2/3's of the laser cutting and then they need to be committed to building a huge inventory to "have it in stock" because laser cutters need lead time to have the job done.

Finding a quality plater is easy. Tucson has most of a million people in the metropolitan area and if that isn't enough Phoenix is 90 miles away with over 5 million. If I can get high quality plating overnight in a town like Sacramento they aren't trying very hard.

I saw an older post from them stating they couldn't get a good screenprinter for tshirts and that was the delay. You can pretty much find screenprinters on every street corner and if you are shaving pennies throw them some quantity, we have ours made 500 at a time...

I do understand the pressure from pending orders, you can sell all you want but you had better be able to get them out the door. Over the holidays we have our year end sale, we don't come out with new products for 2 months prior because that would take away from money & time we need to spend to have a high inventory level for the holidays and we still ran out of 14 items. The last 2 weeks we have been in a huge press to catch up. Yesterday we finally got where I feel comfortable but we are still a few days behind.

Something else I have seen over the years is company after company living beyond their means. If I don't have the money I don't buy it. We own our inventory outright, no loans, no 90 day float, I pay for it as it comes in the door and in the case of heims I pay for it 30 days in advance to have them made to my specs. My takehome pay for the last 5 years has been less than $20,000 a year, my real income is in the inventory that is bought and paid for and sitting on the shelves! I don't have a couple of $100,000 vehicles to show how cool I am, I drive a '00 Ranger on the street and a beat up FJ40 on the trail. In a couple of years I can get the toys but customers and orders come first! On the other hand I know of a few companies living on Mommies money, they never have to show a profit or care about what people think. I had to work to get to where I am today and my 12 employees rely on me for a paycheck.

BTW, owning that FARO device is just the wrong direction in my mind. Doing the work makes you understand how it works. Being able to copy anything, draw your own conclusions...

Lastly, Dave is a salesman. I would truly hope he is committed to bringing about some changes but change comes from the top... At Ruffstuff I am the top, I don't answer the phone much anymore but if you feel you need to talk to me ask and whomever is answering the phone will get me. Garett is the General Manager and he is just as available to anyone.

I do hope they get it together because the game wouldn't be as much fun without them!

Dan Fredrickson

Quick with a Laser!
I replied to this thread because Ruffstuff was mentioned, it was said that we took 3 weeks to deliver a product. It likely happened, we run out of stuff also.

I took it further to explain how we normally ship very quickly and how we go about it. This thread was not started by Balistic and at the point we are classed with another vender I will enter a thread and set the record straight.

Also, Sacramento has about a million people in the area so we are about the same size as Tucson.

On all of the sites I advertise on I regularly search for Ruffstuff mentions to see if I can be of service. It just happens that we are mentioned in many complaint threads about them as another option.

The 2 examples I used did happen on I believe the Pirate 4x4 Forum...Perhaps I should not have used the examples but I do not wish to be classed as anything like Balistic.

Chevycrew

Very well said Dan.

I understand the need for the reply in this thread. You were brought into it (by me...) but, your post has valid points and did not come across as attacking.

Side note, I was looking at anti-wrap perches for a 14 bolt, those little nubs are a cool idea! You should get another order from me soon.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Not to be PRO or CON about Balistic but yes, I do watch my competitors and their actions very closely. I hope this dosen't sound to crass but it is the way I see it.

There seem to be 3 types of companies in this business. The ones that stock what they sell, the ones that think they can make it as they sell it, & the drop shippers. You want to deal with the companies that stock what they sell.

We take great pains to stock everything we sell. I have over $500K in inventory sitting on the shelves, it costs' alot to do that. When we opened I decided from the start that was the way we were going to run things and we slowly built up inventory levels but the day I opened the doors we had $40,000 in parts and we only made 50 items. We only sell our own designs and I have a pool of 5 laser cutters and benders to draw from.

We try very hard to never run out of anything but the dynamics of the internet and the way things go on a tear we do run out of something now and then. When I do we do our best to get in back on the shelves immediately. We run about 98-99% in stock with 460 items to keep track of.

Trying to keep up with a claimed 3500 part numbers with one average size laser could be the problem they have. If they are as big as they say they must be farming out 2/3's of the laser cutting and then they need to be committed to building a huge inventory to "have it in stock" because laser cutters need lead time to have the job done.

Finding a quality plater is easy. Tucson has most of a million people in the metropolitan area and if that isn't enough Phoenix is 90 miles away with over 5 million. If I can get high quality plating overnight in a town like Sacramento they aren't trying very hard.

I saw an older post from them stating they couldn't get a good screenprinter for tshirts and that was the delay. You can pretty much find screenprinters on every street corner and if you are shaving pennies throw them some quantity, we have ours made 500 at a time...

I do understand the pressure from pending orders, you can sell all you want but you had better be able to get them out the door. Over the holidays we have our year end sale, we don't come out with new products for 2 months prior because that would take away from money & time we need to spend to have a high inventory level for the holidays and we still ran out of 14 items. The last 2 weeks we have been in a huge press to catch up. Yesterday we finally got where I feel comfortable but we are still a few days behind.

Something else I have seen over the years is company after company living beyond their means. If I don't have the money I don't buy it. We own our inventory outright, no loans, no 90 day float, I pay for it as it comes in the door and in the case of heims I pay for it 30 days in advance to have them made to my specs. My takehome pay for the last 5 years has been less than $20,000 a year, my real income is in the inventory that is bought and paid for and sitting on the shelves! I don't have a couple of $100,000 vehicles to show how cool I am, I drive a '00 Ranger on the street and a beat up FJ40 on the trail. In a couple of years I can get the toys but customers and orders come first! On the other hand I know of a few companies living on Mommies money, they never have to show a profit or care about what people think. I had to work to get to where I am today and my 12 employees rely on me for a paycheck.

BTW, owning that FARO device is just the wrong direction in my mind. Doing the work makes you understand how it works. Being able to copy anything, draw your own conclusions...

Lastly, Dave is a salesman. I would truly hope he is committed to bringing about some changes but change comes from the top... At Ruffstuff I am the top, I don't answer the phone much anymore but if you feel you need to talk to me ask and whomever is answering the phone will get me. Garett is the General Manager and he is just as available to anyone.

I do hope they get it together because the game wouldn't be as much fun without them!

That's great Dan, now only if you would come through on those diff covers for the 44a life would be great! Thank goodness BTF had them on the shelf and at my door step within 72 hours of ordering. I paid more for their product, but received great service and they had it when I needed it. I'm sure that "one of these days" you will finally get around to designing and building a 44a diff cover and possibly even a decent truss for it, but until then you will lose customers to the manufacturers who offer it in the present.